docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
At what point in our medical careers do we become immune to the incessant beeping of monitors and alarms. I'm sitting at my desk in the ER (2 hours past my shift waiting on a CT scan which is why I'm writing this) and there are about 5 different beeps beeping and no one, including me, is paying any attention. This would drive a normal person insane. Maybe I've gone nuts and just can't tell the difference any more.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
I'm staring to get used to hearing:

1) Vomiting
2) Screams of terror - psych pts, melodramatics, rarely people in serious distress
3) Muttering of "them doctors don't know what they're talkin' about. I've been waiting for four hours and..."
4) I'm going to sue you and this hospital for every penny!

etc.

Now that's numb.

GCS:3

Allegheny grad
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It takes a few shifts for me to get used to the beeping, then I'm fine. I think the beeps account for at least half of the "Oh, you want to work in the ER? THAT PLACE IS NUTS!" sentiment.

I personally find the "screams of terror" from some psych patients kind of entertaining. I'm convinced that psychiatrists have the best poker faces in medicine, because I couldn't help but laugh at a few of the patients on my psych months.

About the Ads

Chris_Topher

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2000
very far to the left
Status (Visible)
Our psych room has a 12"x12" window on the door, and it seems like there is always some crazy with their nose pressed up against the glass looking like Jack Nicholson with his head through the door in the Shining. They are always tapping on the window to get the attention of whoever walks by - like we are going to stop and say "Oh, did you want to go home? OK!" Tap Tap Tap. Tap Tap Tap Tap. Tap Tap Tap. Tap Tap. We just tune it out......Tap Tap Tap.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.