New Atypical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since it ends in "-ine" I wonder if it has similar metabolic side effects to olanzapine/clozapine/quetiapine... Wonder who effective it truly is.

Since it ends in "-ine" I wonder if it has similar metabolic side effects to olanzapine/clozapine/quetiapine... Wonder who effective it truly is.
From a brief google search, looks like it's a partial agonist.

Members don't see this ad :)
High affinity D3 > D2 partial agonist. Very different profile from olanzapine/quetiapine/clozapine. Looks like abilify except for D3 > D2 and actually even more affinity for the receptor. Would expect lots of akathisia, minimal sedation/metabolic derangements/cardiac effects.

Seems like pharma is trying to push new mechanisms (in this case D3 action & partial agonism) and is staying away from low potency atypicals for fear of metabolic problems. Doubt we're going to get anything that works better than olanzapine from this approach.

This could be a benefit for some patients and definitely would have it's place in treatment planning, but we already have too much focus on medication compliance and control IMO. What I mean by that is that the more we try to make patients do things the more we increase their natural resistance. It's difficult enough to convince a psychotic patient that consistent administration of their medications is in their best interest and the best way to do that is when they trust us. Many of the patients with psychotic disorders that I have spoken with about medications have legitimate concerns about the efficacy and safety of the medications. The more we address those concerns, the better the compliance.

Reactions: 1 user
Doubt we're going to get anything that works better than olanzapine from this approach.
For this particular drug, I'm more interested in seeing if it might be more effective than Abilify with a similar tolerability profile... but all of the studies I found from a quick PubMed search only compared it to placebo, so I probably won't start prescribing it until/unless I see a study comparing it to another antipsychotic.

Reactions: 1 user