New admission standards poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you rate the admissions standards at your college?

• Great, right on the money.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • So, so. It keeps most the rats at bay

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Needs to be a little tougher b/c half my class might qualify as learning disabled.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • They'd let in a mentally challenged midget w/ 1 arm and no legs!

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I just like reading Dr. Feelgood's post cause he's pretty.

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
D

Dr_Feelgood

I wanted to start a poll since I accidently posted the same comment on two threads

Members don't see this ad.

"They'd let in a mentally challenged midget w/ 1 arm and no legs!"

"They'd"

I'm having a hard time with this one, I can't tell if it reads

They DID

or they would...

I might just know that answer if I stayed more attune to my environment...... Maybe it's me? lol.

I'll be content trusting my "hunch" on this one.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I wanted to start a poll since I accidently posted the same comment on two threads

It makes my stomach turn that some schools accept students with a lower MCAT score than 20. It's pretty sad. I could have scored 5-10 points lower and would have still got in.

But you know, I'm certain that things will change as more people discover podiatry and the wonderful opportunities this career has to offer. Podiatry is a career that not too many know about. Consequently there are few applicants compared to other health professional schools and standards HAVE to be low otherwise there would not be enough people matriculating.

Members don't see this ad :)
JustMyLuck said:
It makes my stomach turn that some schools accept students with a lower MCAT score than 20. It's pretty sad. I could have scored 5-10 points lower and would have still got in.

But you know, I'm certain that things will change as more people discover podiatry and the wonderful opportunities this career has to offer. Podiatry is a career that not too many know about. Consequently there are few applicants compared to other health professional schools and standards HAVE to be low otherwise there would not be enough people matriculating.

While that score is low, I would not consider it "sad". The people who are accepted into schools with that type of score are those who push themselves hard, have explored all aspects of podiatry understanding what it all entails, and do deserve a chance to pursue podiatric medicine if that is what they want. For no reason would I expect anyone attending a podiatry school to in a way "take pity" on a classmate/future classmate for a poor MCAT score-for all you know they may turn out to be the best podiatrist you'll ever meet. Don't mean to sound harsh, but with all of the negative talk about podiatry going on out there, I figure atleast someone familiar with the area would not try and present further negatives.

Geez, you go back home one week end and everyone gets on SDN. What the pluck!

I'm for a minimum of 21 but I can be talk into a minimum of 6 on every test. I think that 2 minimums might be better than 1. Maybe 21 total and/or 6 on each section, that allows a little grey area in the admissions process. But I'd be more than happy to see those numbers at 7 each section and 24 overall.

What makes you think that most of the pod schools DESERVE good quality candidates when they seem content with offering what I consider old-school podiatry educations?

Real Ivy league schools attract great candidates because the schools are offering something above what regular universities and community colleges can offer.

They have high standards for both THEMSELVES and their students....

In my very honest opinion, my education would have been better administered by a community college...... And to be honest, I have learned more in community college classes!

And that's sad for an expensive graduate school education.....

Having the highest standards for candidates simply doesn't change what some schools have to offer......

And I think that smart students know that.

whiskers said:
What makes you think that most of the pod schools DESERVE good quality candidates when they seem content with offering what I consider old-school podiatry educations?

Real Ivy league schools attract great candidates because the schools are offering something above what regular universities and community colleges can offer.

In my very honest opinion, my education would have been better administered by a community college...... And to be honest, I have learned more in community college classes!

Having the highest standards for candidates simply doesn't change what some schools have to offer......

Whiskers,
I do understand and agree w/ you that some programs must not only raise the admissions standards but also raise the educational standards. My only response is you must start somewhere. If a national organization sets a solid admission standard that sends a message to the schools and the healthcare community that no long is crap coming in OR going out of podiatric colleges. Now after that if schools continue to underachieve, you set more standards.

whiskers said:

I've read quite a bit of your posts and must say, you must get paid to post here. You certainly have very little professional advice to offer, let alone mature objective information. Are you a bored house wife or house husband?

"Are you a bored house wife or house husband?"

Yeah, those stupid housewives infuriate me too! (wink-wink)
I mean, it takes a real idiot to stay home with the kids! I mean, I get a laugh out of them when they come in to the office during the day....
Really, what I actually mean is that we're so much better than that!
I'm glad that you and I could have that little laugh together!

Maybe I should refer your post to some house wife forum(S)??? They could use a good laugh while they are so dam bored! After all, they may require foot or ankle work someday, and I want them to know EXACTLY what some of us can do for them!

"You certainly have very little professional advice to offer, let alone mature objective information."

Really? That hurts, especially coming from you!

It's great to be affiliated with such "like-minded" professionals!

whiskers said:

I mean, it takes a real idiot to stay home with the kids! I mean, I get a laugh out of them when they come in to the office during the day....

Maybe I should refer your post to some house wife forum(S)??? They could use a good laugh while they are so dam bored! After all, they may require foot or ankle work someday, and I want them to know EXACTLY what some of us can do for them!

"You certainly have very little professional advice to offer, let alone mature objective information."

Wow, we got quite offended didn't we? You know other than this reply I'll restrain myself, since you're not worth the annoyance you cause around here. You probably should be banned actually, but for some reason -- despite your obvious objective to goad others here into a debate -- you've been able to duck getting banned.

It's not just me that echoes these sentiments. Look around at how many others here, have told you this. Enjoy your escapades on here while they last. I'm sure a mod will wise-up and can you soon enough.

Geez, you go back home one week end and everyone gets on SDN. What the pluck!

I'm for a minimum of 21 but I can be talk into a minimum of 6 on every test. I think that 2 minimums might be better than 1. Maybe 21 total and/or 6 on each section, that allows a little grey area in the admissions process. But I'd be more than happy to see those numbers at 7 each section and 24 overall.
I agree with a minimum 20+, but the minimum of 6 in each MCAT category is gonna eliminate some of the non-native English speakers who score 10BS, 10PS, 4verbal, K writing. If an applicant meets either minimum and has the other desired application features, they are acceptable (which might have been what you meant all along and I am misunderstanding?). It's true that your knowledge isn't very useful if you can't communitate well in verbal English or written research terms, but I think those applicants can get better at English and are still far more useful than someone who got a 14 on the MCAT and got in just because they had a 3.6gpa as a B.A. Ecology major and served as the undergrad class president.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but there are newer students on now, so maybe we can get some fresh discussion. People who voted as first years also probably now see who their school let go on to enter clinics and who couldn't meet the program's academic demands.

...I'm certain that things will change as more people discover podiatry and the wonderful opportunities this career has to offer. Podiatry is a career that not too many know about. Consequently there are few applicants compared to other health professional schools and standards HAVE to be low otherwise there would not be enough people matriculating.
I agree with this, but standards don't "have to be low." Since I go to a school with a SMP, I can tell you that there are some pretty darn good students who are going to the Carribean or any DO school they can get into because they don't know a lot about podiatry. Others waste a lot of $ to take the MCAT 3+ times, go to dent/pharm schools they have little interest in, or even end up just doing research or other allied health fields that they got "stuck" with since they never got into MD/DO.

I think podiatry could nearly double its annual applicant pool with a little more recruiting and promotion (and therefore quality of bottom acceptees has to go up farily significantly also).

i'd vote for a minimum of 3.0 GPA and a 21 (MCAT)

"They'd let in a mentally challenged midget w/ 1 arm and no legs!"

"They'd"

I'm having a hard time with this one, I can't tell if it reads

They DID

or they would...

I might just know that answer if I stayed more attune to my environment...... Maybe it's me? lol.

I'll be content trusting my "hunch" on this one.

you must not have done well on the reading comp section

I agree with the community college also it was much more tougher and well taught than when I transfered to a UC which is a total joke.

It seems like applicants are getting more competitive or there is just more total applicants applying for Podiatry. I am very happy that the MCAT will be the only test offered for Podiatry admission.

Any new students feel let down because of the admission standards?

I have a friend that is applying to nycpm, and he is absolutely in love with the concept of podiatry since he was a former ballet dancer-turned-scientist. I have been searching for information about podiatry as a profession, and when I come here and look for information, what you guys seem to post is very dismaying. So, with that, I would like to ask a few questions:

1) What is the national avg. MCAT/GPA score for a matriculating pod student?

2)Why is NYCPM frowned upon (I ask this based on what I've read here)?

Any other information that you guys feel like sharing about podiatry as a profession, information about life as a podiatry student etc. would all be helpful. :)

I have a friend that is applying to nycpm, and he is absolutely in love with the concept of podiatry since he was a former ballet dancer-turned-scientist. I have been searching for information about podiatry as a profession, and when I come here and look for information, what you guys seem to post is very dismaying. So, with that, I would like to ask a few questions:

1) What is the national avg. MCAT/GPA score for a matriculating pod student?

2)Why is NYCPM frowned upon (I ask this based on what I've read here)?

Any other information that you guys feel like sharing about podiatry as a profession, information about life as a podiatry student etc. would all be helpful. :)

NYCPM is not all bad. It just takes a lot of independent effort to get a good education. No one pushes or encourages excellence. The opportunity is there.

Also the entrance stats are low.

All the schools have good and bad. Some school's bad is just more well known.

Whiskers makes me smile!!!:laugh:

is that a dialogue from a movie or something?

it just reminds me of billy madison or something :

(insert large rant here)

Response: What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.