New Alabama em residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know who is running this? I assume a cmg? Hercules this is in your neck of the woods. I’m not interested but am curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Southern Alabama. I’m trying to glean some details myself. I assume Mobile. Likely with university of south Alabama.

An EM program at USA has been in discussion for the last several years. It’s been on their website “in the planning stages” for quite some time. I didn’t know if the DO school in Dothan (ACOM) was starting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone know who is running this? I assume a cmg? Hercules this is in your neck of the woods. I’m not interested but am curious.

Happy to chime in. University of South Alabama (medical school in Mobile, AL) has been developing an EM residency for the past few years. They brought in Panacek from California to be the Department chair and have been hiring up EM faculty. The last I heard they had submitted their application and were potentially looking to bring in their first class by July 2019. I don’t know any details such as whether that will be filled through the match or outside of the match, but I know they feel pretty good about approval for their application. The ED is an academic department and staffed by the South Alabama faculty.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I definitely don’t know as much about this one, but I don’t know for sure that the residency they’re looking to create at Southeast Alabama Medical Center in Dothan would be a part of ACOM. Southeast Medical Center existed for about 50 years before ACOM was founded. My impression from talking with someone at this hospital was that this would be a community EM residency.

The ED there used to be an independent group but is now hospital employed.

I definitely don’t know as much about this one, but I don’t know for sure that the residency they’re looking to create at Southeast Alabama Medical Center in Dothan would be a part of ACOM. Southeast Medical Center existed for about 50 years before ACOM was founded. My impression from talking with someone at this hospital was that this would be a community EM residency.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t SAMC own ACOM?

Yes, ACOM is a division of SAMC. It may sound like semantics, but I was thinking that the EM residency would be part of SAMC’s GME division (like their IM residency) not necessarily under the ACOM umbrella. Again, I could be completely wrong and defer to anyone who has more in depth knowledge on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, ACOM is a division of SAMC. It may sound like semantics, but I was thinking that the EM residency would be part of SAMC’s GME division (like their IM residency) not necessarily under the ACOM umbrella. Again, I could be completely wrong and defer to anyone who has more in depth knowledge on this one.

Residencies are always hospital-based with university affiliation. So it will always be under a hospital and not within a medical school. The hospital is who gets funding from CMS for the resident slots.

Residencies are always hospital-based with university affiliation. So it will always be under a hospital and not within a medical school. The hospital is who gets funding from CMS for the resident slots.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that medical schools/universities can be “sponsoring institutions” - this is what has led to the proliferation of confusing program names like "Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Elmhurst)", which is actually a community hospital program that has little to do with The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.

At the end of the day, call the program whatever you like, the hospital where the training occurs is the same.

The USA faculty are hospital / university employed?

Just to make sure we are talking about the same groups, USA and SAMC are two different hospitals with USA being in Mobile and SAMC being about 3 hrs East in Dothan. I believe the USA faculty have been hospital employees for a very long time. The group at SAMC though used to be an independent group (not sure whether they were democratic or not) that became hospital employees a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that medical schools/universities can be “sponsoring institutions” - this is what has led to the proliferation of confusing program names like "Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Elmhurst)", which is actually a community hospital program that has little to do with The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.

At the end of the day, call the program whatever you like, the hospital where the training occurs is the same.

They might be sponsoring institutions by providing faculty, but the residents are always hospital employees. Fellows are often university employees if university affiliated. Nearly all residency programs in the US are funded by CMS, have residents employed by the hospital, and have a hospital/faculty that are affiliated with or on faculty at a medical school.

Reactions: 1 users