New Atlanta Program!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wellstar Kennestone ED PD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon -

I am thrilled to announce that the Emergency Medicine Residency Program at Kennestone Regional Medical Center in Marietta (just outside Atlanta) has received ACGME accreditation and is active in ERAS to accept applications. We are a three-year training program at the highest volume ED in Georgia, and one of the busiest in the country (last year we ranked #5 nationally by total patient volume).

We are a level 2 trauma center, an accredited Stroke Center with an active interventional program, and a STEMI receiving facility. We offer tremendous pathology and acuity in a comprehensive medical center with skilled clinical faculty and outstanding teachers. While we have excellent sub-specialty availability, our faculty do all of our own procedures, including major and minor orthopedic reductions, airway management, chest tubes, and sedations. At Kennestone, you will not only see it all, but you will do it all.

We are a patient-focused, high efficiency department, and are excited to bring residents in to train in emergency medicine and work with us as we provide emergency care to a diverse and rewarding population.

As a new forum member I am not able to provide a direct link to our website, but it can be found by searching for Wellstar GME utilizing your favorite search engine. Contact information is available through our site.

Best of luck in the upcoming match, and I look forward to meeting many of you in person.

Sincerely,
Ted Stettner, MD
Program Director

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this program receptive towards Carribean grads (St. Geroge/Saba)?

Thank you!

Is this program receptive towards Carribean grads (St. Geroge/Saba)?

Thank you!

I’ve noticed a trend. Most new programs won’t respond to this question. Why would they?

Just apply. Any new program will be more likely to accept IMGs.

Ortho rotation completely run by ED faculty is interesting. I wonder how that functions.

Ortho rotation completely run by ED faculty is interesting. I wonder how that functions.

You do all the reductions in the ER instead of going to somebody's office or rounding on patients in the morning. We're busy enough we have a ton of reductions (did 2 wrist fractures and a shoulder dislocation last shift).

Reactions: 3 users
Current resident. Feel free to ask any questions! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Browsing the website out of curiosity. What's up with the concierge service?

What about it? It's still there. They run errands for you. Can't tip them, no charge except for mileage if they use their car. They charge like 50c per mile or so. You can drop your dry cleaning off with them and they will take care of it. Wrap Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, will do your shopping for you, take your car to get the oil changed, etc.

What about it? It's still there. They run errands for you. Can't tip them, no charge except for mileage if they use their car. They charge like 50c per mile or so. You can drop your dry cleaning off with them and they will take care of it. Wrap Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, will do your shopping for you, take your car to get the oil changed, etc.

Can they call your parents for you? That might be a game changer.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. SouthernDoc? This is Johnny from the Concierge service. Dr SouthernDoc just wanted to let you know that he loves you very much and that he'll be over for supper tomorrow evening."

Can they call your parents for you? That might be a game changer.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. SouthernDoc? This is Johnny from the Concierge service. Dr SouthernDoc just wanted to let you know that he loves you very much and that he'll be over for supper tomorrow evening."

Honestly, yes. They will do anything for you or figure out a way to get it done if they can't do it themselves.

IMO best perk I ever heard of from a hospital.

For those that followed the thread about us having NP's that can do central lines, chest tubes, and LP's and someone's concern of it taking away from residents, my intern yesterday did 3 intubations, 3 central lines, a chest tube (not from a central line), shoulder dislocation, and a hip dislocation. Most of our interns already have their numbers required of the entire residency from their intern year. Many have already gotten 10 chest tubes and all have more than 30 intubations.

I cannot stress enough the amount of procedures we do at Kennestone. We are a very high acuity (average ESI 2.8) 150,000 volume facility. There is no question you will get a ton of procedures and training with us.

We still need NP's and PA's for when the residents are in lecture and the overnight prior to lecture. They also see most fast track type patients during the day.

Is your program receptive to EM reapplicants currently in a PGY-1 transitional year/prelim program?

For those that followed the thread about us having NP's that can do central lines, chest tubes, and LP's and someone's concern of it taking away from residents, my intern yesterday did 3 intubations, 3 central lines, a chest tube (not from a central line), shoulder dislocation, and a hip dislocation. Most of our interns already have their numbers required of the entire residency from their intern year. Many have already gotten 10 chest tubes and all have more than 30 intubations.

I cannot stress enough the amount of procedures we do at Kennestone. We are a very high acuity (average ESI 2.8) 150,000 volume facility. There is no question you will get a ton of procedures and training with us.

We still need NP's and PA's for when the residents are in lecture and the overnight prior to lecture. They also see most fast track type patients during the day.

As a class of 12 interns, we have 700+ intubations (anesthesia month included). Most of us have satisfied or almost satisfied our numbers for sedations, reductions, central lines, chest tubes. We have 2 crics in our class, 1 pericardiocentesis, 1 lateral canthotomy and cantholysis.

Good afternoon -

I am honored to announce that the EM residency program at Kennestone has been granted full Continued Accreditation by the ACGME. We have already built a very strong resident cohort and it has been amazing watching their rapid growth and development. We will also be opening up our brand new state of the art emergency department this spring with the capacity to manage in excess of 200,000 patients annually.

Big things are happening at Kennestone and I hope you will consider joining our group! Please do not hesitate to contact me, and I look forward to reading your ERAS applications.

All the best,
Ted Stettner, MD
Program Director
[email protected]

Reactions: 9 users
WOOHOO!

Good afternoon -

I am honored to announce that the EM residency program at Kennestone has been granted full Continued Accreditation by the ACGME. We have already built a very strong resident cohort and it has been amazing watching their rapid growth and development. We will also be opening up our brand new state of the art emergency department this spring with the capacity to manage in excess of 200,000 patients annually.

Big things are happening at Kennestone and I hope you will consider joining our group! Please do not hesitate to contact me, and I look forward to reading your ERAS applications.

All the best,
Ted Stettner, MD
Program Director
[email protected]

Good afternoon -

All the best,
Ted Stettner, MD
Program Director
[email protected]
My wife and I are M1s from Kennesaw and KSU, and we have our eyes set on Kennestone in the future! Are you receptive to M1 students shadowing early on to get a feel for applying for away rotations?

My wife and I are M1s from Kennesaw and KSU, and we have our eyes set on Kennestone in the future! Are you receptive to M1 students shadowing early on to get a feel for applying for away rotations?

Kissing ass is gross.

You have a long way to go before auditions. Focus on your boards.

Reactions: 5 users

You're trying waaaaay too hard, waaaaay too early. Don't be that guy. Do the EMIG thing, do well on step 1.

I'll have to agree with focusing on class and your boards. Perhaps 3rd year - reach out about shadowing. We haven't had many shadows due to having rotating students so I can't guarantee that. And try to apply and rotate 4th year if you're still interested!

I'll have to agree with focusing on class and your boards. Perhaps 3rd year - reach out about shadowing. We haven't had many shadows due to having rotating students so I can't guarantee that. And try to apply and rotate 4th year if you're still interested!

Truth.

I didn't even know I would like EM until I tagged along in the EMIG with my buddy because they had pizza that night and I saw cute girls going, so what the hell; lets go to this meeting.

Reactions: 1 user