Recent IM residency grad looking for CA-1/PGY-2 Anesthesia position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaguely-annoyed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any open spots? Just finished IM residency last month and want to switch to anesthesia. And yes, I’ve checked residency swap and find a resident, i’m was just wondering if anyone is aware of any unadvertised spots, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know of any open spots? Just finished IM residency last month and want to switch to anesthesia. And yes, I’ve checked residency swap and find a resident, i’m was just wondering if anyone is aware of any unadvertised spots, thank you!

Check out the R spots in the Match. Probably your easiest route.

Reactions: 1 users
Consider reaching out the the anesthesia program associated with your med school and residency. I successfully transferred to a different anesthesia program mid ca1 year for personal reasons- I found the opening on Freida. It is more common than people think to change it up for different reasons and leave an opening behind.

Btw of the several people I know who have made switches - I don’t know of any program or individual using “resident swap.”

Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Btw of the several people I know who have made switches - I don’t know of any program or individual using “resident swap.”
I agree. Never seen it used or requested in all my years as a PD. The assumption that a program will just accept a resident because two residents wish to swap is extremely low.

Reactions: 3 users
Where i did residency there isnt an anesthesia program anywhere within 300 miles. I have contacted the anesthesia program that was associated with my med school, but they dont have any openings. I mostly look at residency swap for vacant positions not swap positions. I didnt even know I can check freida for spots!! Thank you so much!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Where i did residency there isnt an anesthesia program anywhere within 300 miles. I have contacted the anesthesia program that was associated with my med school, but they dont have any openings. I mostly look at residency swap for vacant positions not swap positions. I didnt even know I can check freida for spots!! Thank you so much!!!!
Do the following, find an address of every program in the nation, prepare a letter and send it to every single program, one will reply. Yes it has been done before and yes it works. Do tell why such a hatred for Internal Medicine, Anesthesia (unless money is your only driver) may not be the place for everyone right now considering the constant squeeze on us, the shortages etc... just a thought.

Do the following, find an address of every program in the nation, prepare a letter and send it to every single program, one will reply. Yes it has been done before and yes it works. Do tell why such a hatred for Internal Medicine, Anesthesia (unless money is your only driver) may not be the place for everyone right now considering the constant squeeze on us, the shortages etc... just a thought.
At times of shortage is the best time to go into a field. You just have to make sure you time it correctly. It appears that the anesthesiology shortage will last a few more years at least, so it is likely still safe.
If there was any hope for a paradigm shift in emergency medicine that was favorable to physicians, this would be the perfect time to go into EM. However, I think the issues are far deeper and the recovery for that specialty will be more challenging than just a few years, based on the little bit that I have heard about their situation.

At times of shortage is the best time to go into a field. You just have to make sure you time it correctly. It appears that the anesthesiology shortage will last a few more years at least, so it is likely still safe.
If there was any hope for a paradigm shift in emergency medicine that was favorable to physicians, this would be the perfect time to go into EM. However, I think the issues are far deeper and the recovery for that specialty will be more challenging than just a few years, based on the little bit that I have heard about their situation.

It’s insane how EM went from boom to bust so quickly.

Reactions: 5 users

It is a thankless field now (anesthesia) with higher case acuity across the board (ASCs doing ASA 3+) shortages everywhere, administration that does not know jack **** about healthcare (as they never practiced it or even seen it up close) but are applying Walmart Logic to hospitals.... everyone thinks they know better (CRNAs, patients etc) than physicians ..... there are better healthcare professions ... look at ortho guys kings of the castle ..... I don't know anything about EM except that COVID did a thing on them (and on everything else)...

I originally applied anesthesia and didnt match, so soaped into IM (didnt really like it as a med student, didnt like it as a resident, and i still dont like it as an attending)

Reactions: 4 users
I originally applied anesthesia and didnt match, so soaped into IM (didnt really like it as a med student, didnt like it as a resident, and i still dont like it as an attending)

Can fully understand not liking IM. Hopefully you were still a good resident with good references.

Nowadays it’s significantly harder to get an anesthesia residency spot than it is to get an anesthesia attending job. I remember a time when the complete opposite was true. When the job market sucks again, the residency spots will be easier to get;)

Can fully understand not liking IM. Hopefully you were still a good resident with good references.

Nowadays it’s significantly harder to get an anesthesia residency spot than it is to get an anesthesia attending job. I remember a time when the complete opposite was true. When the job market sucks again, the residency spots will be easier to get;)
Yeah just wait 1-2 years. This supply/demand is cyclical in nature. Always has been, always will be.

Yeah just wait 1-2 years. This supply/demand is cyclical in nature. Always has been, always will be.
Not so much.... with covid wiping out the older attending population the attrition rate is at least twice that of new attendings graduating.... who btw are not willing to take a lot of jobs.... the cycle will not get there for many years to come. With hospitals attempting to expand where they should not be (as they cannot even staff current ORs) and a significant shortage we will be in this trough for many years to come

Members don't see this ad :)
Not so much.... with covid wiping out the older attending population the attrition rate is at least twice that of new attendings graduating.... who btw are not willing to take a lot of jobs.... the cycle will not get there for many years to come. With hospitals attempting to expand where they should not be (as they cannot even staff current ORs) and a significant shortage we will be in this trough for many years to come
Could be; sound logic. Time will tell.

Not to mention the boomer demographic hitting Medicare age…

I'm a PGY-3 in Internal Medicine as well. Was going to apply to Cardiology this year, but I honestly do not enjoy much of anything Internal Medicine has to offer. In medical school, I was debating Internal Medicine versus anesthesia and went for IM which I new regret.

I go to an institution with an in-house anesthesiology residency, but I do not know if they have an R spot. I am a bit worried about reaching out and it getting back to my PD. Regardless, how common is it to see IM-trained docs enter into anesthesia?

I would also appreciate any guidance or help from anyone. :)

Thank you

I'm a PGY-3 in Internal Medicine as well. Was going to apply to Cardiology this year, but I honestly do not enjoy much of anything Internal Medicine has to offer. In medical school, I was debating Internal Medicine versus anesthesia and went for IM which I new regret.

I go to an institution with an in-house anesthesiology residency, but I do not know if they have an R spot. I am a bit worried about reaching out and it getting back to my PD. Regardless, how common is it to see IM-trained docs enter into anesthesia?

Thank you

Not uncommon.

Thank you
Anesthesiology is extremely competitive these days. Think dermatology competitive. Very unlikely you'll slide into a spot. Go through the Match and hope for the best.

Why not pursue an IM fellowship? Endocrinologists don’t rot in a hospital in the middle of the night titrating pressors on some half dead 90 year old getting an ex-lap for ischemic bowel.

Reactions: 5 users
Anesthesiology is extremely competitive these days. Think dermatology competitive. Very unlikely you'll slide into a spot. Go through the Match and hope for the best.

Is it really derm-level? I have USMLE Steps of 243/237 (no Step 3) and I am a USDO. I would think that makes me average?

Derm applicants, like ortho, need to start buffing their applications in summer between M1 and M2 year. Anesthesia is not like that. And the majority of derm matches are AOA while the majority of anesthesia matches are not.

Derm applicants, like ortho, need to start buffing their applications in summer between M1 and M2 year. Anesthesia is not like that. And the majority of derm matches are AOA while the majority of anesthesia matches are not.
Based on the way current med students are behaving at my place, it is definitely trending that way.

Thank you

I for one am IM trained. I think even within this small community here, there is at least another one or two.

I would somewhat echo some others opinions here. While it seems very “lucrative” these days, there are other challenges that you may not see as an outsider. I did toy with the idea of pulm/crit, I can sometimes also see myself being as happy there.

I think you have the right approach. Go back to people you know, you’ve worked with. So your home hospitals, your home program. You may not “necessarily” need a R spot, you can do another internship year. It will be annoying beyond belief, but don’t write it off as a way to get there. If that’s what you really want.

Last edited:
The numbers support anesthesia being becoming increasingly but still moderately competitive, and nowhere near derm.

Last edited: