neutrocclusion vs normal occlusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between neutrocclusion and normal occlusion? Class I is neutro but not normal. Why is not normal? It seems to have the normal cusp-groove relationship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Angle's class I definition only takes into consideration 1st molar relationship. You can have class I first molar alignment, but crowding in the anteriors, misaligned canines, etc. Normal occlusion refers to ideal.

crazy_sherm said:
Angle's class I definition only takes into consideration 1st molar relationship. You can have class I first molar alignment, but crowding in the anteriors, misaligned canines, etc. Normal occlusion refers to ideal.

Oh ok, thanks. I thought both 1st molars and canines are used for classification. I guess canines are used to confirm the molar relationships or to classify occlusion when a molar is missing

crazy_sherm said:

Normal is different from ideal. Normal occlusion might contain very minimal rotations, crowding, spacing, etc.... Ideal (perfect) occlusion is found in less than 5 per cent of the population.

Ramzi said:
Normal is different from ideal. Normal occlusion might contain very minimal rotations, crowding, spacing, etc.... Ideal (perfect) occlusion is found in less than 5 per cent of the population.

Correct.. normal occlusion is a physiological concept, while ideal occlusion is an anatomical concept