New ABFAS Recertification Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious. Do you think it's clinically relevant to be able to identify non-cancerous tumors in a bone? By name? Isn't that what the radiologist is supposed to do? Certainly it's important to be able to identify if a bone tumor is invasive, etc, but clinically speaking, a benign bone tumor of any kind in the calcaneus will be treated the same way, no? Especially if symptomatic, right?

This is precisely the problem I have with this. After 20 years in practice, how does it show my "clinical competency" that it is a unicameral bone cyst vs. an adipose tumor? Especially with the horrible resolution of the pics included in the "test"? Show me a nice multilobulated tumor if you want me to see it. Not some blurry image, that could or could not be more than one lobule with a very distinct looking focal area, that is precisely what a unicameral bone cyst looks like. You know how many of those I've seen in 20 years. TWO.

Does anyone else have a problem with this being done every quarter? I mean, I have a good 15-20 years left of practice. I have to do four of these a year for the next 15 years???? Seriously???

Clinically relevant questions

Which of the following complications are associated with implant arthroplasty?
1. Joint stiffness
2. One star Google review
3. Disparaging remarks from a colleague on the Hallux Rigidus Science and Support Facebook group
4. All of the above

You're totally right about the bone tumors but I prefer the new format rather than waiting for 8-10 years to do the all-or-nothing exam. For my recertification test I had to drive three hours over a mountain pass to a testing center in some random office building. What a way to burn up a day. With this new format I can spend 20 minutes four times per year while dressed in just my monkey pants if I want to. Plus, the minimum score requirement is really low (p-value 0.1) so it's pretty much a no-pressure test.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm curious. Do you think it's clinically relevant to be able to identify non-cancerous tumors in a bone? By name? Isn't that what the radiologist is supposed to do? Certainly it's important to be able to identify if a bone tumor is invasive, etc, but clinically speaking, a benign bone tumor of any kind in the calcaneus will be treated the same way, no? Especially if symptomatic, right?

This is precisely the problem I have with this. After 20 years in practice, how does it show my "clinical competency" that it is a unicameral bone cyst vs. an adipose tumor? Especially with the horrible resolution of the pics included in the "test"? Show me a nice multilobulated tumor if you want me to see it. Not some blurry image, that could or could not be more than one lobule with a very distinct looking focal area, that is precisely what a unicameral bone cyst looks like. You know how many of those I've seen in 20 years. TWO.

Does anyone else have a problem with this being done every quarter? I mean, I have a good 15-20 years left of practice. I have to do four of these a year for the next 15 years???? Seriously???
No, not clinically relevant in day-to-day practice...but it'd be good to have the names of these tumors somewhat fresh in my mind if I end up getting a patient that has one...

Also, being in a rural setting--I strongly doubt any radiologist around here is gonna identify one of those tumors correctly--so yeah it kinda falls on me unfortunately. In 10 years I've only seen 1. I wonder how many tumors have seen me though...

I took this 30 question quiz as more of a learning/brushing up opportunity--I don't feel like it tested my clinical competency...I mean, the only way to do that would be to follow me around for a day in the office/OR, and that ain't happening...yet.

No, I'm not thrilled that I have to do this every quarter (actually you get a few quarters off during the 10 years, so it's not actually 40 tests--I think it comes in as 20-something tests in the 10 years if I recall correctly?). As others have said, though, I still think it beats having to stress over a high stakes exam that you would feel like you had to study for every 10 years...This literally took me less than 30 minutes, with zero studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took it. Wasnt that bad. There were some questions with multiple correct answers and you had to figure out what the test taker wanted the most (those are the worse questions). Otherwise better than every 10 years.

Just curious. What is the passing score? I didnt see anywhere that said what a passing score was.

Edit:

For Diplomates with time-limited certificates (certified after 1990): The current LEAD Performance Requirement is an MDT p-value of 0.1. This means if a Diplomate’s calculated MDT p-value is lower than 0.1, there is a probability of less than ten percent the Diplomate is keeping up to date with their knowledge. All Diplomates must be at or above the MDT standard by the end of their ten-year Foot Surgery certification cycle (by June 30 of their certification expiration year). There is a separate MDT p-value for RRA Surgery, so if a Diplomate holds an RRA Surgery Certification, they must be at or above the RRA Surgery MDT p-value standard on June 30 of their ten-year RRA Surgery certification cycle (by June 30 of their certification expiration year).

I personally have/had no issues with the pseudo exam. You have valid points but it’s not easy to create any form of exam and keep everyone happy.

I don’t mind taking these every quarter. Of course some of this is total bull and not relevant for every day practice. But to use a cliche I really don’t like…it is what it is.

When I took my exam there were still oral exams in Chicago. I was asked to read ECGs and interpret cardiac enzymes. Yeah, I do that all the time in practice, don’t you? That’s why I walk around the office with a stethoscope…..don’t want to miss that mild aortic insufficiency in my palliative patient.

I understand your concerns but also like the fact that I don’t have to study, spend a grand to sit in some crap hole testing center and take an exam that won’t even let me wear my friggin watch during the exam.

They will never make everyone happy, so take it for what it is, which is an attempt to keep everyone certified. They KNOW the financial implications of someone loses there certification status. So take a deep breath and know that you’re safe.

And if you think that when your kids are done college your financial obligation is over, I’ve got some land I want to sell you!

Not sure you’d qualify to work in Walmart in the absence of having some serious mutation. I try to avoid that place, but when I do torture myself and walk in, I am always amazed that I have never seen those mutants outside the store. It’s definitely a case for those who believe in birth control.

Damn, now I’m gonna have Walmart nightmares tonight.

I personally have/had no issues with the pseudo exam. You have valid points but it’s not easy to create any form of exam and keep everyone happy.

I don’t mind taking these every quarter. Of course some of this is total bull and not relevant for every day practice. But to use a cliche I really don’t like…it is what it is.

When I took my exam there were still oral exams in Chicago. I was asked to read ECGs and interpret cardiac enzymes. Yeah, I do that all the time in practice, don’t you? That’s why I walk around the office with a stethoscope…..don’t want to miss that mild aortic insufficiency in my palliative patient.

I understand your concerns but also like the fact that I don’t have to study, spend a grand to sit in some crap hole testing center and take an exam that won’t even let me wear my friggin watch during the exam.

They will never make everyone happy, so take it for what it is, which is an attempt to keep everyone certified. They KNOW the financial implications of someone loses there certification status. So take a deep breath and know that you’re safe.

And if you think that when your kids are done college your financial obligation is over, I’ve got some land I want to sell you!

Not sure you’d qualify to work in Walmart in the absence of having some serious mutation. I try to avoid that place, but when I do torture myself and walk in, I am always amazed that I have never seen those mutants outside the store. It’s definitely a case for those who believe in birth control.

I take offense to this. My cousin's ex-roommate's meth lab partner works at Walmart, slashing prices left and right.

You made me laugh. Thanks for that. Sorely needed today. Appreciate your input, sir.

I just took it. Wasnt that bad. There were some questions with multiple correct answers and you had to figure out what the test taker wanted the most (those are the worse questions). Otherwise better than every 10 years.

Just curious. What is the passing score? I didnt see anywhere that said what a passing score was.

Edit:

For Diplomates with time-limited certificates (certified after 1990): The current LEAD Performance Requirement is an MDT p-value of 0.1. This means if a Diplomate’s calculated MDT p-value is lower than 0.1, there is a probability of less than ten percent the Diplomate is keeping up to date with their knowledge. All Diplomates must be at or above the MDT standard by the end of their ten-year Foot Surgery certification cycle (by June 30 of their certification expiration year). There is a separate MDT p-value for RRA Surgery, so if a Diplomate holds an RRA Surgery Certification, they must be at or above the RRA Surgery MDT p-value standard on June 30 of their ten-year RRA Surgery certification cycle (by June 30 of their certification expiration year).

It's not a pass fail situation. It's kind weird how they do it.

You start out with a 0.95 p score. If you fall below a 0.1 p score, there is some form of something or other to make up for it, but they aren't exactly clear on what that is. Also, because it's done with a p score, it has a lot do to with the statistical analysis of how people answer the questions and the issues/feedback they get with the questions. They told me it's a "cutting age" way to test competency. Yeah, okay.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a pass fail situation. It's kind weird how they do it.

You start out with a 0.95 p score. If you fall below a 0.1 p score, there is some form of something or other to make up for it, but they aren't exactly clear on what that is. Also, because it's done with a p score, it has a lot do to with the statistical analysis of how people answer the questions and the issues/feedback they get with the questions. They told me it's a "cutting age" way to test competency. Yeah, okay.
Cutting edge? You mean like cutting edge laser surgery for toenail fungus? Or are you referring ti cutting edge PRP injections? Can you be referencing cutting edge stem cell injections for every plantar fasciitis? Or maybe you are talking about cutting edge amniotic wraps to “enhance” healing of every bone, tendon and nerve you’ve traumatized? Or are you simply speaking about the cutting edge of a spinning Shannon 44 burr. But then again you may be speaking about cutting edge $8000 a pop instrument sets to perform a 3rd world dimensional Lapidus.

Yeah, cutting edge. For most of these turds the only cutting edge they know is the one on their callus trimming chisel blade.

Just did the test - this is 100 percent a legit test and not hard if you are doing big boy or girl surgery. It takes 10-15 mins once a quarter. Its free. Anyone who complains about this needs to STFU.

Reactions: 2 users
Just did the test - this is 100 percent a legit test and not hard if you are doing big boy or girl surgery. It takes 10-15 mins once a quarter. Its free. Anyone who complains about this needs to STFU.

I concur I did it too today. If you are doing foot and ankle surgery and practicing within the standards of care you should know all the answers to these questions. I believe the answers are so straight forward it’s why they relied on so many double negative question stems to try and get people to miss some questions from misreading. Other than that it was very fair. No study prep before.