New and a little overwhelmed....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WordNerd11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I've been creeping around the forums for a while now and I'm so glad to have found a place that has so much great information!

On that note, I'm starting to do the whole figure-out-where-I'm-going-to-apply thing and I'm beginning to freak out. I've been hearing horror stories about people not being able to get into a single program. I've been looking at the at the average GPAs that several schools list, and they seem to be in the 3.7-3.9 range, and when they only have 5, 7, 15 etc slots, it seems like it might be too competitive for me to even think about getting in.

My current cumulative GPA is only a 3.62, and it's probably not going to move very much in either direction before I start applying to schools. I'm a CMSD major at a top 50 public university. No GRE scores yet, but I'm studying. This summer, I'll be taking an independent study class with an audiologist, and another class on how to use the audiology equipment, so that should get me some decent recs. Otherwise, I'm not that impressive, except that I've held a 20 hour a week part time job since 1st semester freshmen year.

Another problem I have would be financial. There are no in-state audiology programs where I live, and out of state tuition can be sort of terrifying :eek:

So to those of you who are in school/done with school, how below the curve am I stats-wise when it comes to applying to AuD school? Should I be scared? And also, if you don't mind me asking, what options did you use to pay for school other than a part time job/loans? Are there good scholarship programs for 1st year students (a lot of scholarships I've looked at seem to be exclusively for 3rd years).

Sorry for overloading this post with questions. It just all seems so overwhelming. Or maybe that's just the feeling of finals creeping up on me :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

If being an audiologist is really what you then apply. Don't put yourself down without even trying. I'm graduating in a few weeks and beginning my au.d in the fall. My GPA wasn't as high as yours and I felt the same way but I still tried and it worked out for me. I know people in my undergrad program with better qualification but they haven't been accepted. Start researching the schools you want see their requirements and reach out. Im taking out loans to pay for my degree but I know its what I want. Write a kick ***** personal statement, maybe shadow and audiologist and aim for a competitive GRE score... Things will work out have faith, but don't count yourself out until you try.

What state are you in? Some programs have reciprocal agreements and offer instate tuition to students from adjacent states where there is no program. Also, look into programs that have assistantships, they can have a big impact in cost of attendance and often eliminate out of state tuition. You can definitely get into school with your GPA. Do reasonably well on the GRE and I think you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
What cmc said.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

@cldmorgie: May I ask what program you're attending in the fall? I'm just starting to look at schools, and there are soon to be a lot of pro-con lists littering the floor of my dorm.

@cmc271: I'm in Georgia. I really need to look into if some of the schools in Florida or Tennessee have reciprocal agreements. Do you know where I might find that information, or do I just need to contact the schools directly.

Tonight I take a practice GRE, and hopefully that will show me what I need to do to get better. Hopefully those vocab flashcards have helped :xf:

ASHA EdFind

ASHA EdFind has been my savior for the past few months.

My assistantship will give me 5 free credits each semester and allows me to pay in-state tuition for the rest even though I am out of state. I will also be getting a stipend. All of that makes tuition very reasonable.

@cldmorgie: May I ask what program you're attending in the fall? I'm just starting to look at schools, and there are soon to be a lot of pro-con lists littering the floor of my dorm.

@cmc271: I'm in Georgia. I really need to look into if some of the schools in Florida or Tennessee have reciprocal agreements. Do you know where I might find that information, or do I just need to contact the schools directly.

Tonight I take a practice GRE, and hopefully that will show me what I need to do to get better. Hopefully those vocab flashcards have helped :xf:
I do not believe the University of Memphis does (which is where I attend) but it has very good assistantships. Waive out of state tuition and covers half of in state tuition plus a monthly stipend. The other public programs are East Tennessee State and U of Tennessee-Knoxville. Vanderbilt also has a program that offers assistantships but can be very expensive.

I got into Nova Southeastern in FL. It's near family so it worked out well for me plus i loved the campus it is gorgeous and they renovated their clinic for the fall semester. The way I did it was 2 reach schools, 2 most likely schools and 2 "easy schools". What i've come to learn is that with the amount of students each program takes each yr getting into any school is difficult. I'm also waitlisted for 3 schools not near to fam so i think I'll be going to FL. Look at the area where the school is located, cost of living, etc because remember you'll be spending the next 3+ years there so you want to be comfortable. I was happy that I could go away, in NYC they're only 2 schools and my friends who couldnt get in are telling i'm the lucky one because they have to sit out a yr. The good thing is you are on time with the process of applying.

I work in Georgia and I'm very sad that GA and SC do not have programs. It's very surprising since Georgia has some amazing medical programs! Many states do offer reciprocal programs. TN does I believe. You might also as someone said check with FL. As for out of state it's not that big of an issue. You will pay out of state for one year. As soon as you choose a school talk to their graduate student office they can get you everything you need to become a state resident quickly to get your in-state tuition. Like I said at most you'd have 1 year of out of state tuition.

This is not true everywhere. It's virtually impossible to achieve residency in Iowa while taking more than 3 or 4 credits.

Sorry for the lag, studying for finals has been stealing away all my attention.

@TheEarDoc- Glad to see another Georgia peach on the forum. Like you, I was bummed SC didn't have any programs. I was also stunned that the Medical College of Georgia hadn't adopted some kind of audiology program by now. I know UGA used to have a masters program (before the AuD was mandatory) but there wasn't a lot of demand for it so it was phased out. How do you like working in Georgia? May I ask what type of setting you work in? And that's wonderful news about the out of state tuition. Having never lived anywhere but here, it tends to boggle my mind that I can actually be a resident of somewhere else...Guess I'm still young and naive.

@cldmorgie: I'm glad you like Nova. It's definitely on my radar. I know you like the campus and clinic, but how do you like the program? :) Any pros and cons to share?

@rEliseMe: Thanks for the heads up. Iowa's not really on my list because I need to stay decently close to my family. Plus, as a Georgia girl, I think I would automatically become a Popsicle come wintertime ;)

I am from Delaware and attend UT-Knoxville. Delaware does not have an audiology program (surprise!), so I receive in-state tuition through the Academic Common Market. Our program offers the same deal to residents of Georgia and SC. Let me know if you have any questions!

I haven't started yet so i can't be of much help sorry but I've actually decided not to attend Nova got into one of the schools I was waiting on.

ooppppsss i didn't attend yet. but i thinking about it.........

can refer me the best university??

thanks in advance :)

Last edited: