New Army Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a623

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about applying for the army hpsp for dental school. It's a big decision and i do have some questions.

1.) During summer break in dental school what is required of you?

2.) After graduating dental school what happens, do you HAVE to go to residency, even if your'e just going to be a General Dentist? and where is it located?

3.) After all is said and done, where are new dentists usually stationed? is it in a base in the U.S? If so what is the base, usually?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about applying for the army hpsp for dental school. It's a big decision and i do have some questions.

1.) During summer break in dental school what is required of you?

2.) After graduating dental school what happens, do you HAVE to go to residency, even if your'e just going to be a General Dentist? and where is it located?

3.) After all is said and done, where are new dentists usually stationed? is it in a base in the U.S? If so what is the base, usually?

Thanks!

Hi. I just went through application the process.

Most people will tell you to look at the "ask an Army dentist" thread in the stickies at the top of the forum. You definitely should even though you can expect it to take awhile.

But...

1) I think this depends on the length of you break, but sometimes you do nothing military related. One summer you might go through officer's training (search "OBLC"), but you may do that after graduation. After OBLC I believe you can use subsequent breaks to do externships at military dental clinics with permission (apparently useful if you plan to specialize using an Army residency).

2) It seems that you have to minimally apply for their 1 year AEDG, buy you do not have to accept an offer should it be extended to you. So to answer you question, no, you don't have to do a residency.

3) You may be stationed practically anywhere. For this point you really should use the search function this site offers. There are bases all over the U.S. (and elsewhere) where they can send you. I don't know which are most common, but you can probably find that info. The take home point here should probably be that you don't get much control over where you will be living.

Hi. I just went through application the process.

Most people will tell you to look at the "ask an Army dentist" thread in the stickies at the top of the forum. You definitely should even though you can expect it to take awhile.

But...

1) I think this depends on the length of you break, but sometimes you do nothing military related. One summer you might go through officer's training (search "OBLC"), but you may do that after graduation. After OBLC I believe you can use subsequent breaks to do externships at military dental clinics with permission (apparently useful if you plan to specialize using an Army residency).

2) It seems that you have to minimally apply for their 1 year AEDG, buy you do not have to accept an offer should it be extended to you. So to answer you question, no, you don't have to do a residency.

3) You may be stationed practically anywhere. For this point you really should use the search function this site offers. There are bases all over the U.S. (and elsewhere) where they can send you. I don't know which are most common, but you can probably find that info. The take home point here should probably be that you don't get much control over where you will be living.
1) correct

2) correct

3) You are given several choice among available bases. This will be discussed with you around January-February time frame of your senior year. They can not station you somewhere there is not an opening. They have certain bases and locations that are higher priority to fill first.

This has been an informative thread. I will try to do the OBLC as soon as possible.