New AMCAS Numbers (10/23)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ W.R.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS Update 10/22/01

1.Printed Applications Update
Today we began printing and mailing verified applications to medical
schools. These printed applications include the results of the August
MCAT examination. When up to full production, we will be printing
applications at a rate of approximately 1,000 applicants per day
(preliminary and verified combined.) Thus, we expect to get nearly
11,000 applications out the door each day.

2. AMCAS Application Data, as of 10/19/2001
--Number of Persons initiating applications on-line: 40,291
--Number of Applicants submitting completed applications to
AMCAS: 26,706
--Number of Applicants expected to submit completed applications: 32,800
--Number of Applicants for whom applications have been printed and
FedExed (including reprints): 25,548
--Average number of schools applied to per applicant: 11
--Number of applicants for whom application(s) have been
verified: 13,438

3. Projections
--Date by which AMCAS will have verified the applications of 17,000
applicants: November 1, 2001
--Date by which all regular submitted applications will be verified:
December 31, 2001

AMCAS

Members don't see this ad.

Thanx DJ! Wow, check out these lines:
--Number of Persons initiating applications on-line: 40,291
--Number of Applicants submitting completed applications to AMCAS: 26,706
--Number of Applicants expected to submit completed applications: 32,800

AAMC expects that of the 40,000 that initiated, only 32,800 will will submit? Hmm.. what do you guys think happened(happens) to those 7,200 people?
One thing I can think of is those that started the app before they got back their MCAT scores (April and August people) then ended up getting scores lower than they were happy with. A second would be those that dont feel their application is finished by the deadline, essays needing refinement and the like.

Just a comment on the number of applications initiated...I'm not applying for a few years probably but I initiated an application just to check it out. I'm sure many others who were just looking or were not very serious initiated applications without the intent of submitting. Good news for this years' applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people applied last year? Are this years projected number of applicats (32,000) more or less than last year?

GS

I want to say 36,000 applied last year. But that might be 2 years ago.

Originally posted by GS:
•How many people applied last year? Are this years projected number of applicats (32,000) more or less than last year?

GS•

See the other thread "Latest AMCAS Numbers from AAMC" with the numbers from earlier this month for answers to these questions.

Originally posted by Jalbrekt:
•I want to say 36,000 applied last year. But that might be 2 years ago.•

I think it was 38,000 two years ago, 40,000 last year. This estimate of 32,00 is down even from earlier this month when they were predicting 35,000 apps. I'm betting the number will be below 30,000. Great news for this year's applicants!! :D We deserve a little silver lining after the giant black cloud we've been laboring under! :D :D

Thanks so much for the info DJ W.R. !!!

I BET THE FINAL NUMBER WILL BE ABOUT 28,000 -- I DON'T KNOW OF ANYBODY STILL FILLING OUT APPLICATIONS. AND FOR THOSE WHO STARTED THE PROCESS -- I KNOW I DID IT TWICE SO COUNT -- AND I THINK THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO DID THE SAME.

Wow, that would mean 57% of applicants would be admitted!!!

This year's AMCAS debacle gives new meaning to "Good things come to those who wait."

Bump, for those who missed the info :cool:

I wonder if this drop in numbers is giving schoools incentive to offer earlier acceptances than normal. The (I guess) typical range of acceptances seems to be from October to.....well, to the day before classes (my friend at Iowa, lucky bastard). When you look at the schools currently offering acceptances, for the most part, aren't the huge, stand-out research schools, with some exceptions, obviously. I wonder, then if these schools are trying to scramble for better applicants, while top schools like Harvard, JHU, Yale, UCSF, etc., are good enough by reputation where they can sit back, take their time, and still be assured to get the cream of the crop for applicants. With lower numbers, it seems that they (schools currently offering acceptances) aren't shooting themselves in the foot by trying to jump on students that likely won't attend, especially if numbers are down by 12% from last year. I'm rambling, but I think I made my point/asked my question. Good luck to us all, becuase it's not over yet.......

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP

EVERYBODY SHOULD BE FINISHED BY NOW -- ANY UPDATE. THIS INFORMATION IS CRITICAL TO ASSESS OUR CHANCES.

There are a few schools which changed their AMCAS deadlines to Nov 1 or 2...And a few others with even later deadlines...But I agree, this is great info. If anyone has an update please post!

34859 is the final number. assuming 16,300 spaces, that means 47% of us will be going to medical school next year.

Does that final number include those who are still trying to get transcripts to AMCAS?

careerchanger, what is the source of that number? Did 8,153 really submit application over the last week? That seems a little high to me.

i thought so too -- but i got these numbers from an article that somebody else posted on this web site. lets see -- i also know that about 10% of all applicants withdraw -- so that brings the number lower. i will continue to look for information as i think this is key to determining my chances.

That article was for last years applicants. I don't think they have published the total numbers for this years applicants yet. On 10/19 there were only 26,706 submited applications.

Here is the new info:

Medical school applicant pool continues to decline

According to recently released AAMC data, nearly 35,000 individuals applied to U.S. medical schools for the 2001-2002 school year. This year's applicant pool of 34,859 represents a 6 percent decline in the number of applicants from 2000-2001. Despite the decline, however, the applicant pool is still more than double the number of available spots.

While the number of underrepresented minority applicants - which the AAMC classifies as black, Native American, Mexican American/Chicano, and Mainland Puerto Rican - also declined from last year by 4.5 percent (4,284 to 4,091), the number of underrepresented minority matriculants increased 2.6 percent, from 1,741 in 2000 to 1,786 in 2001.

Fewer males applied to medical school this year than last: 18,142 compared with 19,816, an 8.4 percent decline. The decline in female applicants was less steep, down 3.2 percent from 2000 (16,717 vs. 17,273).

Information: http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/011102.htm

i stand corrected -- thanks for catching it. keep eyes and ears open.

LOL! How many times are people going to use that article? Don't worry about it. Myself and about 20 other people in a previous post made the same mistake. But where's this year's data???