New attending, CME question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res1cue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am about to buy some board review stuff for ABEM written exam. Should I spring for the more expensive version that gets me CME credit?

Does the fact that I am not board certified yet mean that the CME credits dont count for anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the fact that I am not board certified yet mean that the CME credits dont count for anything?

No. It will count no matter what. All attendings, board certified or not, need CME.

To answer your original question, every state is different, so you'd have to check with the state board (by going to their website).

As a recent residency grad, you might get out of a lot (or even all) of your yearly CME requirements. Additionally, passing your boards will also likely count as CME for you. In both cases, you might not need to purchase any CME this year.

Lastly, make sure to use CME $ allocated to you by your employer and/or negotiate for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha that helps, thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you need to meet the CME requirments for any state you hold a liscense in. Some states will waive those requirements for the first year or so out of residency. Every state has their own requirments, and some have very specific additional requirements in addition to the total number of credits needed. For instance, in PA you need 100 hours of CME over two years, 12 have to be in risk management or patient safety (but don't have to be category 1). You also have to do 2 hours of Child abuse and 2 hours of appropriate pain management and opiate abuse CME. Each state has its own rules.

I feel like I get tons of free CME just browsing uptodate. So easy if your hospital pays for it. I just looked- I have 50 credits this year without much effort. Of all the MOC requirements, this is the least onerous, I think, and also the cheapest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The one thing I would echo is to be aware of the specific requirements of each state. For example, one state I am licensed in requires 2 hours in "end of life" care. I would estimate that about 75% of the board actions are fines/reprimands for failure to have those 2 hours when audited.

Hey, sorry for the bump. New grad here. I just found out one of the sites I moonlight at requires more annual CME than I had anticipated. Do didactics from my last 6 months of residency count toward my yearly CME requirements as an attending? Thanks.

Hey, sorry for the bump. New grad here. I just found out one of the sites I moonlight at requires more annual CME than I had anticipated. Do didactics from my last 6 months of residency count toward my yearly CME requirements as an attending? Thanks.
As stated, every state is different. SC gave me 60 CMEs for completing residency. The state in which you are licensed can tell you. Your question is too broad and nonspecific.

As I recall there was some stipulation in my state that we got a ton of CME just for finishing residency too. It was enough that I was under the impression nobody really had to worry about cme their first year out. Also, doesn't taking boards give you a bunch?

Also you can self certify a fair amount of Cat 2 CME