New Curriculum Scholl c/o 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackedUp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an e-mail this morning from Scholl in which vision 2015 is discussed. It stated that Scholl college plays an important role in vision 2015, and is changing the curriculum for the c/o 2012, i'm assuming closer to the MD/DO curriculum. This is exciting news, and shows great progression in vision 2015 becoming a reality. I'm psyched to be starting in a couple of months. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an e-mail this morning from Scholl in which vision 2015 is discussed. It stated that Scholl college plays an important role in vision 2015, and is changing the curriculum for the c/o 2012, i'm assuming closer to the MD/DO curriculum. This is exciting news, and shows great progression in vision 2015 becoming a reality. I'm psyched to be starting in a couple of months. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

I'm surprised you have not heard of this already. Scholl talked about this during my interview in October. I'm glad that Scholl is working towards 2015 while other places are not helping the cause or adapting.

One thing, we will not be in any courses with the MD students except gen anatomy, ECM, and something else. I was hoping to be fully integrated with the MD's in a way that AZPOD does. I am not sure if the future goals of Rosalind Franklin are for pod students to take the USMLE but it would definitely help if we were in the same classes as the medical students. Another thing, no real summer vacation (2 weeks). It may not be a big deal for some but it is pretty nice to have a break and relieve burnout.

Long summer break = no financial aid, so I don't mind too much. Plus they're not raising tuition to cover those extra weeks in class, so I can't complain. I'm excited to see what the actual schedule will look like, and it's great they're getting us into the clinic sooner. Great for us anyways (poor pt's)!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys - awesome info, please post it up here when you get more info on the changes and such, thanks!!!

In the email Scholl sent out it says, "We will continue to follow the University academic calendar so the dates for orientation, holidays and breaks for the 2008-2009 academic year remain unchanged. " Any idea where to find said "academic calendar"? I tried searching the website to no avail. Thanks!

Thanks. So do you think it's safe to say these will be about the same for class 2012 with the new curriculum change and everything? I know we'll also get a 2 week or so break in the summer, but besides that.

I'm trying to cash in a frequent flyer ticket, and you have to book it like 6 months in advance...ugh.

Thanks. So do you think it's safe to say these will be about the same for class 2012 with the new curriculum change and everything? I know we'll also get a 2 week or so break in the summer, but besides that.

your curriculum will be different from what we had last year. some classes are added and some are rearranged for you guys. I think they will be putting out the new curriculum & class schedules in first week of july. Wait till then before booking tickets for vaccations,christmas break,etc :)

your curriculum will be different from what we had last year. some classes are added and some are rearranged for you guys. I think they will be putting out the new curriculum & class schedules in first week of july. Wait till then before booking tickets for vaccations,christmas break,etc :)

Even MORE classes on top of the old favorites (A&P, biochemistry, etc.)?! :scared:

Even MORE classes on top of the old favorites (A&P, biochemistry, etc.)?! :scared:

yep, for example: we (second yrs) are going to take ECR-2, General Medicine (which was actually scheduled for 3rd yr),etc classes .Now our seniors didnt took these classes when they were in 2nd yr. i guess class of 2012 will be getting biomechanics,etc. I'am not sure though. iam just saying what i heard from others. we will know by 1st week of july what exactly is going on.

The following is the new curriculum for P1s, Scholl Class of 2012:
From Aug. '08 - end of May '09
Structure & Function (histo + physio) - 145 Contact hours
Clinical Anatomy - 134 Contact hours
Biochemistry - 85 Contact hours
Microbiology & Immunology - 77 Contact hours
Neuroscience - 60 Contact hours
Lower Extremity Anatomy - 123 Contact hours
Podiatric Medicine & Surgery 1 - 70 Contact hours
Interprofessional Healthcare Teams - 12 Contact hours
Essentials of Clinical Reasoning - 65 Contact hours
Biomed Stats/Evidence Based Medicine/Research - 20 Contact hours
Biomechanics (60 Contact hours) -->june-aug.'09
Clinic - June-Aug '09

Obviously not all of these are occurring at the same time, classes are staggered.

P2 Year (August '09 - June '10):
Pharmacology - 99 Contact hours
Pathology - 110 Contact hours
Clinical Biomechanics & Pediatric Orthopedics - 68 Contact hours
General Surgery Principles - 76 Contact hours
Clinic
Advanced Radiology - 50 Contact hours
Medicine Modules (Derm, PVD, etc.) - 162 Contact hours
Podiatric Medicine & Surgery II - 36 Contact hours

P3 Year:
-From June - Dec. students will be rotating through the Clinics at Scholl in various rotations (Surgery, Radiology, Medicine, Biomech/Ortho)
-From Jan- until end of 4th year, students rotate through programs in the Chicagoland area (1month duration). They also have 7 electives, where students can rotate through any program in the nation that has a clerkship associated with it (acceptance by application).

Hope this helps! It looks like a lot your first year, and it is. Come prepared to hit the ground running!

The following is the new curriculum for P1s, Scholl Class of 2012:
From Aug. '08 - end of May '09
Structure & Function (histo + physio) - 145 Contact hours
Clinical Anatomy - 134 Contact hours
Biochemistry - 85 Contact hours
Microbiology & Immunology - 77 Contact hours
Neuroscience - 60 Contact hours
Lower Extremity Anatomy - 123 Contact hours
Podiatric Medicine & Surgery 1 - 70 Contact hours
Interprofessional Healthcare Teams - 12 Contact hours
Essentials of Clinical Reasoning - 65 Contact hours
Biomed Stats/Evidence Based Medicine/Research - 20 Contact hours
Biomechanics (60 Contact hours) -->june-aug.'09
Clinic - June-Aug '09

Obviously not all of these are occurring at the same time, classes are staggered.

P2 Year (August '09 - June '10):
Pharmacology - 99 Contact hours
Pathology - 110 Contact hours
Clinical Biomechanics & Pediatric Orthopedics - 68 Contact hours
General Surgery Principles - 76 Contact hours
Clinic
Advanced Radiology - 50 Contact hours
Medicine Modules (Derm, PVD, etc.) - 162 Contact hours
Podiatric Medicine & Surgery II - 36 Contact hours

P3 Year:
-From June - Dec. students will be rotating through the Clinics at Scholl in various rotations (Surgery, Radiology, Medicine, Biomech/Ortho)
-From Jan- until end of 4th year, students rotate through programs in the Chicagoland area (1month duration). They also have 7 electives, where students can rotate through any program in the nation that has a clerkship associated with it (acceptance by application).

Hope this helps! It looks like a lot your first year, and it is. Come prepared to hit the ground running!

wow! looks like i will be seeing a lot of class of 2012 camped in library all the time :)

Many may think there are disadvantages to only having a couple weeks between your P1 and P2 year, but I'm sitting here in the midst of my summer vacation after P1 year BORED OUT OF MY EFFING SKULL. Having a shorter vacation will definitely keep yourmind engaged in school, I feel like I've forgotten a lot of things so I'm doing volunteer work in a free clinic and reading random board review books just to keep my mind engaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha ha, that's awesome MrFeeties! I know what you mean, and I agree, it's not always good to have big chunks of time off between classes. Also, it might mean you try to get a short term J-O-B, which would suck.

That was a great post about the P1-P4 curriculum above. Does anyone know the duration, even on average if it's not standard, of the 7 electives at the end of P3 and through P4? Are you away for a month at a time? Two weeks??

[/QUOTE] That was a great post about the P1-P4 curriculum above. Does anyone know the duration, even on average if it's not standard, of the 7 electives at the end of P3 and through P4? Are you away for a month at a time? Two weeks??[/QUOTE]

Chicagoland and Elective rotations are 1 month in duration. Depending on what specific schedule you receive your 3rd and 4th year you may have 2 elective rotations back-to-back and be away for up to 2 months at a time.

What types of things are done in the Interprofesional Healthcare Teams class?

What types of things are done in the Interprofesional Healthcare Teams class?

Since Rosalind Franklin University is an entirely graduate level healthcare university, they have the class Interprofessional Healthcare Teams. The purpose of the class is to help students going into a healthcare field learn what other healthcare professions do. It focuses on group care of a patient (eg. MD, DPM and PT working to better an individual in medical need). Some of it revolves around professional education and team building.

It's true that the course needs a little work, but the idea behind it is great. The class will only blow if you go into it thinking that it will blow. Believe it or not, this class will help you down the road. A goal of Vision 2015 is to educate the healthcare profession about podiatry. What better place to start than while they're in school?!? It's a perfect opportunity to tell them exactly who you are and what you do. It'll translate into them being more knowledgable to what a podiatrist is, and makes them more likely to refer patients to us. Believe it or not, many people in the healthcare community are ignorant as to what we can do...

Hey does anyone know where I can find a list of books we will be needing for classes this fall. I usually like to buy my books online because it's cheaper, and some of them have long shipping times. Any help would be appreciated.

Scholl first year orientation will cover books and materials you need. They may send out an email in advance? For the most part, I think the only books you really need for the fall are books for ECR, which are abundant on half.com or amazon, and an anatomy atlas (Netter's was my fav, but Moore is good also and they take a lot of questions out of the Moore book. Some ppl like Grant's, Rohens is good for lab exams, but just ceck it out at the library). I recommend the histology Atlas, but it isn't necessary (I never had one)

Also make sure you have a pair of scrubs and old shoes for lab, a decent stethoscope, and a way to print all of your notes, which can get expensive! Most other things you need you can get at the book store on campus for pretty cheap, like a snellen chart, tuning forks, scalpel blades, a penlight, etc...

Pretty much all material comes straight from the notes. I STRONGLY recmmend a tablet PC with Microsoft OneNote. With what you spend in ink catridges it will almost pay for itself and the picture quality is better, which is mucho importante in anatomy and micro. I just loaded all the ppt and pdf files from D2L into OneNote and scribbled all over it. Another solution is to have all high quality images printed professionally by a kinkos or the Creative Media Center in the basement of the library. It does get pricey though!

Mr Feeties - awesome input. I think the tablet notebook and the associated software is exactly the type of input that I would want... if I were getting ready to start school (sigh...), awesome!
v/r

sorry...remove..wrong section

Last edited:
Right on, thanks for your input Mrfeeties.

So in your opinion having a tablet PC to scribble your own notes all over high rez pics beats the pants off of printing out your own notes to write on? Can the writing utensil of your tablet PC really keep up vs a conventional pen?

I know zero things about tablet PCs, but do you have some models or brands to reccomend? Or what youd avoid or pay a few extra bucks to have as a feature if you were to purchase a new one?....or any advise at all really lol.

Thanks in advance!

I just wanted to say that I print all of my notes and then write on them. I would never be able to use the tablet quick enough; although the newer ones do work better. I also get tired of looking at a computer screen.

If you do print out your own notes, keep in mind that in addition to being costly, it's very time consuming.

I'm surprised you have not heard of this already. Scholl talked about this during my interview in October. I'm glad that Scholl is working towards 2015 while other places are not helping the cause or adapting.

One thing, we will not be in any courses with the MD students except gen anatomy, ECM, and something else. I was hoping to be fully integrated with the MD's in a way that AZPOD does. I am not sure if the future goals of Rosalind Franklin are for pod students to take the USMLE but it would definitely help if we were in the same classes as the medical students. Another thing, no real summer vacation (2 weeks). It may not be a big deal for some but it is pretty nice to have a break and relieve burnout.

If pods were fully integrated with the md students, then where would you fit in the podiatry specific classes? Don't forget that it is the specialty specific training early on that allows for our residencies to be 2-3 years versus the shortest md surgical residency of 5 years. I do agree though that if they really want pod students to take the usmle then they are going to have to step up the integration...especially in physio. Don't get me wrong; I thought that our physio was great, but we only had two quarters compared to the md students' three quarters.