New Ca-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of questions for you attendings and senior residents. I am a new Inter/Ca-1 in the Or's. I finding it increasingly difficult to know when to call staff to the room versus fixing the problem myself. Also, when calling staff the night before to report on patients I feel I volunteer too much information to my staff and would like to know some shorthand on what things I should definitely discuss with my staff the day before a case, but not keep him on the phone 30 min. Also, when you ask a resident to complete a task do you prefer them to say yes sir or just a yes should suffice? Sorry I am military in a civ residency.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Start fixing the problem yourself AND call your staff to the room. Hopefully, by the time he/she gets there, you'll have fixed it. If not, they're there in time to fix it before the patient suffers. Attendings may get pissy if they get called too much but they get more pissy if you don't call them and the **** hits the fan.

2. Learning what's relevant and what's not relevant is part of residency. You will figure this out on your own. But for example, if the patient uses albuterol once a month, I probably wouldn't mention the patient has asthma, because it's really not going to change your anesthetic. Obviously, if the patient just finished a steroid taper, then that's a different story.

3. I'm a civilian in a civilian residency, but sir is always a good idea. In this day and age of DNPs and other idiots calling themselves doctors without going to medical school, calling someone sir is a good way of showing respect, IMHO.

Had a couple of questions for you attendings and senior residents. I am a new Inter/Ca-1 in the Or's. I finding it increasingly difficult to know when to call staff to the room versus fixing the problem myself. Also, when calling staff the night before to report on patients I feel I volunteer too much information to my staff and would like to know some shorthand on what things I should definitely discuss with my staff the day before a case, but not keep him on the phone 30 min. Also, when you ask a resident to complete a task do you prefer them to say yes sir or just a yes should suffice? Sorry I am military in a civ residency.
Thanks

1. Call your staff. This early on, they're happy if you call. Later when you are more experienced you will know when you DON'T need to call your staff. Right now, if you think of calling your staff, call your staff.

2. Agree with trying to start fixing the problem while your staff is on the way. Makes you look good.

3. I'm a girl in a civilian residency. I have never said "sir" or "yes sir" once during my residency. I'm sure they don't mind, but my staff seem to give me reasonably decent reviews without me calling them 'sir.'

Members don't see this ad :)
If I called my staff "sir", they'd laugh.

Maybe that's because it's coming out of my mouth, though.

man, the best advice i could give you is: if you think about calling, call. you will learn something every time and after a few times, you'll call less. as you progress and get more tools, you'll think about calling less and less and will seriously consider it when you feel compelled to get bailed out of a situation, but right now its better to look like you need a little hand holding than to look dangerous or thoughtless.

I call almost everybody "sir", even the janitor.