New 2008 NCAA Sports Tournaments/ Psychology Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantSteps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still time to dance baby! But now without the problematic poll (I will try to merge some comments from the other Thread here -oh never mind, there were very few posts).

First, here is a link for a bracket with all of the teams for the 2008 Men's Division I Basketball Tournament:

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/bracket

Second, I will post the Women's Division I Basketball Tournament Backets once they have been set this Monday the 17th (I know most of you are confused. Remember, this is not Clinical Psychology, more men are still accepted than women!:laugh:)

Here is the women's bracket:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/tournament/bracket

Third, I will even post the NCAA Division I Men's Frozen Four Brackets if anyone cares. As someone from last year posted "Hockey pucketh" :laugh:

So, everyone should post their predictions for the Final Four of any of the tournaments so we can all check back to see who was right. Everyone can also feel free to post predictions on individual games or later make new predictions if your favorite teams disappoint you.

More importantly, post your: reactions, thoughts of sports; psychology related studies and articles, and friendly trash talking of school - especially those which rejected you! Venting is healthy! :laugh:

Finally, pay special attention to last year's champions RayneeDeigh (I do no t think that she is picking Saskatchewan anymore) and Tkj (will be cheering on his #3 ranked in the MidWest Big Ten Champion Wisconsin Badgers!). Both will be getting special invitations. So will Paramour since she claims she may be boycotting.

Members don't see this ad.

1. North Carolina (No final four #1 surprises out of the East. NC is hardcore and became even stronger at the end of the season. However, I am looking forward to seeing some earlier round upsets).
2. Wisconsin (I love the end of the season run by these Badgers. Kansas always chokes and Georgetown was already beat by Pitt in the Big East Tournment, besides there are too many relatives on the team from their team in the 80's).
3. Pittsburgh (I will probably be wrong here but I do not think that Memphis was really challenged this year, Texas did not finish strong and Stanford is ranked too high. How does everyone like the Stanford vs Cornell match up? The Battle of the intellectuals - this game promises to have the highest combined SAT scores of the tournament:laugh:).
4.UCLA ( the West is tough this year. Duke, U Conn, WVU but I still like UCLA. This is also the region with the team with the Cinderella season: Drake - pay special attention to these guys lead by Adam Emmenecker - waht a name!)

My final four:

Memphis
North Carolina
Georgetown
Connecticut

Final two:

Georgetown
Memphis

Winner:
Georgetown

That's my facebook bracket, anyway. My yahoo one has Georgetown and Duke in the final two but my friend laughed at me for that so I decided to have more faith in my facebook bracket.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want the badgers in the final 4, but I can't see them getting by Kansas.

My final four mirrors the top 4 seeds:
North Carolina
Memphis (they have a cake walk bracket! I can't see Pitt taking this bracket)
Kansas. I do think Wisconsin will get all the way to Kansas, but I don't see them beating Kansas. Wisconsin has a great defense, but their offense can be so horrendous.
UCLA

Final two:
UCLA > Memphis
North Carolina > Kansas

Champion:
UCLA > North Carolina

TH is a one man army, but UCLA is ridiculous this year.

The women's bracket is out!

I posted it in the initial posting but here is the link again:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/tournament/bracket

I really do not follow the women's tournament (Empathiosis:love: would say this is because they do not wear skirts! :laugh:) but, supposedly, the teams are not as evenly matched as the men. Tennessee and UConn always win. Although last year there were some upsets at Rutgers was able to play in the Championship game.

Last year, there was an SDN poster who actually worked for one of the teams and had very interesting comments.

Men's Tournament:
Final 4: Tennessee, Georgetown, Memphis, & UCLA
Final 2: Tennessee & UCLA
Champion: UCLA

Women's Tournament
Final 4: Connecticut, Stanford, Tennessee, UNC
Final 2: Connecticut & Tennessee
Champion: Connecticut

Well that's it folks. It should be an exciting tournament.
A few comments:
I did not pick North Carolina in the men's bracket because I think they got a raw deal. They are going to have a very tough time with Arkansas in the 2nd round and got stuck with Tennessee in their bracket (who should have been a #1 seed). I also picked Georgetown in the bracket where Kansas is the 1 seed. I am in love with Beasly he looks incredible on the court and will be a star in the NBA, but I can't help but look at history: Kansas is known to choke and their coach has a history of it as well from his former program. UCLA will take their bracket and so will Memphis (although Texas will be TOUGH to beat in that bracket of theirs) and I think UCLA is the best team in the country and will survive nailbiters with Memphis and Tennessee in the Final 4.

As for the women: Biggest gripe in the world, why are Connecticut and Rutgers in the same bracket?!! Two teams from the same conference who have played twice already should not be in the same bracket. Besides that, they are the strongest two seed in the tournament, Rutgers that is (why is it that both OVERALL #1 seeds in the mens and womens tournaments got the toughest 2 seeds in their brackets?? The overall #1 is supposed to have the easiest route to the Final 4). The women's game has much more parity (2 of the last 3 champs have NOT been UConn or Tennessee) but let's face it in the end it always comes down to Connecticut and Tennessee. I think UConn survives Rutgers and Tenn. beats UNC in the Final 4. UConn will win their 6th National Title, putting them one behind the record of 7, held by none other than the Lady Vols of Tennessee.

Should be fun. Go HUSKIES!!!
Jon:)

North Carolina
Georgetown
Stanford
UCLA

UCLA over North Carolina in the finals.

"Big" upsets in the first round: #11 Kansas State over #6 USC, #10 St. Mary's over #7 Miami, #11 Western Kentucky over #6 Drake, #11 Kentucky over #6 Marquette. I have Butler upsetting Tennessee (2nd round) and Vanderbilt upsetting Kansas (3rd round) as some other upsets as well.

*edit* And go Irish! #5 seed vs. George Mason in the East.

does anybody see indiana upsetting north carolina??? im still not sure whos my pick....

but so far...

final four
Tennessee (or North Carolina) < Kansas
UCLA > Memphis

UCLA wins it all

Indiana? The entire team almost quit near the end of teh season when their coach was fired. NC may be upset but most likely not by Indiana.

does anybody see indiana upsetting north carolina??? im still not sure whos my pick....

but so far...

final four
Tennessee (or North Carolina) < Kansas
UCLA > Memphis

UCLA wins it all

Mt. St. Mary;s beats Coppin St in the play-in game!

There goes everyone's entire bracket!:laugh:

How come now one has mentioned Louisville anywhere?:laugh: GO CARDS!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Presidential Candidates have NCAA Tournament predictions. Well, they are very political about it. Obama picks UNC. McCain does not seem to have a pick but is running a bracket with campaign memorabilia as prizes. Mrs. Clinton has deferred to her husband.

And how about this fact:
"They are joining millions of Americans in following the annual National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament, a yearly ritual that that costs employers an estimated $1.7 billion in lost productivity."

$1.7 billion in lost productivity! :laugh:

I wonder how much money in lost productivity is caused by SDN Psychology? $6.75! :laugh:

How did everyone do?

I went 13 for 16 in both of my brackets tonight

I went 15 out of 16. Really thought George Mason had another upset in them this year, so much for that!!

Think everyone would've missed the boat on Belmont beating Duke if only Belmont could've held on!! It would've been worth having my bracket messed up to see Dook go out in the first round:)

Best of Luck tomorrow
Go UConn!
Jon

Okay, I claim no knowledge of NCAA basketball, I have no brackets, I know zip...BUT!!

I have to put the love out there for the Xavier Musketeers! It's nice to be affiliated with a school that has a winning team for once. They are rivals of my UG, but I am seriously thinking about switching my loyalties. :rolleyes: Around here, the predictions are that they have a shot at the final four, and they won yesterday, so who knows?

My final four:

Memphis
North Carolina
Georgetown
Connecticut

If you ask really really REALLY nicely, will they let you make a few minor changes? :oops: I didn't do a bracket this year as I tend to be terrible at it and by the second round I have one team left in the final four :laugh: Though one time when I was little I picked teams based on how their name sounded (let's just say a lot of #1 teams were out in the first round of my picks...) BUT I happened to really like the name Gonzaga and they happened to have an amazing run that year (George Mason-esque though they did it first) :D The one and only time I did really well in the pools!

If you ask really really REALLY nicely, will they let you make a few minor changes? :oops: I didn't do a bracket this year as I tend to be terrible at it and by the second round I have one team left in the final four :laugh: Though one time when I was little I picked teams based on how their name sounded (let's just say a lot of #1 teams were out in the first round of my picks...) BUT I happened to really like the name Gonzaga and they happened to have an amazing run that year (George Mason-esque though they did it first) :D The one and only time I did really well in the pools!

Actually I changed it at the last minute to Georgetown, UCLA, Michigan, and North Carolina.

Thank GOD.

Jeez, I drive back to my school city from my hometown and in the span of 8 hours my bracket is shot to hell. :laugh:

Jeez, I drive back to my school city from my hometown and in the span of 8 hours my bracket is shot to hell. :laugh:

See what you get for going to school? You should've just stayed home. ;)

The Sweet 16 (Men's BB Tournament) has been decided!

UNC
Wash St.
Louisville
Tenn
Kansas
Villanova
Wisconsin
Davidson (How did T4C know this?)
Memphis
Mich St.
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
Western Kentucky
Xavier
West Virginia

One of my major questions is: where does Stanford find 7ft. tall identical twins to play for their team? They had this before is the Collin twin. What are the chances of finding 7ft. tall twins? I say their medical school is genetically engineering humans to play for their own baskeball team!

UNC
Wash St.
Louisville
Tenn
Kansas
Villanova
Wisconsin
Memphis
Mich St.
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
Western Kentucky
Xavier
West Virginia

12 for 16...not horrible, but down from last year. :(

One of my major questions is: where does Stanford find 7ft. tall identical twins to play for their team? They had this before is the Collin twin. What are the chances of finding 7ft. tall twins? I say their medical school is genetically engineering humans to play for their own baskeball team!

:laugh:

I've got 10/16 on one of my brackets and 12/16 on the other.

However, Georgetown lost and I had them in the final two. Stupid Georgetown. :cry:

The Sweet 16 (Men's BB Tournament) has been decided!

UNC
Wash St.
Louisville
Tenn
Kansas
Villanova
Wisconsin
Memphis
Mich St.
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
Western Kentucky
Xavier
West Virginia

Woo-hoo! :hardy:

bump

Games tonight! Anyone excited? Xavier plays against WVU...isn't that Irish's program? ...i know I've seen someone post from there.

I do believe you are correct....I'm stoked!!

Earlier today on ESPN2 they were talking about the Sweet 16, and only TWO of the 3.5+ MILLION entries they had for their big tournament got all 16 teams correct. They interviewed one of the 2 people (a 13 yr old kid from the midwest), and it was a great interview. If he gets through to the final 4 (he too picked Davidson as a final 4 team!!), the hosts said they fly him out to talk about the Final 4 games with them on the show. How cool is that?!

go cards!!
(Louisville in case anyone was wondering:laugh:)

Congratulations to:

Xavier and UNC as the first two teams to advance to the elite eight!

Has everyone noticed that the network finds UNC games so boring that they hardly get any coverage?

Is it too early yet in the games to say that Louisville and UCLA are also going to advance?

I suppose we need some more coverage of the Women's Tournament and the NIT.

By the way, did anyone else notice that Donald Trump put his final episode of the Celebrity Apprentice up against the Sweet 16 games?

UCLA hits their foul shots.....every time. FT will be Memphis' biggest problem, and probably ultimate downfall. Great game by UCLA. WKU really showed up and pushed them to the limit. Congrats to a small school really giving UCLA a run for their money.

Does anyone know how many of the UCLA basketball cheerleaders/ dance team members are psychology majors?

I wish the most recent games were closer, but all of my picks won. It is crazy how competitive the ESPN Tourney is....I'm ranked in the top 3.2% of the tourney, and I still have 100k people ahead of me. :laugh: If Davidson can reach the Final 4, that should shoot me up the ranking, as only 0.59% of the 3.5+ million people picked them to do that.

GO DAVIDSON!!!!!!

Congratulations to UCLA and UNC! Half of the Final Four is set!

I have to admit that T4C was right on the money (T$C :laugh:) in predicting that Davidson would go far. How did they beat Wisconsin? I am always investigating for conspiracy theories. I say that Tkj has the Wisonsin players in class and gave them extra assignments and tests this week so that they would lose and his bracket predictions would remain intact! :laugh: However, the ride for Davidson must end tomorrow against Kansas - with all of those behaviorists in their corner, how could they lose?:laugh:

The Texas vs Memphis game should be good.

The NCAA Committee has really become good at determining the number 1 teams. The other teams can all be upset but all or most of the number 1 teams stick around until the end.

By the way, what are the TV commentators doing in not only comparing Hansborough of UNC to Michael Jordan but even going so far as to say that his will to win is superior to that of Jordan's?

There is Jordan....and then everyone else.

An argument can be made at the collegiate level there were better, but not in the pro's. I really hate hyperbole in regard to young athletes as they haven't earned anything....particularly in b-ball.

As for the tourney....I have Memphis losing to UT, though considering the last game, I don't know if that pick will hold up!!

I really want the badgers in the final 4, but I can't see them getting by Kansas.

My final four mirrors the top 4 seeds:
North Carolina
Memphis (they have a cake walk bracket! I can't see Pitt taking this bracket)
Kansas. I do think Wisconsin will get all the way to Kansas, but I don't see them beating Kansas. Wisconsin has a great defense, but their offense can be so horrendous.
UCLA

Final two:
UCLA > Memphis
North Carolina > Kansas

Champion:
UCLA > North Carolina

TH is a one man army, but UCLA is ridiculous this year.

Well, just as Tkj, and Tkj alone, predicted the Final Four is:

1. UNC
2. UCLA
3. Memphis
4. Kansas

However, Tkj has UCLA winning the whole thing. They will have to play better than they are playing now to beat UNC or even Memphis.

This may seem like Tkj did the safe picks but the fact is that this is the first time all the #1 teams made the Final Four in the Men's Tournament.

T4C was one shot away (just inches!) from having his Davidson pick make the Final Four. What a game! Davidson is hardcore!

Unfortunately, not so many SDNers have been shown much interest this year. I would still like to see an SDNer post who actually played or is playing in the tournament.

Well, just as Tkj, and Tkj alone, predicted the Final Four is:

1. UNC
2. UCLA
3. Memphis
4. Kansas

However, Tkj has UCLA winning the whole thing. They will have to play better than they are playing now to beat UNC or even Memphis.

This may seem like Tkj did the safe picks but the fact is that this is the first time all the #1 teams made the Final Four in the Men's Tournament.

T4C was one shot away (just inches!) from having his Davidson pick make the Final Four. What a game! Davidson is hardcore!

Unfortunately, not so many SDNers have been shown much interest this year. I would still like to see an SDNer post who actually played or is playing in the tournament.

If you mean *actually* playing in the tournament, I reckon them players don't have much time to post on SDN:)

I think it's pretty cool that this is the first time *ever* that all 4 #1 seeds have made it to the final 4. Even though I had Kansas in my final 4, I was rooting for Steph Curry. That kid is wow.

KU BABY!! WOOO HOOO!! Haha I'm already super pumped to go there next year!

With the UT and Davidson losses....I've officially booked my tickets for....The Fail Boat. :(

Failboat.jpg

With the UT and Davidson losses....I've officially booked my tickets for....The Fail Boat. :(

Failboat.jpg

Is that RayneeDeigh at the bow singing "My Heart Will Go On"- the theme song from Titanic? :laugh:

Well almost. There were some upsets! Stanford beat Maryland and LSU beat UNC, so half of the final four is set. Now Rutgers plays UConn and Tenn plays Tex A&M for the otehr two spots.

Oh, by the way the Men's NIT Final Four is set: Ohio State, Mississippi, Florida, and UMass.

Well, I checked through the posts and no one predicted Kansas vs Memphis in the championship. Although RayneeDeigh did have Memphis in the final but against G-town. Did UCLA and UNC actually show up to their respective Final Four games? How do you think Davidson feels since they lost to Kansas by one point and Kansas destroyed UNC.

So now that we are all in the same boat, except T4C who posted a picture of himself sinking, who do you think will win?

I will say Kansas even though Memphis has so many wins. Unfortunately, with these teams, many people will not even watch!

By the way, congratulations to Ohio State for winning the NIT! They finally did not choke!

They say Kansas is well rounded, but this seems to be Memphis' year. I'll be rooting for Memphis because they play entertaining basketball, and I like their coach.

With you, I'm definitely for Memphis. I hate Kansas (though I'm happy they trampled Carolina).

Well first of all I am very depressed Stanford beat the UConn women tonight. However with the #1 freshman in the country this year and the top high school player coming in next year (A 6'5 GUARD), I think they may win 2-3 over the next couple years. I will be rooting for Stanford heavily on Tuesday nite. I HATE Tennessee obviously and don't wanna see them win their 8th.

As for the men: How bout those Tar Heels huh?! Roy Williams continually choked as head coach of Kansas. And this is the THIRD time he's had the #1 overall seed since he's coached North Carolina and they've choked the last two times (coming out completely flat), he won a championship the first time around with players he didn't even recruit. I must say it was nice seeing his former program beat him. That said this is going to be an incredible game, two teams that love to push the tempo and love the full court game. I'm gonna go with Kansas just because they have SO much talent and their bigs seem so agressive in this tournament. But I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Memphis pull it out.

Jon