New 3rd ed. Boards and Wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Induc(junc)tion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the new edition? Is it any better/worse. I was just thinking about getting it because I notice a lot of errors in the 2nd edition. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got it and briefly compared it my old B&W. The pages are glossy, if that matters, but the most striking thing was the use of color pictures throughout the book - not just centered in the middle. It's a minor annoyance to flip back and forth from the associated section to the color plates, but it makes it convenient for me.

It's also a bit shorter and more narrow, which might explain in part the higher number of pages.

Jury's still out on whether this was a solid purchase. But I'm weak when it comes to buying newer or newest editions.

It could really be improved with the addition of an extra section or 2 and the deletion of the gratuitous 75 questions in the back.

*bump*

Anyone else have more feedback or opinions on the new 3rd edition vs the 2nd edition?

Members don't see this ad :)
One guy on Amazon doesn't like it:

MANY MISTAKES, don't believe everything you read., August 5, 2006
This edition is OK if you can catch all of the several mistakes. THE FOLLOWING CORRECTIONS SHOULD BE MADE: 1. Table 1-33, Bart's is an abnormal hemoglobin composed of 4 gamma chains (not 4 Beta). 2. Table 1-37, IVIG is NOT a treatment for TTP but it IS a treatment for ITP. 3. Table 3-13, a benign tumor of the ovary is a cystadenOMA, NOT a cystadenoCARCINOMA. 4. Table 5-13, Dog bites that are "provoked" are LESS likely to be associated with rabies while unprovoked bites are more associated with rabies. 5. Table 1-15, Squamous cell carcinoma (not small cell as the book claims) is associated with hypercalcemia due to secretion of PTHrp. These mistakes are MAJOR. Who knows how many more there are. . .that I missed. If you can't trust SOME of the information, how can you trust ANY of it?

I just got it...looks pretty good. I don't have the 2nd Edition though....

One guy on Amazon doesn't like it:

MANY MISTAKES, don't believe everything you read., August 5, 2006
This edition is OK if you can catch all of the several mistakes. THE FOLLOWING CORRECTIONS SHOULD BE MADE: 1. Table 1-33, Bart's is an abnormal hemoglobin composed of 4 gamma chains (not 4 Beta). 2. Table 1-37, IVIG is NOT a treatment for TTP but it IS a treatment for ITP. 3. Table 3-13, a benign tumor of the ovary is a cystadenOMA, NOT a cystadenoCARCINOMA. 4. Table 5-13, Dog bites that are "provoked" are LESS likely to be associated with rabies while unprovoked bites are more associated with rabies. 5. Table 1-15, Squamous cell carcinoma (not small cell as the book claims) is associated with hypercalcemia due to secretion of PTHrp. These mistakes are MAJOR. Who knows how many more there are. . .that I missed. If you can't trust SOME of the information, how can you trust ANY of it?

WOW! Thanks for posting that! Too bad I already dropped way too much cash at the bookstore here to get it....

bumping thread

I'm looking to save some money and would like to buy the older version of boards and wards.

Is there a significant difference b/w the 2nd and 3rd edition? Does it really matter which edition you have?

Thanks

hi,
I'm a new 3rd year medical student and I've just started reading B&W (3rd ed.). I've noticed quite a few things which seem to contradict what I've learned for USMLE Step 1 and I'm just wondering if it's due to my ignorance :rolleyes: or if they're actual errors in the book. Can anyone please comment on the following things I've found so far? Also, is there an official errata to this book? Thanks for your help!!! :)

1. Table 1-13 (p. 49). The book says transudate is due to low oncotic pressure and exudate is due to increased hydrostatic pressure. My understanding according to Goljan RR (2nd ed., p. 325) is that transudate is due to high hydrostatic pressure OR low oncotic pressure, whereas exudate is due to increased vessel permeability.

2. p. 35 Mitral stenosis Tx: (5) "Never give positive inotropic agent for mitral stenosis...." but a few lines earlier it states that Digitalis can be used as one of the Tx... ?!

3. p. 57 chronic atrophic gastritis. (c) "NSAID are #1 cause of chronic gastritis in antrum" (type B).... my understanding is that type B chronic gastritis is mostly due to H. pylori (Goljan p. 338)

4. Table 1-20 (p. 68) Viral hepatitis. book says ALT & AST both increase and the ratio is about 1:1. My understanding is that in viral hepatitis ALT > AST (Goljan p. 370).

5. Table 1-20 (p. 68) Viral hepatitis. book says anti-HBcAg Ab confers immunity. My understanding is that only anti-HBsAg Ab confers immunity and anti-HBcAg is an indicator for acute vs. chronic disease (Goljan p. 371).

every book has mistakes... even the cherished FA for Step 1 was full of mistakes. I'm sure RR goljan is chalk-full of errors also in fact i think there was an update where a listings of all the mistakes were made. But just to discount the whole book because of some errors would mean no book is worth buying. You also have to keep in mind that new editions will come out "fixing" these mistakes while allowing new mistakes to be made. I for one like the 3rd edition B&W - it doesnt have everything in it, but it does the job.

Another mistake:

p. 346 (under Si/Sx of Psychosis)

"Delusion = false interpretation of external reality"

What they described there is an illusion, rather than a delusion. Delusions are erroneous beliefs or ideas that are held despite evidence to the contrary. In short, an illusion is a perceptual disturbance, while a delusion is a belief disturbance.