What is admission looking like for the classes of 2024-2027?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogSnoot

Reaction score
Does anyone have updates on the number of students in each class, per school? I am looking at the classes of 2024-27.

I hear it’s down trending significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have updates on the number of students in each class, per school? I am looking at the classes of 2024-27.

I hear it’s down trending significantly.

Midwestern’s new 1st year class is about the same as usual from what I’ve heard…possibly a few students more.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is last year's data: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/Class-year-ethinic-and-gender-2022-2023.pdf

We know applications are down, but matriculants appear to be holding steady. I suppose some of class of 2026's 551 students will wash out or get held back, but not so very differently many than class of 2023's 560 (and I don't know how many graduated/placed into residency). The only reason I'm writing this is that it will take 3-4 cycles to clearly identify a trend as opposed to saying 2023 is just a bad year.

I'll be curious to see what lengths schools go to to fill their seats with LECOM and UTRGV in the mix. This is all...highly podiometric

Reactions: 1 users
This is last year's data: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/Class-year-ethinic-and-gender-2022-2023.pdf

We know applications are down, but matriculants appear to be holding steady. I suppose some of class of 2026's 551 students will wash out or get held back, but not so very differently many than class of 2023's 560 (and I don't know how many graduated/placed into residency). The only reason I'm writing this is that it will take 3-4 cycles to clearly identify a trend as opposed to saying 2023 is just a bad year.

I'll be curious to see what lengths schools go to to fill their seats with LECOM and UTRGV in the mix. This is all...highly podiometric
Hard to have matriculation decrease when you don't say no to anybody...

Reactions: 4 users

AACPMs sheets are inconsistent. Some of them say 500ish and some say 350ish.

• Hmm
1691531318543.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I served as a bus tour guide for Temple's 63 students this year. They're a bright group w/ impressive GPA/MCAT averages.

The school is making positive strides w/ recent admission standards and board performance.

In terms of matriculation trend, we would have to wait until AACPM releases their matriculation data for 2027. Co2023-2026 are available currently.

I think the application pool will normalize in a few cycles, but schools have to be careful w/ their selection process. Students have to be able to pass their classes and board examinations.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
but schools have to be careful w/ their selection process.
The schools are posting about an admission crisis. There is no way they are being selective in their process. Schools are there to make money, and the way to make money is to get people in seats paying at least one year in student loans.

Reactions: 9 users
I served as a bus tour guide for Temple's 63 students this year. They're a bright group w/ impressive GPA/MCAT averages.

The school is making positive strides w/ recent admission standards and board performance.

In terms of matriculation trend, we would have to wait until AACPM releases their matriculation data for 2027. Co2023-2026 are available currently.

I think the application pool will normalize in a few cycles, but schools have to be careful w/ their selection process. Students have to be able to pass their classes and board examinations.
1691778952742.png

;)

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 10 users
Ohio is 54

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
What!?? My class was >120 when I started in 2011. Crazy drop.. but much needed.

Yeah, I counted the number of students at the white coat ceremony saw it on instagram

Reactions: 1 user
currently, we are at 57 for the class of 2027.
Then it'll be like 48 after first semester...then it'll be like 32 and then a couple comes back...I'm predicting 28 at the end of 2027. It's a vicious cycle and I pray for them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Then it'll be like 48 after first semester...then it'll be like 32 and then a couple comes back...I'm predicting 28 at the end of 2027. It's a vicious cycle and I pray for them.
we did have one person drop out after the first round of exams

Then it'll be like 48 after first semester...then it'll be like 32 and then a couple comes back...I'm predicting 28 at the end of 2027....
we did have one person drop out after the first round of exams
This sounds rough, but it will actually be the best thing for the schools and for the students to have some attrition at each podiatry school with the upcoming residency crunch.

Hopefully the schools that toddle along ppl who fail pt1 boards, fail classes, etc have the sense to just dismiss most of them from the program. It'll only compound those students' suffering and their debt - and make the schools look bad - if they send those people along and into match... or put them onto remedial 5 year program, 6 year program, whatever.

AACPM says "First year enrollment totals range from 500-600 per year" on their website.
That is obviously not true when there were 558 grads into match last year and even more in prior recent years.
In reality, podiatry accepts students up to the perceived limit - and beyond it if they get enough applicant. That theoretical limit is the number of approved residency spots (many of them low quality spots, NYC spots, VA spots, etc). They bank - quite literally - on some student attrition happening.

Assuming average of 60 students in c/o 2027 at each of the now eleven podiatry schools (some pod schools obviously have far more, and newer schools have less), that's around 660 students. There are around 600 current approved DPM residency spots (supposedly... yet people who scramble always seem to say many listed as approved spots are not taking a resident). It will not be pretty in 2027 if there is not significant attrition. It will get worse and worse after that when schools look to expand class sizes... just like when Western Univ pod school opened, and we saw residency shortage for years afterwards.

Podiatry has never had two schools open in the same year until 2023.
They've never in 100+ years opened 4 new schools in a 20 year span, as they did now 2004, 2009, 2023 (x2).
The odds are longer than ever with more schools, the tuition is higher than ever, but doing VERY WELL in school is still the best plan. Ignore the students who may or may not disappear from other seats, quit keeping score, ignore the APMSA and APMA rainbows and fluff, and just stay up on the course materials, do the reading... smash the exams. Have a bit of fun after term exams, then do it again and again.
Realize early and often that podiatry residencies are highly variable in quality. It's going to get harder and harder to get one of the roughly 100 or so quality podiatry residency spots - or one of the additional 100-200 good spots.... and some of those programs will likely get pressure to become diluted and add spots - or lose attendings to the fellowship nonsense.

Good podiatry jobs... ???? ROI of podiatry... ??? That's anyone's guess. Return starts with R and ends with N.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
This sounds rough, but it will actually be the best thing for the schools and for the students to have some attrition at each podiatry school with the upcoming residency crunch.

Hopefully the schools that toddle along ppl who fail pt1 boards, fail classes, etc have the sense to just dismiss most of them from the program. It'll only compound those students' suffering and their debt - and make the schools look bad - if they send those people along and into match... or put them onto remedial 5 year program, 6 year program, whatever.

AACPM says "First year enrollment totals range from 500-600 per year" on their website.
That is obviously not true when there were 558 grads into match last year and even more in prior recent years.
In reality, podiatry accepts students up to the perceived limit - and beyond it if they get enough applicant. That theoretical limit is the number of approved residency spots (many of them low quality spots, NYC spots, VA spots, etc). They bank - quite literally - on some student attrition happening.

Assuming average of 60 students in c/o 2027 at each of the now eleven podiatry schools (some pod schools obviously have far more, and newer schools have less), that's around 660 students. There are around 600 current approved DPM residency spots (supposedly... yet people who scramble always seem to say many listed as approved spots are not taking a resident). It will not be pretty in 2027 if there is not significant attrition. It will get worse and worse after that when schools look to expand class sizes... just like when Western Univ pod school opened, and we saw residency shortage for years afterwards.

Podiatry has never had two schools open in the same year until 2023.
They've never in 100+ years opened 4 new schools in a 20 year span, as they did now 2004, 2009, 2023 (x2).
The odds are longer than ever with more schools, the tuition is higher than ever, but doing VERY WELL in school is still the best plan. Ignore the students who may or may not disappear from other seats, quit keeping score, ignore the APMSA and APMA rainbows and fluff, and just stay up on the course materials, do the reading... smash the exams. Have a bit of fun after term exams, then do it again and again.
Realize early and often that podiatry residencies are highly variable in quality. It's going to get harder and harder to get one of the roughly 100 or so quality podiatry residency spots - or one of the additional 100-200 good spots.... and some of those programs will likely get pressure to become diluted and add spots - or lose attendings to the fellowship nonsense.

Good podiatry jobs... ???? ROI of podiatry... ??? That's anyone's guess. Return starts with R and ends with N.
Why would they dismiss students who failed classes and couldn’t pass part 1? Trust me they won’t because they are trying to keep all the money they can. I know somebody who has failed 2 classes and never set for part 1 in July and is still in school lol

• Sad

I've seen more people who passed all classes and part 1 first try fail out of residencies more than I have seen that from people who have failed classes and boards multiple times.

Granted they generally went to more competitive residencies so take it with a grain of salt, but I think that's generally a poor indicator of success.

If success of being a physician was decided by standardized testing and grades, then they would be at an MD school to start with, so the entire cohort of students can already be dismissed as weak if you want to think of that way.

You don't "fail out" of residency per se. Residency is a test of character and resilience as much as it is a test of knowledge. I've definitely heard of disciplenary proceedings against residents who couldn't be trusted with the pager, and ultimately all parties agree upon a "mutual parting of ways."

I've known a ton more students who can't make the grade, however.

How many people do you know getting fired from residencies?
1st hand, only 2

2nd hand, 4 or 5

As Adam Smasher said, it's mostly students who didn't answer calls. But there are some strange ones like failing a drug test at the VA.

There was a discussion in one of the MD forums about the number of residents who are fired / transfered / etc during residency. There is actually a resource they have which reports total numbers for this ie. you don't have to rely on anecdotes, they have actual data. Not sure if something like this is maintained anywhere for podiatry.

How many people do you know getting fired from residencies?
...There is actually a resource they have which reports total numbers for this ie. you don't have to rely on anecdotes, they have actual data...
Whoa whoa. This is not logic or allopathic or statistics or reality...

...this is "I have seen" and "I think that" and "2nd hand."

We want to keep the intrigue and mystery level as high as possible on SDN.

There was a discussion in one of the MD forums about the number of residents who are fired / transfered / etc during residency. There is actually a resource they have which reports total numbers for this ie. you don't have to rely on anecdotes, they have actual data. Not sure if something like this is maintained anywhere for podiatry.

That's good. What does the data say about students who have failed a class or boards compared to those who haven't, in terms of residency failures?

Whoa whoa. This is not logic or allopathic or statistics or reality...

...this is "I have seen" and "I think that" and "2nd hand."

We want to keep the intrigue and mystery level as high as possible on SDN.
I'm just wondering where this correlation of "those who failed a class or boards" do worse in residency to the point where they can't hack it compared to their counterparts.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering where this correlation of "those who failed a class or boards" do worse in residency to the point where they can't hack compared to their counterparts.
That's good. What does the data say about students who have failed a class or boards compared to those who haven't, in terms of residency failures?
The truth is that i doubt anyone tracks this data because most people can pass podiatry school pretty easy. Its not rocket science.

To humor your anecdote, there was a class that 9 people in my class failed. Those 9 students either:
- Scrambled into one of the bottom tiered programs (new york)
- Failed out entirely
- had to retake boards 1,2,3 times and needed to repeat a year of school or more.

The truth is that i doubt anyone tracks this data because most people can pass podiatry school pretty easy. Its not rocket science.

To humor your anecdote, there was a class that 9 people in my class failed. Those 9 students either:
- Failed out entirely
- had to retake boards 1,2,3 times and needed to repeat a year of school or more.
Introduction to Onychomycosis sinks a lot of future foot and ankle surgeons careers.

• Haha
So I have a question. If a student lets say has failed one or 2 classes, and is at the bottom of their class, is it really that hard for them to match into residency or to get a so called “good one”?

Also I want to understand more about the terrible residency programs that you guys speak of, like give me several examples of what makes them bad?

I’m very curious about the inner workings of podiatry residency programs.

• Hmm
So I have a question. If a student lets say has failed one or 2 classes, and is at the bottom of their class, is it really that hard for them to match into residency or to get a so called “good one”?

Also I want to understand more about the terrible residency programs that you guys speak of, like give me several examples of what makes them bad?

Don't worry about it. You are quitting podiatry. You already told us that. You said in a thread a few days ago that podiatry is terrible in every way and has no redeeming properties even though you are just a podiatry student. You sad dog around the forums posting vague non-specific things claiming you are learning so much about podiatry and that it is all bad. Do yourself a favor. Head back over to your schizophrenic website where the guy with voices in his head talks to himself under different names and you'll learn everything you need to know.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Don't worry about it. You are quitting podiatry. You already told us that. You said in a thread a few days ago that podiatry is terrible in every way and has no redeeming properties even though you are just a podiatry student. You sad dog around the forums posting vague non-specific things claiming you are learning so much about podiatry and that it is all bad. Do yourself a favor. Head back over to your schizophrenic website where the guy with voices in his head talks to himself under different names and you'll learn everything you need to know.
Lol. I did say I was leaving but I’m still a student. I’m just really trying to understand the inner workings of things before I make a decision.

And why are you being so hostile with animosity? I’m not the only one who has made comments about podiatry not being all it’s cracked up to be so why are you coming for me?

I'm just wondering where this correlation of "those who failed a class or boards" do worse in residency to the point where they can't hack compared to their counterparts.
I still have no idea how people can fail boards multiple times and pass the first two years of school. Objectively speaking, it's much better on paper having a 1st pass since there is less risk to deal with.

Use search function. Tons of info on Residency review thread as well.

I still have no idea how people can fail boards multiple times and pass the first two years of school. Objectively speaking, it's much better on paper having a 1st pass since there is less risk to deal with.
Content retention, external stress, ignorant preparation, etc; it can be a lot of different reasons. It’s not uncommon for people in the top half of their class to fail Part I. You may or may not see a similar phenomenon in your class when you take Part I next year.

- Failed out entirely
I agree that students who do poor academically are more prone to continue doing poor academically.

I'm just curious how that effects them in residency, because I haven't seen students who struggled in podiatry academics struggle in residency more so than anyone else.

Many students I knew who failed part 1 had painful health issues at the time. But as another poster said, there is a plethora of reasons. Some academic, some not.

I agree that students who do poor academically are more prone to continue doing poor academically.

I'm just curious how that effects them in residency, because I haven't seen students who struggled in podiatry academics struggle in residency more so than anyone else.
You haven't started residency yet so how would you even know this

people who struggle with podiatry classes are likely to struggle in residency because they don't know podiatry. seems pretty simple to me. go hit the books and focus on interviews.

You haven't started residency yet so how would you even know this

people who struggle with podiatry classes are likely to struggle in residency because they don't know podiatry. seems pretty simple to me. go hit the books and focus on interviews.

I know quite a few people in residency, as in close friends, not just the acquaintances you meet during externships. Talk to them quite a bit. Some of them failed boards and classes multiple times but treated residency as a job and do just fine.

The people I do know who struggle in residency tend to just be people who don't answer calls, and that is usually regardless of their academic success or failures in podiatry school.

Yea, I'm studying for boards part 2 and interviews.

• Hmm
Content retention, external stress, ignorant preparation, etc; it can be a lot of different reasons. It’s not uncommon for people in the top half of their class to fail Part I. You may or may not see a similar phenomenon in your class when you take Part I next year.
I admit my initial statement could have been clearer. I was thinking about the scenarios of more than two retakes. It's the APMLE, not USMLE level difficulty. It's uncommon for committed students who never took "shortcuts" in their first two years to struggle with this exam. However, having not taken the exam myself, my views are observational.

I know quite a few people in residency, as in close friends, not just the acquaintances you meet during externships. Talk to them quite a bit. Some of them failed boards and classes multiple times but treated residency as a job and do just fine.

The people I do know who struggle in residency tend to just be people who don't answer calls, and that is usually regardless of their academic success or failures in podiatry school.

Its more than just answering calls. Can you be trusted to handle consults? can you be trusted with a blade? Does the resident actually know the anatomy and principles of surgery and medicine?

if a student does poorly in school they aren't magically going to learn those principles of surgery and medicine that they struggled with in school upon graduating... but it sounds like you have all the answers already lol best of luck.