sanscilantro

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2017
Hi!

I came across this question in the ASDA I-N packet, and was confused about the answer.

Question: Which of the following anatomic structures of a maxillary first molar moves through the distofacial groove of a mandibular first molar?
a. Mesial marginal ridge
b. Distal marginal ridge
c. Mesiofacial cusp
d. Distofacial cusp
e. Oblique ridge
Ans: D. Distofacial cusp

Could someone please explain why D is the correct answer (preferably w/ a diagram or something if possible)? I'm having a lot of problems with occlusion questions >.<

(I am preparing for NDBE I).

cooliyak

Established Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2012
Colorado
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Hi!

I came across this question in the ASDA I-N packet, and was confused about the answer.

Question: Which of the following anatomic structures of a maxillary first molar moves through the distofacial groove of a mandibular first molar?
a. Mesial marginal ridge
b. Distal marginal ridge
c. Mesiofacial cusp
d. Distofacial cusp
e. Oblique ridge
Ans: D. Distofacial cusp

Could someone please explain why D is the correct answer (preferably w/ a diagram or something if possible)? I'm having a lot of problems with occlusion questions >.<

(I am preparing for NDBE I).
34F801D6-A9E6-4D2E-B07C-E1BE3297655F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

averageasian

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
2.jpg

When you make a laterotrusive movement, the MB cusp of the MX1 will move thru the buccal groove of MN1. The DB cusp of MX1 will move thru the DB groove of MN1.

Remember that the buccal of MN1 has THREE cusps, so there will be TWO facial grooves that occlude with the MX1.

Assume Class I unless otherwise stated!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads