Never give up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My name is Jim and I've read all these posts for a year or so and wanted to add something. About 6 years ago I saved some guy in front of me from a wreck with a drunk driver. The cops thought he was dead but he had a pulse and I got him breathing. I was just some guy passing by who stopped to help.
During his recovery we became really good friends and I met more people who had been hurt. Over the period of a year or two I decided I wanted to become a doctor.

I had been on an academic scholarship for 4 years and then picked up an athletic scholarship. I had been goofing off on scholarship for 3 years when I arrived at that accident. By the time I decided I wanted to become a doctor I was down to a 2.99 GPA with 8 years of college. (my athletic scholarship only required a 2.0 cumulative GPA)
HERE IS MY REAL POINT
When I went into my counselors office to have him check off on my graduation, I realized he was my schools'preprofessional committee chairman. When I told him I wanted to go to Med school he basically suggested cosmetology. He said there was no chance of me getting into a med school. While we were sitting there, a student I used to tutor came into the office to thank the proffessor for all his help getting him into med school.

I got so mad that I went to another prof who wasn't a committee member and asked her opinion. She advised me to get a masters degree and then slam the MCATs. It seemed like a lot of work, and admission was not a sure thing at all. But at least it was a chance! I graduated in Dec with a Masters in Biochem and I just got accepted to DO school. (Note: I only applied DO because I preferred it to MD, but thats another story)

I only put this here to encourage everyone here to believe that you can do anything! I was never sure I was going to get in and I am still in disbelief because the road has been so long. I decided to do this when I was 26, now I'm 30. The time will pass anyway! I would not want to look back on my life at my dull job at 38 and say "If I had started then i'd be a doctor by now." I hope nobody in this forum ever gives up because someone else says its impossible. If you want to know more or if you have something to add I'd love to hear it

"Never give up! Never! Never! Never!"
Winston Churchill

------------------
Big Jim

Members don't see this ad.

Way to go Jim!!

Where are you going next year?

Michael
UHSCOM '04

Good story and congrats on your acceptance. If I were you I would write a little letter thanking the counselor for his/her expert opinion
smile.gif

So what COM are you going to be attending?

Josh

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I got into TUCOM. Iam looking forward to coming back to vegas for my 3rd and 4th years.

------------------
Big Jim

Hey Jim...

NICE F@#$ING WORK...

...meaning way to revive the crash victim.

Way to get into medical school, too! One of the best stories (on multiple levels) I've heard in a while, on this board and off.

Wheels

Moose:

MOOOOOOOOSE. MOOOOOOOOOSE. MOOOOOOOOOSE.

You are the man. There are a million people out there telling everybody what they can't do. There are only a few who will say what we can do. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Congrats. Great Job. Good Luck.

Sheon

P.S. MOOOOOOOSE!!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I really needed it. I just finished my first year of undergrad with a low 3 point and was wandering if I should continue, I'm sure I will. The same thing happened to my father. He went to his high school counselor before he graduated and they told him he shouldn't even go to college. From there he was accepted to optometry school after only 2 yrs of under grad and was done with optometry after four. He now has the largest private practice in our part of the state, over 15,000 patients. Let that tell everyone never to give up!
Thanks again for your story!

[This message has been edited by rpames (edited 05-17-2000).]

Thanks again. If anyone else has a good story of why you want to go, or even why you didn't give up, post it. Everyone needs to hear from someone that its possible.

------------------
Big Jim

I came across the same type of Mr. Personality pre-med advisor once. The jerk told me that there was no way I would ever get into med school, as I was TOO OLD. The "great" next piece of advice he gave me was to quit the volunteer work I was doing, because I had enough volunteer experience already to show on my application, not that he thought it would ultimately matter anyways... When I told him that I volunteered because there was a need in my community, he looked at me like I was speaking in some foreign language.

Well, I guess he is probably still sitting in his stuffy office giving bad advice to yet another group of pre-meds, while I am finishing my second year of med school.

I am the first person to advocate that one has to look at his stregths and weakness realistically. However, hard work can turn a bad GPA around, grad studies and more hard work can also turn a bad undergrad GPA around. Nothing can change age, as it was my case, but it helps when people help you by informing you about schools which will not look at a previous career and age as a disadvantage (in my case, DO schools). If one wants something bad enough AND is willing to work for it, knowing the pros and cons of their decision, I don't see how they can fail. Failure is never trying!

Your replies really cheered me up. After being a PT for 8 years I decided to purue my dream of becoming an MD. I went to a prehealth advisor and she kept reminding me that my 3.85 science gpa was outdated. As a mom of two I am limited to apply to one school, I know it's limiting but she called it self defeating. I left depressed, but I am still going for it. It just so happens the school I am applying to is where I went to PT school, and I love there Health Science Center. Glad to see there are plenty of people getting lousy advice!

I am so encourged by all of your advices.
Yes, never give up your goal. Here's my story. I came to the U.S. at the age of 18 with broken English and I had explored some wild world since high school. I almost didn't learn anything when I was in high school back in my country and began partying more often as I came to the U.S.

However, I got into college and graduated in Health-related science(pre-PT program) last Dec. with overall GPA of only 2.8.(well, last 2year GPA was worse). Right after I got out of college, I truly changed my way and turned my life around which I restarted thinking about my future seriously and decided to become a physician. Well, I've always wanted to become a physician but I didn't have a gut to try and I was too immature that I preferred hanging out with friends much more. Basically, my past wild experience taught me and my maturity developed since then.

I almost researched about medical school admission process and found myself that I have a chance. I decided to go to grad school and get MPH next year. After finishing college, I retook some science classes and I'm planning to take other higher level science courses(undergrad level)at univ. until I get into the MPH program.

Now I'm glad that I had some volunteer and work experience at Physical Therapy committee because it's also somewhat relevant to what I'm going to pursue.
I'm also glad that I just got a full-time job at hospital as a clinical tech. (makes sh**y money)and even excited to learn many things at a hospital such as interacting with patients, medical terminology and so on.

I'm gonna show that everyone can do it if I can do it. Don't be too frustrated about your undergrad GPA. There's always another way to rebuild your grades or strengthen your application. This great challenge applies to someone who failed several times but truly fall in love with something you want to achieve or become. Keep trying...
Failure can be mother of success!!!