New car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikkel

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
In the market for new car. What's your pick?

C8 Corvette
2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-03.jpg

Ford Shelby GT 500
gt500-ogi.jpg

Toyota Supra
2020-Toyota-Supra-Launch-Edition-front-side-view-from-above-1.jpg

Lexus LC500
01-2018-Lexus-LC-500-Action-KBB.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love these threads.
All those vehicles have their own flavor.
Personally (after a 200k buying year a few years back) I would buy them used and well cared for.

I don't want a car that will break down after a few thousand miles.

Lexus > Toyota/BMW > Ford > Chevrolet

Love these threads.
All those vehicles have their own flavor.
Personally (after a 200k buying year a few years back) I would buy them used and well cared for.

I'm worried that "well-cared for" means no visible damage but plenty of engine/transmission wear.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If you want a cute (well, powerful and cute) toy, the Corvette blows the others out of the water aesthetically.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondhand Mazda 3 hatchback master race.

2008/07 BMW Z4M Coupe 6 speed manual. Becoming more and more rare, but can be had for ~$40k with low mileage.

2018 F250 Lariat. 6.7 turbo diesel. NEVER going back to a car again.

IMG_7731.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
My last car purchase was the Model 3. Best car I've ever driven. I had pretty much stuck to BMW's before then but will never go back. The performance is just ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My last car purchase was the Model 3. Best car I've ever driven. I had pretty much stuck to BMW's before then but will never go back. The performance is just ridiculous.

Which version did you get? Standard Model 3 is over 5 seconds for 0-60.

If you have a house, you need a truck.

If you have a house, you need a truck.
I figure I can tow a rental trailer with a crossover SUV if I really needed. If I need the truckbed for only 1-5% of the vehicle ownership time, then 95% of the time is wasted.

Also Home Depot does hourly truck rental, much cheaper than owning.

I love having a truck and use it like a truck weekly at least (throwing two yards of bark in the back, buying a bunch of lumber or plants, throwing 5 bikes in the back, etc). Incredibly practical if you are someone who owns any amount of property or is a do it yourselfer. Also fantastic if you live in an area with decent annual snowfall/venture up to the mountain with any regularity to ski.

Newer full-size trucks are quiet and smooth to drive. Mine fits my 3 kids and dog very comfortably in the back.

One scenario where I would not drive my truck as a daily driver is if I lived in a major metro area and had to park in a parking garage, etc. Major pain to park in small lots/garages.

2018 F250 Lariat. 6.7 turbo diesel. NEVER going back to a car again.

View attachment 273256
YES! Absolutely this! All good except for the out-of-control prices on "the most popular truck in America".

One of our GYN docs has a monstrous Ford Raptor edition F150. $75K+

Tesla model 3 LR AWD base colored paint premium interior FSD.

I just got one :)

0-60 in 4.4 seconds. But saying this is just a fast 0-60 car is not doing it justice. Flash back to 2009. Y'all are bragging about your awesome Motorola Razor while I just bought an iPhone. Model 3 here is the iPhone.

For a progressive crowd, the conversation here is shockingly backwards. Don't understand why a bunch of highly educated people of science are still talking about internal combustion engines when the future is so affordable to them....

It's almost like yall are willingly ignorant ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't want a car that will break down after a few thousand miles.

Lexus > Toyota/BMW > Ford > Chevrolet
Acura/Lexus = Honda/Toyota (same maker) >BMW/Mercedes > would not buy anything else

Which version did you get? Standard Model 3 is over 5 seconds for 0-60.
I have the long range RWD, got it last year. One thing to note about Tesla's 0-60's, they are faster than what they advertise. And they periodically give you software updates that adds performance/power to your car. I easily get sub 5sec 0-60 times. What may be even more impressive than the 0-60 of teslas is its acceleration at higher speeds, like going from 40 to 60 or 80. Its a rocket. Instantaneous power.

0-60 in 4.4 seconds. But saying this is just a fast 0-60 car is not doing it justice. Flash back to 2009. Y'all are bragging about your awesome Motorola Razor while I just bought an iPhone. Model 3 here is the iPhone.

For a progressive crowd, the conversation here is shockingly backwards. Don't understand why a bunch of highly educated people of science are still talking about internal combustion engines when the future is so affordable to them....

I’d get one as a commuter potentially one day, but the reality is, as someone who wants to potentially drive more than 300 miles in a trip, drive when it’s cold out (zaps battery capacity I guess), etc. there are too many limitations for me to accept in a car that will run me 60-100k (nice model 3–>S). The grid with charging stations is too patchy in my part of the country.

Additionally, I’m not sure I want to spend that kind of money to buy a car from a corporation with really shaky financial fundamentals, led by a coked out wack job. What happens to my expensive car if Tesla folds? I’m not aware of many independent repair shops for them.

Perfect scenario for me would be my old paid off heavy duty truck for work/play and EV for commuting, but I’m not willing to take that plunge yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
For a progressive crowd, the conversation here is shockingly backwards. Don't understand why a bunch of highly educated men of science are still talking about internal combustion engines when the future is so affordable to them....

You act like manufacturing and mining materials for batteries is not bad for the environment, or that charging via a fossil-fuel heavy generation is not hypocritical.

Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go.

Until that becomes mainstream, I'm sticking with the infernal combustion engine.

Reactions: 3 users

C8 Corvette

Ford Shelby GT 500
gt500-ogi.jpg

Toyota Supra

Lexus LC500
Corvette.

Cheaper and just as fun.

New one is mid engine.

C8 Corvette

Ford Shelby GT 500
gt500-ogi.jpg

Toyota Supra

Lexus LC500

I'd be worried my penis would shrink just from test driving any one of those cars.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Totally Tesla except for the caution about the long term viability of the company and issues with long service times. I have a Chevy Volt and it's a great compromise between electric and gas, except I wish it had more battery

I'd be worried my penis would shrink just from test driving any one of those cars.

I thought that only applies to people who drive huge trucks.

img_7731-jpg.273256

Totally Tesla except for the caution about the long term viability of the company and issues with long service times. I have a Chevy Volt and it's a great compromise between electric and gas, except I wish it had more battery
Tesla advertises self driving capability, and people believe it, and people die because of it.

It's hard to trust a company that is complacent with literally killing its customers.

I thought that only applies to people who drive huge trucks.

Not when it's because you've got toys to tow and like to offroad. My problem with sports cars is that unless you track it, you can't do anything in a 6 figure sports car on the street I can't do in my 28K$ GTI.

One of our neurosurgeons recently got a Challenger Red Eye, and I will say, that car sounds amaaaaaaaazing.

I'm getting antsy for Ram to release the Rebel TRX with the supercharged 6.2L Hellcat motor next year.

You act like manufacturing and mining materials for batteries is not bad for the environment, or that charging via a fossil-fuel heavy generation is not hypocritical.

Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go.

Until that becomes mainstream, I'm sticking with the infernal combustion engine.

This is an extremely ignorant and simple-minded rebuttal to a very complex problem.

Yes Electric vehicle production produces carbon emissions compared to some ICE production, yes fossil-fuel energy generation produces carbon emissions. And no, charging via fossil fuel generated power is NOT hypocritical. (Because EVs are extremely energy efficient, in my tesla, i could go 300+ miles on energy equivalent of 3 gallons of fuel).

The initial carbon emission of a Tesla model 3 is higher than internal combustion (ICE ) vehicles, but break even point starts at about 3 years in a state like Texas where a majority of the power generations are from non-renewable energy. If you are buying your power from renewable sources like green mountain energy (available in the midwest and in Texas), your breakeven point is way earlier. If you are comparing it to other performance cars who are very fuel inefficient, as i believe most of the cars above get under 20 or 25 MPG, the breakeven point is even earlier. Over the life of the vehicle, let's say 7 years. You've saved the carbon emission of another 1-2 ICE cars. The net carbon emission of driving a Tesla is not 0, but it is the obvious no brainer compared to any ICE.

FACT CHECK ME.

Furthermore, with Tesla, one is not sacrificing performance in order to save the environment. 0-60 in 3.2 secs cost you about $62K. Thats $62k after taxes and BEFORE rebates (new york right now is another ~$4k off in form of rebate tax credit, but it varies by state). I personally forgone the performance model but i got full self-driving. I only actively drive about 20% of my commute every day (after i get off high way and before i get on it). I cannot emphasize how much you're missing out if you've never experience a Tesla model 3.... You're gonna feel like any other non-tesla car is like buying a horse carriage.

If you're set in your ways, I cannot convince you global warming is not real. If by this point in your life no one has convinced you that global warming is real, then you're either blind as a bat or ignoring all the evidence. Some guy on a internet board isn't going to set that right. But I still find it odd that a group of highly specialized doctors don't see the merit in buying a Tesla and still fantasizes about ICE like the mustang or the corvette..... You're buying a extremely high performance car while saving the earth that is more future proof than anything out there.....

Last edited:
Tesla advertises self driving capability, and people believe it, and people die because of it.

It's hard to trust a company that is complacent with literally killing its customers.

Let me ask you. Have you ever used Navigate on Autopilot in a Tesla?

This is another ignorant assertion. No one has advertised full level 5 self driving. Right now Tesla advertises level 3 self driving on highways. I do it every day when i drive home from work. I trust my life with it because i'm able to take over anytime I want to.

Not to mention the front crumble zone is literally the safest thing you can have in a car right now....

Last edited:

If you're a ***** who turns on the software and closes their eyes then yes it's dumb, if you use it as a driver assist program then it will make drives much less stressful and potentially more safer, especially those with long commutes. What's sad is legacy automakers not really applying this concept, even atleast at half the ability that Tesla has developed. You don't need an electric car to have all the fancy features that it encompasses.

Lease.

A good lease is cheaper than buying a car and you get a new car every 2-3 years. There’s a whole leasehacking community out there.

F-types and i8s both lease well for their MSRP

If you're set in your ways, I cannot convince you global warming is not real. If by this point in your life no one has convinced you that global warming is real, then you're either blind as a bat or ignoring all the evidence. Some guy on a internet board isn't going to set that right. But I still find it odd that a group of highly specialized doctors don't see it..... You're buying a extremely high performance car while saving the earth.....

You driving a Tesla isn't doing anything to save the world, you're pissing into the ocean at this point.

But, I'm glad I paid $7500 in Federal taxes so that I can finance your car purchase and make you feel better about yourself.

(Isn't it great how the government enacted a tax that diverts money from the middle class straight to rich Tesla owners' pockets?)

You can have your affordable future

There’s a lot more to a NA mid engine V8 that you’ll never get from an electric.

You can have your affordable future

There’s a lot more to a NA mid engine V8 that you’ll never get from an electric.

Besides drifting (it's extremely hard to drift in a tesla) and engine sounds. What does a NA mid engine V8 offer?

Last edited:
If you're a ***** who turns on the software and closes their eyes then yes it's dumb, if you use it as a driver assist program then it will make drives much less stressful and potentially more safer, especially those with long commutes. What's sad is legacy automakers not really applying this concept, even atleast at half the ability that Tesla has developed. You don't need an electric car to have all the fancy features that it encompasses.

My wife’s new Honda has a very basic lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control feature and on a recent long road trip it significantly reduced my driving fatigue all by making micro lane adjustments and keeping pace with the car in front. I’m a believer in the technology. No one is claiming full on autopilot features yet, but as driver’s aids, these technologies are totally worth it. I know Honda is including these technologies on base models. It won’t be long before they are requirements much like the backup camera.

You driving a Tesla isn't doing anything to save the world, you're pissing into the ocean at this point.

But, I'm glad I paid $7500 in Federal taxes so that I can finance your car purchase and make you feel better about yourself.

(Isn't it great how the government enacted a tax that diverts money from the middle class straight to rich Tesla owners' pockets?)

So I guess that eliminates the Corvette from your list? We wouldn’t want you to be driving around in middle class taxpayer bailout money, would we?

So I guess that eliminates the Corvette from your list? We wouldn’t want you to be driving around in middle class taxpayer bailout money, would we?
Yeah the bailout was a ridiculous Obama handout to corporations and unions. They should have gone bankrupt and their facilities liquidated. GM reliability is bottom of the barrel anyway.

Corvette is built in a different factory, so maybe better QC?

Perfect attitude. You probably don't fight against CRNA encroachment either by that logic.

Your understanding of federal tax credit is also extremely ignorant, egocentric, and myopic:

I am a believer of a small government, but one of the necessary jobs of governments is that they are needed because of externalities. Externality like what the carbon emission is doing to the environment that we all live in. The cost of driving your carbon emitting car isn't just the monetary cost of production and monetary cost of gallons of gas. The environmental effect of you driving a corvette also costs that little kid with asthma thousands of dollar in doctors bills, or people tons of money in cooling or heating costs in the extremes of summer or winter.

The federal tax credit is charging those that destroy the environment and gives and incentive for those that want to preserve it more. You didn't pay $7500 in federal taxes so you can finance my car purchase. That again is an extremely myopic and egocentric.

You ONLY PAID $7500 to destroy the environment we all live in. Given how ignorant you sound in your replies, i think they undercharged you.

***Disclaimer to those considering buying a Tesla, the current tax credit is only $1875.

Last edited:
i use my truck to pull dune buggys, dirt bikes and my gf's boat. it can basically tow a 5th wheel without any issues. would i buy one if i lived in the city? probably not.

i think the teslas are cool, but they never appealed to me (like trucks don't appeal to others). i like the sounds of the engine and i love to drive. yes, they go fast but aside from being a status symbol, why not buy a leaf or a prius? i don't know much about the self driving mode but i recently had a trauma pt "place their tesla on auto pilot" severely injuring and killing those inside when they hit a tree. aside from the P100D they all look hideous as well.

Perfect attitude. You probably don't fight against CRNA encroachment either by that logic.

I donate heavily to ASAPAC, and participate actively in its efforts.

Yeah the bailout was a ridiculous Obama handout to corporations and unions. They should have gone bankrupt and their facilities liquidated. GM reliability is bottom of the barrel anyway.

Corvette is built in a different factory, so maybe better QC?

You also realize that every automaker is eligible for the tax rebate and they all only get so many rebates, right? Tesla is actually being phased out of rebates now. Chevy gets rebates for the Volt, Kia gets rebates for the Niro, Nissan gets rebates for the Leaf, etc. So despite what your conservative news article said, it’s not just taxpayer money going into rich Tesla owner’s pockets. It’s a government funded incentive for automakers to develop a new technology. There are worse things that tax dollars could be used for.

Besides drifting (it's extremely hard to drift in a tesla) and engine sounds. What does a NA mid engine V8 offer?
Sound, experience, balance, and fun. All way before even considering drifting.

it’s not just taxpayer money going into rich Tesla owner’s pockets. It’s a government funded incentive for automakers to develop a new technology. There are worse things that tax dollars could be used for.

Call it for what it is:

Government funded = taxpayer money

Acura/Lexus = Honda/Toyota (same maker) >BMW/Mercedes > would not buy anything else
I know that, but Lexus QC has an edge over Toyota. Acura and Honda are more of an equivalent though.

BMW and American Mercedes are terrible for reliability, primarily the electronics, and they cost a fortune to repair. The BMW-Toyota partnership might have yielded some reliability benefits, but it's too early to know which side won out for the Supra design (I think BMW's design philosophy dominated).

Why would anyone choose the Corvette over the lambo huracan?
$200,000 price difference, Italian cars aren't great for reliability, expensive repairs, rare parts, few dealerships.