New BLS reports -3%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes it is getting worse. How low will it go?

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Tell that to the unconvinced pre-pharm kids. Their eyes are on the 2019 median pay... as long as its 6-figures, they'll bite.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes it is getting worse. How low will it go?

Can't wait to see how the pharmacy school deans spin this one. The UC Irvine dean explained away the 0% growth update as "negative retail growth balanced out by positive growth in clinical positions, and we're training our students to be clinical pharmacists"... The grand irony is that I researched this person and turns out she was a pharmacoeconomics professor so she should know numbers... shame on her...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't agree with their conclusions, though. They think the decline will be because mail order and internet pharmacy will take away jobs. People hate mail order. Also, they think pharmacists won't be needed due to tech check tech.

The reality is that they need a pharmacist on site to legally be opened for business. The chains have already taken away overlap. Not too much fat there.

Tech check tech won't happen either. Truth is, there will be so many pharmacy grads available, why bother? Just hire a desperate, cheap new grad. The public still wants a pharmacist there to make sure everything is done right/blame if something goes wrong. Giving them what they want won't be that expensive in the near future.

CVS and Wags will just wait us out and let inflation and overgraduation rates sort it out for them.

Reactions: 7 users
So many people sitting in pharmacy schools right now are ruining their lives. I truly believe people going into pharmacy right now have no options. That's the only way I can justify so many people being enrolled. As for the recently graduated I would give the job search 8 months to a year and then start pivoting out of pharmacy. The usual people need to push this far and wide to the prepharm forum and reddit, seeing a -3% decline might wake up a few of the cud chewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I don't agree with their conclusions, though. They think the decline will be because mail order and internet pharmacy will take away jobs. People hate mail order. Also, they think pharmacists won't be needed due to tech check tech.

The reality is that they need a pharmacist on site to legally be opened for business. The chains have already taken away overlap. Not too much fat there.

Tech check tech won't happen either. Truth is, there will be so many pharmacy grads available, why bother? Just hire a desperate, cheap new grad. The public still wants a pharmacist there to make sure everything is done right/blame if something goes wrong. Giving them what they want won't be that expensive in the near future.

CVS and Wags will just wait us out and let inflation and overgraduation rates sort it out for them.

There will be less jobs cause pharmacies close and hours get cut every year.

Remote verification, kiosk/concierge pharmacists and telepharmacy is going to obliviate retail pharmacy. Pharmacy techs have advanced more as a profession than pharmacists in the last 5 years, so I am very much expecting this trend to continue, which means legislative changes to unlock high privileges for techs will start to come through faster. At the end of the day, paying a desperate new grad $30/hr is still ... $15/hr you can save if you hired a tech instead.

The public "caring" about having a pharmacist on site to be the fall guy is irrelevant to how a business will operate. Most customer service departments are almost fully automated now - take for example your cable/internet company. It used to be that you can call a number and talk to a CSR within a ring or two, but now? How many buttons do you have to press to talk to a live person? How many people even end up talking to a person versus just talking to the AI? Pharmacy will follow suit soon enough... as a patient you'd have to go through the 11 gates of hell to talk to a pharmacist. But those that want to do so will go through the trouble... for the rest (which is the majority of patients), AI will work just fine.

Can anyone find a medical profession that has a worse outlook? I can't.

• Hmm

This isn't going to last long. With all the law suits happening as we speak, PBMs will eventually have to draw back their abuse unless they just flat out change the laws. You can only bully someone so much before they go berserk on you for threatening their livelihood. One can argue that with enough bribing, they could potentially change the laws to a point where the entire pharmacy is run by technicians only. If this is actually possibly then, it's not just the pharmacy profession that is going to be threatened. PAs and nurses have tried with little success last time I checked. 4 years of med school, 3-6 years of residencies cannot be replaced with PA and nursing degrees, just like tech training cannot replace pharmacy school education. Sad thing is pharmacy school quality is going down the toilet fast. We need to close down half of schools right now.

We shall see how far this profession falls before it bounces back up. With Arkansas case about to be heard soon, my guess is that change we need in our profession is near.

This isn't going to last long. With all the law suits happening as we speak, PBMs will eventually have to draw back their abuse unless they just flat out change the laws. You can only bully someone so much before they go berserk on you for threatening their livelihood. One can argue that with enough bribing, they could potentially change the laws to a point where the entire pharmacy is run by technicians only. If this is actually possibly then, it's not just the pharmacy profession that is going to be threatened. PAs and nurses have tried with little success last time I checked. 4 years of med school, 3-6 years of residencies cannot be replaced with PA and nursing degrees, just like tech training cannot replace pharmacy school education. Sad thing is pharmacy school quality is going down the toilet fast. We need to close down half of schools right now.

We shall see how far this profession falls before it bounces back up. With Arkansas case about to be heard soon, my guess is that change we need in our profession is near.

It's not going back up, sorry to burst your bubble. It's been on a decline ever since 2008.

It's not going back up, sorry to burst your bubble. It's been on a decline ever since 2008.
You don't know that. There are people working diligently trying to abolish PBMs and regulate insurance reimbursements. This alone should help our profession greatly.

This isn't going to last long. With all the law suits happening as we speak, PBMs will eventually have to draw back their abuse unless they just flat out change the laws. You can only bully someone so much before they go berserk on you for threatening their livelihood.
LoL you think PBMs/corporate retail are scared of "bullying" their pharmacists too much or retaliation? There are 15,000 desperate new grads with $200k+ loans (actually with inflation nowadays it's more like $300k+ but who's counting) who will die to have an opportunity at employment. Irrelevant phenomenon here.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't know that. There are people working diligently trying to abolish PBMs and regulate insurance reimbursements. This alone should help our profession greatly.

Pharmacists are door mats. They've already let this profession die in the past 12 years. There is no going back to the golden age.

Reactions: 2 users
BLS projections always lag.

It's. Over.

Can't wait to see how the pharmacy school deans spin this one. The UC Irvine dean explained away the 0% growth update as "negative retail growth balanced out by positive growth in clinical positions, and we're training our students to be clinical pharmacists"... The grand irony is that I researched this person and turns out she was a pharmacoeconomics professor so she should know numbers... shame on her...

UCI Law opened in a massive glut of attorneys and they're doing fine ::shrug::

It's the nameless office building campuses located next to freeways that will suffer (cue smallest violin)

At the end of the day, paying a desperate new grad $30/hr is still ... $15/hr you can save if you hired a tech instead.

I get what you're trying to say, but paying a pharmacist down to $30/hr obviates the need to elevate a tech to a higher level as you stated early in your post. Plus, you're missing the entire backside of the equation. Your benefits package is still going to be the same for an FT tech to maintain ERISA compliance, PLUS your liability carrier is probably going to charge you higher to compensate for the changeover and you'd have to make your move in unison with other chains/institutions to avoid the standard-of-care/liability trap, so your $15/hr becomes a rounding error in the face of that.

Not to mention the costs of lobbying boards of pharmacy, which I admit would be a one-time sink.

Better to argue that the deans will spin the lower wages as a net + for pharmacy as it "keeps pharmacists accessible" and priced right for the general good.

Wow, that was a good one, I should trademark all that.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
That school will have to change their "$100,000 advantage" ad to the "$60,000 advantage".

Reactions: 4 users
LoL you think PBMs/corporate retail are scared of "bullying" their pharmacists too much or retaliation? There are 15,000 desperate new grads with $200k+ loans (actually with inflation nowadays it's more like $300k+ but who's counting) who will die to have an opportunity at employment. Irrelevant phenomenon here.
Scared? No, i'm sure they're not. Why would they be? and who said anything about them being scared? They bullied the pharmacies for years. Pharmacies have stayed silent but when you squeeze hard enough and long enough, retaliation is inevitable.

You can keep on complaining about how bad it is or how much worse it is going to get but there are those who care enough about this profession that's ready to fight back. All I'm saying is by doing nothing, nothing is going to change.

I get what you're trying to say, but paying a pharmacist down to $30/hr obviates the need to elevate a tech to a higher level as you stated early in your post. Plus, you're missing the entire backside of the equation. Your benefits package is still going to be the same for an FT tech to maintain ERISA compliance, PLUS your liability carrier is probably going to charge you higher to compensate for the changeover and you'd have to make your move in unison with other chains/institutions to avoid the standard-of-care/liability trap, so your $15/hr becomes a rounding error in the face of that.

Not to mention the costs of lobbying boards of pharmacy, which I admit would be a one-time sink.

Better to argue that the deans will spin the lower wages as a net + for pharmacy as it "keeps pharmacists accessible" and priced right for the general good.

Pharmacy deans are so clueless, some of them didn't even know what DIR fees are. We need the right leaders, otherwise all these new crappy schools are gonna keep on popping up.

Scared? No, i'm sure they're not. Why would they be? and who said anything about them being scared? They bullied the pharmacies for years. Pharmacies have stayed silent but when you squeeze hard enough and long enough, retaliation is inevitable.

You can keep on complaining about how bad it is or how much worse it is going to get but there are those who care enough about this profession that's ready to fight back. All I'm saying is by doing nothing, nothing is going to change.
And all I'm saying is that there is no such thing as "fighting back" when you have 15,000 desperate new grads each year who will take whatever job at whatever salary and working conditions they can get because they have loans to pay off, which cheapens the profession further AND undermines any attempt from the few pharmacists willing to "fight back" to succeed.

Whoever "fights back" will be easily replaced by a part time / seasonal / per diem pharmacist for $45/hr. Good luck with that.

And all I'm saying is that there is no such thing as "fighting back" when you have 15,000 desperate new grads each year who will take whatever job at whatever salary and working conditions they can get because they have loans to pay off, which cheapens the profession further AND undermines any attempt from the few pharmacists willing to "fight back" to succeed.

The funny thing is these newbies think they deserve your job just because you have been working for 10 years.

It doesn’t matter that they don’t have any experience or they are not competent. They think it is now their turn.
I think we talking about two completely different fights. If we implement stronger and stricter laws in place and have a check and balance system to put PBMs in check, we can take the control back.

Just like the control substances. Why do you think DEA was founded in 1973? And why is that CVS is strict on their control policies? We need to implement the same type of reinforcements in reimbursements. And we will.

Remember Walmart went into Germany and started selling every item at a loss just to put all the local stores out of business?

That's what Caremark is doing. Don't forget that CVS owns the PBM.

Red herring argument. First, based on the article you posted the lobbiests are APhA pharmacy orgs, not individual pharmacists - in other words, these are people whose job is to lobby. So a generic "well do something about it" statement is not something that your average joe pharmacist can do even if they wanted to. Second, getting PBMs to reimburse at least the acquisition cost a) will have no impact on job creation or work conditions and b) is not going to net the pharmacy any more money because PBMs will just find other ways to make up that lost profit such as increasing DIR fees. You also have to stop correlating increased reimbursement to increased pharmacist hours - if anything, it will increase pharmacy tech hours since they are the way of the future. This profession is dead. Just accept it.

Can anyone find a medical profession that has a worse outlook? I can't.

Physical therapy. They went through our issues a decade ago. When I started, they were paid more than we were. Respiratory techs has gone through some dark days. Pharmacy had this exact problem in the late 70s.

I do see deans arguing for that last point and chains employing more pharmacists than I personally deem necessary to "maintain image," but the counterbalance to hiring techs instead of pharmacists is that as an employer you'd get to pay less into unemployment (since you are taxed a flat rate plus % of taxable income of your employees) and you'd be converting current 0-32 houred pharmacists to tech hours 1 for 1 and these positions already don't pay any benefits so I don't see why you'd pay benefits to techs either? The industry standard for pharmacist hours/week worked is somewhere less than what qualifies for full time benefits already, so this is probably a non-issue?

You seem to think the PBMs are the root of our problem. They are not. The root of our problem is the oversupply of pharmacists. The desperate pharmacists who have $300 k in student loans and who are OK with making less because that means they don’t have to pay back their student loans. No pharmacy regulation is going to change an oversupply issue.

We will never see another shortage of pharmacists in our lifetime. The early to late 2000 will always remember as the golden age of pharmacy.
Unless you own a pharmacy or manage an independent, it would be hard to understand why PBMs are the biggest problem our profession is facing.

Had we had enough reimbursements through out retail and hospital, the projected employment may have panned out. Lack of prescriptions or patients isn't the problem. We are doing more scripts than ever. We have more patients visiting pharmacy than ever. Yet, hours are getting cut and there are less jobs? How does that make any sense?

You have not been following the news? CVS and Walgreens used massive debt to buy other businesses. This debt has to be repaid with interest. That is why they have been cutting.

CVS owns a huge PBM. Why are they also cutting?
Because CVS don't own ALL PBMs? haha You think Optum is like "Nah, we'll cut CVS some slack since they're good people"? lol. ALL PBMs are exploiting the loophole since there is ZERO accountability and no check and balance system. No one at this point can audit PBMs. Not even medicare. The law that we are trying to implement is to make sure we can look into their books and see what they're doing. I.e. why or how it that CVS can be reimbursed 1000% more by caremark on the same drug compared to other pharmacies? This is completely illegal in most states. They get away with since there is no agency to keep them on check.

If CVS is making a boatload in profit from its PBM then why is the stock in the toilet?

View attachment 317458

I guess the supply and demand curve doesn’t apply to pharmacy.
What? I don't know how you're correlating their stock value to PBM abuse.... but i'll try to play... So... maybe they're lowering reimbursements to other pharmacies... because... they're losing money and need to compensate? Again, this should be illegal.

Abuse or not it is not the driving force behind the dismal pharmacist job market.
Any proof that it is not?

It is one of the problems. PBMs abuse and too many schools combined have created this monster.

Pharmacists are door mats. They've already let this profession die in the past 12 years. There is no going back to the golden age.

I would say greedy ass pharmacists who participated in opening up of new schools killed the profession that was considered great in the early 2000's. Pharmacists shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
Physical therapy. They went through our issues a decade ago. When I started, they were paid more than we were. Respiratory techs has gone through some dark days. Pharmacy had this exact problem in the late 70s.

I don't see massive amount of new schools opening up for PT. I don't see technology replacing them. I think their profession has realistic expectations.

I have heard of massive decline for demand for Dentists.

Look @ the number of pharmacists that are graduating each year. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. Since there are so many desperate pharmacists with $300 k in student loans, the chains can force pharmacists to work harder than ever and for less. If they won’t or can’t then the chains will just replace them.

It used to be hard to get accepted. Now anyone with a pulse will get accepted. That says it all.

The point I am trying to tell you is that it is not a simple solution like regulating the PBMs. The supply of pharmacist is the main driver. There are just too many desperate pharmacists.
Very true and I completely agree. It is not a simple solution but its a start. Regulating PBMs can be done right away. Profits can be in the hands of pharmacies, not PBMs starting next year. This will drive hiring of more workers. Heck, I want to hire another part time pharmacist and a tech but can't because these damn PBMs are reimbursing pennies. I'm thankful if we don't get negative reimbursements at this point.

Very true and I completely agree. It is not a simple solution but its a start. Regulating PBMs can be done right away. Profits can be in the hands of pharmacies, not PBMs starting next year. This will drive hiring of more workers. Heck, I want to hire another part time pharmacist and a tech but can't because these damn PBMs are reimbursing pennies. I'm thankful if we don't get negative reimbursements at this point.

CVS and Walgreens won't give a pharmacist an extra penny if they don't need to; I don't see how regulating PBM solves the main problem. Will help the independent pharmacies and their owners mostly. What about the masses who work for the chains?

CVS and Walgreens won't give a pharmacist an extra penny if they don't need to; I don't see how regulating PBM solves the main problem. Will help the independent pharmacies and their owners mostly. What about the masses who work for the chains?
@NorthTexasPharmacist is just a disgruntled retail pharmacist pushing the "PBMs are the devil" narrative because he is directly affected by it so there is personal bias involved in his perception of how the profession of pharmacy works. Poor PBM reimbursements only affects independents, which is why anytime you see lawsuits against PBMs they almost exclusively involve independents/small pharmacy chains. Ever see CVS or Walgreens suing a PBM? I think not. So this is simply a phenomenon of big companies being able to out-negotiate and out-resource smaller companies. In terms of how big a deal poor PBM reimbursements is? Well for one thing PBMs are irrelevant to hospital pharmacy because PBMs manage the pharmacy benefit only and not medical. For another, independents make up 35% of all community pharmacies and retail jobs represent around 70% of all pharmacist jobs so this whole "reform PBMs and it'll fix pharmacy" nonsense will only "benefit" 24.5% of pharmacists while the remaining 75.5% of pharmacists will not benefit from PBM reforms, so it becomes easy to see why nobody cares about PBM reforms except independent owners. And we haven't even established a correlation with increased profits to hiring more staff, let alone hiring more pharmacists specifically. Now, contrast that to closing down schools which 100% of pharmacists in any field will benefit from and stand behind...

@NorthTexasPharmacist is just a disgruntled retail pharmacist pushing the "PBMs are the devil" narrative because he is directly affected by it so there is personal bias involved in his perception of how the profession of pharmacy works. Poor PBM reimbursements only affects independents, which is why anytime you see lawsuits against PBMs they almost exclusively involve independents/small pharmacy chains. Ever see CVS or Walgreens suing a PBM? I think not. So this is simply a phenomenon of big companies being able to out-negotiate and out-resource smaller companies. In terms of how big a deal poor PBM reimbursements is? Well for one thing PBMs are irrelevant to hospital pharmacy because PBMs manage the pharmacy benefit only and not medical. For another, independents make up 35% of all community pharmacies and retail jobs represent around 70% of all pharmacist jobs so this whole "reform PBMs and it'll fix pharmacy" nonsense will only "benefit" 24.5% of pharmacists while the remaining 75.5% of pharmacists will not benefit from PBM reforms, so it becomes easy to see why nobody cares about PBM reforms except independent owners. And we haven't even established a correlation with increased profits to hiring more staff, let alone hiring more pharmacists specifically. Now, contrast that to closing down schools which 100% of pharmacists in any field will benefit from and stand behind...
Oh the good ol internet insult. You're right. I'm gonna stop this pointless exchange of insults before it gets any uglier. You keep on pushing for your own narrative and agenda. What ever that may be.

Btw, if you know the problem so well, why haven't you done anything to fix it?

Oh the good ol internet insult. You're right. I'm gonna stop this pointless exchange of insults before it gets any uglier. You keep on pushing for your own narrative and agenda. What ever that may be.

Btw, if you know the problem so well, why haven't you done anything to fix it?
Nice deflection. My narrative has been consistent: this is a dead profession. Why would I bother wasting time to fix something that's dead? Do you think journalists care about or are accountable to finding solutions to issues they cover/uncover? No, of course not. Their job is to simply cover the news in as close to an objective way as possible. Same with why I blog on SDN - I don't profit off any this but am doing my part to "spread awareness" about how this is a dying profession.

Here's the other issue with this profession: it is littered with people like you who have misguided views on who the "enemies" of this profession truly are and post things that mislead others. I guarantee you pharmacy would be much more productive and have a unified front if we didn't have 30 different factions trying to independently tackle problems specific to their work thinking that it will "benefit all pharmacists."

I don't think it is just the independents going after PBMs. States are suing them for fraudulent claims and isn't it Arkansas that is taking them to the SC?

I don't think it is just the independents going after PBMs. States are suing them for fraudulent claims and isn't it Arkansas that is taking them to the SC?
I'm sure there are other players involved but this is being discussed in the context of "better reimbursements = more pharmacist jobs" - if states get what they want how does that increase the number of pharmacist jobs?

I'm sure there are other players involved but this is being discussed in the context of "better reimbursements = more pharmacist jobs" - if states get what they want how does that increase the number of pharmacist jobs?
I agree the bigger problem are the con artist schools without a doubt. If we hadn't had the explosion of schools over the past 17 years then we would be in much better shape. But the PBMs are just as shady and need to have their books opened.

I agree the bigger problem are the con artist schools without a doubt. If we hadn't had the explosion of schools over the past 17 years then we would be in much better shape. But the PBMs are just as shady and need to have their books opened.
The PBM issue will be taken care of eventually due to pharma lobbying power, public perception etc. Pharmacists, on the other hand, need to focus on closing down schools because there are no other market forces/players that will help us in this particular fight. Only thing I can think of is student loan reforms aka if the government stops handing out free money for students to get into $200k+ debt.

The PBM issue will be taken care of eventually due to pharma lobbying power, public perception etc. Pharmacists, on the other hand, need to focus on closing down schools because there are no other market forces/players that will help us in this particular fight. Only thing I can think of is student loan reforms aka if the government stops handing out free money for students to get into $200k+ debt.
Yeap or stop precepting their students

Unless you own a pharmacy or manage an independent, it would be hard to understand why PBMs are the biggest problem our profession is facing.

Had we had enough reimbursements through out retail and hospital, the projected employment may have panned out. Lack of prescriptions or patients isn't the problem. We are doing more scripts than ever. We have more patients visiting pharmacy than ever. Yet, hours are getting cut and there are less jobs? How does that make any sense?

I agree. I see all the numbers for the pharmacy I manage, and reimbursement is the single biggest issue, imo. Oversupply is definitely a big problem and a close second, but reimbursement/DIR fees threaten the entire business model of pharmacy. Fixing that issue gives people a fighting chance to not solely have one or two big chains control pharmacist employment and the entire retail market. Same with hospital systems.

I can't speak for everyone but my goal going to school was to open an independent but looking at the numbers I just can't do it. If I could get more reimbursement, then I would open a place and my old position becomes available. I know a few pharmacy friends that would do the same. I don't want to be a corporate slave but of course who does.

PBM argument has a point. If independents are reimbursed reasonably where you can earn living and be comfortable, then all pharmacists who are slaves of chains would just leave and open up indy next door and cut in to chains profit. Chains will have to give incentives to retain talent although they can always get cheaper new grads but there will be fair competition.

PBM argument has a point. If independents are reimbursed reasonably where you can earn living and be comfortable, then all pharmacists who are slaves of chains would just leave and open up indy next door and cut in to chains profit. Chains will have to give incentives to retain talent although they can always get cheaper new grads but there will be fair competition.
Nope. You do realize it takes business skills and a certain personality to open up your own pharmacy right? You think any pharmacist moms, yes-men let alone 2.0 GPA diploma mill grads will want to open up pharmacies or be successful at it? I think not. Let's not overspeculate... at BEST you might have some chain retail pharmacists leave but not enough to force chains to pay up.

Independent pharmacies are the last mom and dad’s retails that are still standing today. There is a reason why small retails went away like the dinosaurs.

Do people know what is Walmart profit margin? Just 3%. That is how small it is. Sooner or later, Amazon is going to come in and finish them off.
Idk they certainly haven't had any success with whole foods

So basically over the next 10 years, 3% of 300000, 10000 jobs will be lost. Around 6000 pharmacists X 10 = 60000 pharmacists will retire or leave the workforce (counting 6000 as number of pharmacists graduating each year 35-40 years ago and now leaving workforce). 60000 - 10000 = 50000 jobs up for grabs over next 10 years (that would assume everyone is currently employed, which is not the case as we know). 14000 X 10 graduates = 140000 pharmacists will look for 50000 jobs. Of that hope some schools close, some dont pass NAPLEX so over time maybe 100000 pharmacists trying to go after 50000 jobs. Well there's the 20 hour per week jobs at 30$ an hour I guess (which translates into a 30k salary?).

• Haha