neutrocclusion vs normal occlusion

Started by DrGeek
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrGeek

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the difference between neutrocclusion and normal occlusion? Class I is neutro but not normal. Why is not normal? It seems to have the normal cusp-groove relationship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
crazy_sherm said:
Angle's class I definition only takes into consideration 1st molar relationship. You can have class I first molar alignment, but crowding in the anteriors, misaligned canines, etc. Normal occlusion refers to ideal.

Oh ok, thanks. I thought both 1st molars and canines are used for classification. I guess canines are used to confirm the molar relationships or to classify occlusion when a molar is missing
 
crazy_sherm said:
Angle's class I definition only takes into consideration 1st molar relationship. You can have class I first molar alignment, but crowding in the anteriors, misaligned canines, etc. Normal occlusion refers to ideal.

Normal is different from ideal. Normal occlusion might contain very minimal rotations, crowding, spacing, etc.... Ideal (perfect) occlusion is found in less than 5 per cent of the population.
 
Ramzi said:
Normal is different from ideal. Normal occlusion might contain very minimal rotations, crowding, spacing, etc.... Ideal (perfect) occlusion is found in less than 5 per cent of the population.


Correct.. normal occlusion is a physiological concept, while ideal occlusion is an anatomical concept