new b question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rick_hunter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm just an aspiring college freshman and i was wondering... what are some med schools that have good programs for plastic surgery? I'm not sure, as soon as you enter a med school, do you have to declare your specialty or do you do that later in your years in med school? ps do all med schools have plastics programs? Thanks for your help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

dude. get into med school first.

ok.. that doesn't help much... i just wanted to know some good school names..... that has nothing to do with getting into med schools. just curious ya know.... thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me the names of some good retirement homes? Do they all have bingo, or just some of them? And, do I get my own room or do you usually have a roommate? Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by womansurg
Can anyone tell me the names of some good retirement homes? Do they all have bingo, or just some of them? And, do I get my own room or do you usually have a roommate? Thanks for your help.

I really like the Lutheran Retirement home. You can get your own room there, but it's more expensive. Most retirement homes do have group activities like bingo, but the Lutheran Retirement home doesn't have as many as some other ones that I've seen, but the support staff is really nice. I guess that you could suggest that they all play bingo with you if you really wanted to and I'm certain that you could get a good game going. One time, a nurse went out and bought me ice cream because I told her that I liked ice cream. I think that the money came out of her own pocket too. Anyways, here's a website. You can e-mail the administrator if you're interested in learning more about it. They are actually currently all booked up, but just as long as you reserve far enough before hand, I'm sure that a spot will open up later.

http://www.lutheran-jamestown.org/lrh-f.htm

Originally posted by Teufelhunden
Any idea what the average Step-1 score was for Lutheran?

:confused:

Step -1? As in USMLE? Are you crazy? You must be crazy. Lutheran doesn't care about step-1. They care more about your extracurriculars, grades, and LOR's. As long as you pass, you should be fine. I still think that your too crazy for Lutheran though, it's retirement community, not a crazy community.

Originally posted by Darth Vader
:confused:

Step -1? As in USMLE? Are you crazy? You must be crazy. Lutheran doesn't care about step-1. They care more about your extracurriculars, grades, and LOR's. As long as you pass, you should be fine. I still think that your too crazy for Lutheran though, it's retirement community, not a crazy community.

Oh wait...more importantly...will they accept my COMLEX?

Oh wait...more importantly...will they accept my COMLEX?

:rolleyes:

Boy, you really don't get it crazy person. Lutheran isn't all about standardized test scores. Just as long as you passed something, whether that be the DAT or NSCLE that's good enough to get your foot in the door. Then they look at your whole application. I really don't think that you stand a chance at getting in there though, based on your comments here on sdn. Your craziness will show during your interview, they are really good at picking up craziness during the interview. You should look for a retirement community more accepting of crazy people. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of stigma attached to being labeled "crazy".

Any idea what the average Step-1 score was for Lutheran?

Okay, that was good :laugh:

Seriously, to the OP, you apply for residency during your senior year of medical school, so that is when you make your decision as to which specialty to enter.

No, not all schools are associated with plastics fellowships or accelerated programs. However, that doesn't necessarily matter because many people complete surgery residencies after medical school before entering plastics.

This debate occurs frequently on this board regarding how important medical school rep is in obtaining a residency spot. IMO, the verdict is still out.

In the meantime- enjoy undergraduate! If only I could do it all over again...

Originally posted by rick_hunter
hey all, i'm just an aspiring college freshman
Dude, finish high school first.

Go away, kid. You bother me.

Usually at this point, some well-meaning-person will drop in and type an entire page sincere reply - typically accompanied by a chastisement to we arsehole jokesters for not taking the poor lad seriously.

Have at it, well-meaning-person.

Hah, the well-meaning-person actually beat my sarcastic reply.

Figures ;) .

Originally posted by Darth Vader
Your craziness will show during your interview, they are really good at picking up craziness during the interview. You should look for a retirement community more accepting of crazy people. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of stigma attached to being labeled "crazy".

I'm not "crazy," mister...I'm "Mental-Health Challenged"

Oh yeah...does my mental illness give me URM status at Lutheran? Also, I just found out I have a great-Uncle there...do they have a legacy program?

Originally posted by womansurg
Hah, the well-meaning-person actually beat my sarcastic reply.

Figures ;) .

The sh#t rolled down the surgery hierarchy totem pole all day right onto my head, so despite all of my cynicism, I felt a eensy bit of sympathy for the young guy's enthusiasm!

Ha ha, though I do appreciate the jokes
:D

ALthough i second the advice that you should focus on finishing college first, the best plastic surgery programs are usually associated with the best hospitals, in no particular order:

1. John Hopkins
2. Mayo
3. UCLA
4. Columbia
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. UIowa
7. Baylor
8. Mass General
9. Stanford
10. UCSF

I held back on the OP.
I, too, felt mixed feelings. I didn't want to be too mean (I thought it was maybe Owl's brother) On one hand, "be encouraging", the other... "get back to us after o-chem, doing well on the MCAT, getting into ANY med school, then maybe finishing your gsurg rotation..."

To the last poster,
although the UI (Iowa, that is) has a respected general surg residency as well as many subspecialty fellowships, it DOES NOT have a plastics residency or fellowship. I wish it did, it's my school!

Rick,
I think it's written "newbie", perhaps "newby" but I have never seen new b. That's on the gsurg shelf exam so better memorize it now :)

To new b,
Do not fret being a newbie, new b or even a newt for that matter. I suggest going to the professional school advsing department at your "future" college and inquire about medical school. They will be happy to help you get started in your quest. But dude, don't forget to graduate high school, as that looks bad on your med school application...

I'm at Columbia, and NYPresbyterian only recently got back its accreditation for a plastics residency - I love Columbia and all, but word on the street has it that NYU has the most "prestigious" plastics program in New York.

To the OP, relax and enjoy college! I was a freakish pre-med for the early years of college too, and now wish that I had spent the time taking history, art, romance language classes, modern dance - anything EXCEPT worry about medical school. You learn all you need to about the different medical fields, which residency is most prestigious, how to become the chairman of pediatric cardiothoracic surgery at MGH, etc. etc. in medical school.

Plus, odds are that when 3rd yr rolls around, you're going to completely change your mind. An 18 yr old's conception of a medical field is entirely different from what you experience on the floors and in the OR. Trust me - people in my class (2004) went from Ortho to Psych, Peds to Plastics, all sorts of 180 changes.

yeah i see what u mean nyc. thanks for the help. you guys are right that i am too young to worry about all this stuff, but i just wanted a general idea of how all this works. thanks again

Hi Rick,

Just to preface, I hope nothing in my post came off as cavalier - I honestly do wish I could have gone back and taken some of those opportunities. After spending my entire first 2.5 yrs of college freaking out and taking all biochem, bio, bio, more bio, doing unhelpful hospital volunteer-work (um, filing and shelving in an office) - all because of preconceived notions of what you HAVE to do to get into med school, I ended up branching out more and exploring different interests. (BONUS: It will HELP your med school application to show that you have cultivated other talents and interests!! Separates you from the other 8,000 applicants who all volunteered, took biochem, formed a future surgeons of america club, etc. etc.)

If you do go into plastics, you will have to get into med school, residency (integrated) and/or fellowship, 6-10 YEARS after med school!! If you can't exist in the moment NOW as a freshman, you will always be anticipating years ahead and missing out.

Good luck!
NYC