New D.O Schools opening 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngandambitious1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows new D.O schools that are opening up for students to matriculate in Fall 2018. I've seen people say apply to the new schools opening up in 2018. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
KCU is opening new Joplin campus, increases class size from 270 to 420. Joplin opening fall 2017, kinda 2018 I guess

Members don't see this ad :)
And something to think about -- Marian University opened recently (2013).

Number of applicants remained nearly constant across years 2019 and 2020, and average GPA and MCATs also remained nearly constant across those 2 years. This means that you can expect MUCOM to have similar a similar acceptance rate next year.

There were 4.4k applicants, ~500 interviews, ~380 offers for 160 matriculants. For medical school, if you're asking this question to figure out 'high acceptance rate schools,' MUCOM fits this.

I interviewed there and could not have been more impressed by this program. It's a really great school -- lookup their faculty -- and is a solid choice to throw an application to if you're looking for a newer school!

FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY?!?!?!?!

420 might be deceiving. There are 270 at the Kansas City campus and there will be 120 ish at the Joplin campus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think RVU-Ivins branch(will open fall 2017) will do really well given that the mothership in Parker has a solid curriculum and great results.

However, California Health Sciences University is a sham of university and is screwing over its pharmacy students by burying them in debt in a saturated market ---they should not be involved in creating a College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Last edited:
I interviewed for a Faculty position at MUCOM when they were getting off the ground and was highly impressed by them. They knew what they were doing.

And something to think about -- Marian University opened recently (2013).

Number of applicants remained nearly constant across years 2019 and 2020, and average GPA and MCATs also remained nearly constant across those 2 years. This means that you can expect MUCOM to have similar a similar acceptance rate next year.

There were 4.4k applicants, ~500 interviews, ~380 offers for 160 matriculants. For medical school, if you're asking this question to figure out 'high acceptance rate schools,' MUCOM fits this.

I interviewed there and could not have been more impressed by this program. It's a really great school -- lookup their faculty -- and is a solid choice to throw an application to if you're looking for a newer school!

Reactions: 2 users
Neither of the two CA schools will open. The president of the California Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons lobbied against both projects in the last COCA meeting.

Reactions: 3 users

Two campuses. The thing about Joplin though is that they have the resources to expand, all of the Joplin students will be rotating in Joplin, and Freeman health has a number of residency programs most likely giving better research access to the Joplin students than the KC ones.

I think RVU-Ivins branch(will open fall 2017) will do really well given that the mothership in Parker has a solid curriculum and great results.

However, California Health Sciences University is a sham of university and is screwing over its pharmacy students by burying them in debt in a saturated market ---they should not be involved in creating a College of Osteopathic Medicine.

As a Utah resident I'm still not sure how I feel about RVU-Ivins. I'm not sure where they will rotate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the WI school will actually open? I feel like they've been talking about it for at least 7-8 years already.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The Kansas City campus has 270 spots. The Joplin campus has 120 spots. Schools are allowed to deviate by a certain amount of the population that they are accredited for. A school I interviewed for said class n accredited = 150, they could fill up to 162 seats because of the 'deviation' they were allowed... That means a +8% deviation... One can assume that incentives to fill a school will cause them to take advantage of that... 120*1.08= 129... 129+270=400, so I guess i was off by 5%, but yeah -- big class size. And that's assuming that this allowance is a fixed value/whatever but still, KCU has big classes.

Just interviewed there -- it's a fantastic school.

Two campuses. The thing about Joplin though is that they have the resources to expand, all of the Joplin students will be rotating in Joplin, and Freeman health has a number of residency programs most likely giving better research access to the Joplin students than the KC ones.

As a Utah resident I'm still not sure how I feel about RVU-Ivins. I'm not sure where they will rotate.
From what I can remember on interview day(a while ago) for RVU they told us that they would share all RVU resources together(Parker+Ivins) alongside clinical rotations-- so those in Parker could rotate through the Ivins branch sites and vice versa-- but Ivins seems to have enough sites in primarily southern Utah with some other rotation sites in places nearby like Mesquite, NV down in Clark County-- the branch dean of RVU-Ivins is also the former dean of Touro-NV and he actually works in the major hospital down there in Mesquite.

Btw, your state is amazing-- literally paradise. Im not fond of big cities so going to visit southern Utah was a blessing-- you could spend the entire day at Zion National.

Btw, your state is amazing-- literally paradise. Im not fond of big cities so going to visit southern Utah was a blessing-- you could spend the entire day at Zion National.

I definitely agree with this here. As an outdoorsman the variety is awesome, you have the national parks and red rock in the south and the Rocky Mountains in the north.

Heavens knows we need another med school with the U having the weirdest admissions practices for a state school, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm curious as to how many residencies they will open, because currently the only programs not affiliated with the U are basically just 2 small FM programs.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro isn't it risky to apply to new schools. The quality of education is unknown, and there are always kinks to work out that may severely impact the students. That is my one fear about applying. I know begged can't be choosers but how do I know I'm making a good investment if let's say I only get accepted by newer schools (less than 10 years old).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I only get accepted by newer schools (less than 10 years old

First, there is a big difference between a school that has graduated a class or two and a brand new one
Second, if it's your only acceptance it really doesn't matter, because that's where you are going. Just work hard and you will become a doc, maybe you won't get the most glamorous residency but you will get a spot.

Reactions: 5 users
First, there is a big difference between a school that has graduated a class or two and a brand new one
Second, if it's your only acceptance it really doesn't matter, because that's where you are going. Just work hard and you will become a doc, maybe you won't get the most glamorous residency but you will get a spot.
Hey thanks for the reply, I freak out because my hometown is a big college town. And at my hospital we get students from a particular school with a new program that has severely screwed over their kids. People waiting years for rotations to open up and it's very chaotic for them. I even had a recent student from california who couldn't find ANY open rotation slots and he had to come to the east coast! For 1 rotation so he could graduate. I just didn't know if there was a general consensus on new schools or not. But you're right I guess. The best med school is the one that accepts me lol

Jeeze, I just answered this same question to someone on PM.

New schools are riskier, or rather, more challenging, because of the things you mention below. Also, you're an unknown quantity, while, say, PCOM or Nova grads are a solid known. Medical schools serve as feeders to residencies exactly like UG schools serve as feeders to med schools!

In the end, do the best you can, do well on Boards and rotations, and you will still be a doctor. Will you be an orthopod? That will be hard? FM, Peds, PM&R, Path, etc? Much easier. And chances for a residency will be better at a site that already has taken grads from your school, unless your in the pioneering class.

@Goro isn't it risky to apply to new schools. The quality of education is unknown, and there are always kinks to work out that may severely impact the students. That is my one fear about applying. I know begged can't be choosers but how do I know I'm making a good investment if let's say I only get accepted by newer schools (less than 10 years old).

Reactions: 3 users

My prediction:

Idaho, Wisconsin, and Minnesota fizzle out and become nothing.

I don't think William Carey will happen, at least not for MANY years.

PCOM is 50/50.

LECOM Elmira will (ugh) probably happen.

My prediction:

Idaho, Wisconsin, and Minnesota fizzle out and become nothing.

I don't think William Carey will happen, at least not for MANY years.

PCOM is 50/50.

LECOM Elmira will (ugh) probably happen.
Idaho is already building their campus. The DO I shadowed is friends with the new dean of that school and he said that it's a done deal for 2018.

LECOM Elmira was supposed to start this year...not sure of its stance now

Idaho is already building their campus. The DO I shadowed is friends with the new dean of that school and he said that it's a done deal for 2018.

I thought they were rejected because of the profound lack of anything resembling clinical rotation spots?

I thought they were rejected because of the profound lack of anything resembling clinical rotation spots?

No I don't think the school was rejected, the hospital was rejected by the ACGME as an accrediting institution. So yep nothing resembling clinical rotations but the school is full steam ahead. It's ok though, I'm sure there will be great clinical experiences to be had at the local family medicine clinics and outpatient surgery centers.... :rolleyes:

No I don't think the school was rejected, the hospital was rejected by the ACGME as an accrediting institution. So yep nothing resembling clinical rotations but the school is full steam ahead. It's ok though, I'm sure there will be great clinical experiences to be had at the local family medicine clinics and outpatient surgery centers.... :rolleyes:
I have a 3.1 cGPA. I would go to that school tomorrow if they gave me an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a 3.1 cGPA. I would go to that school tomorrow if they gave me an acceptance.

Same boat as me then.

How will we know if a school will open in time for the upcoming app cycle? Will there be an announcement or will it kind of just show up on the AACOMAS app?

Same boat as me then.

How will we know if a school will open in time for the upcoming app cycle? Will there be an announcement or will it kind of just show up on the AACOMAS app?
I think when primaries open in May is when the list of DO schools is announced. I think that is the only time that a school is added/removed from that list.

I think when primaries open in May is when the list of DO schools is announced. I think that is the only time that a school is added/removed from that list.

No they can appear any time during the cycle. When they get preliminary accred they will be listed

No they can appear any time during the cycle. When they get preliminary accred they will be listed
I meant when they will be labeled as an official accredited DO school. Schools can go on the "applying for accreditation" list anytime but they aren't granted accreditation until May. I've asked this question before and every response said you won't know which new schools are open for that cycle until May.

LECOM's Elmira campus is in flux right now because of the Bradenton situation. It looks like about 17-20% of their current class may not graduate due to failing COMLEX-II TWICE. Lots of leadership changes, etc.
There was also some talk about selling LECOM's Bradenton DO and DDS program to USF in Tampa. There is almost no more room for rotations in the entire state of Florida as LECOM's two largest clinical partners (Orlando Health and Largo) dropped them last year. So the Feretti family is trying to figure out what they are going to do with Bradenton before moving up it seems but I have no doubt Elmira will open next year, despite their being 2 other large medical schools within a 1.5 hour drive distance.

Reactions: 1 users
I meant when they will be labeled as an official accredited DO school. Schools can go on the "applying for accreditation" list anytime but they aren't granted accreditation until May. I've asked this question before and every response said you won't know which new schools are open for that cycle until May.

Ah yes I misunderstood. After May though schools can still continue to receive preliminary accred, and when they do they will show up on AACOMAS be it in June or something like October.

LECOM's Elmira campus is in flux right now because of the Bradenton situation. It looks like about 17-20% of their current class may not graduate due to failing COMLEX-II TWICE. Lots of leadership changes, etc.
There was also some talk about selling LECOM's Bradenton DO and DDS program to USF in Tampa. There is almost no more room for rotations in the entire state of Florida as LECOM's two largest clinical partners (Orlando Health and Largo) dropped them last year. So the Feretti family is trying to figure out what they are going to do with Bradenton before moving up it seems but I have no doubt Elmira will open next year, despite their being 2 other large medical schools within a 1.5 hour drive distance.
Well I guess that kind of sucks for Florida residence like myself. I figured Nova and LECOM B were my two chances to get in.

I loved the clown paintings on the second floor

Last edited:
Make sure you do your research before applying to new, unaccredited DO schools.

There's no such thing as "unaccredited DO school" in the U.S. An "unaccredited school" wouldn't be allowed to recruit students by any means, but yeah by all means do your own research and decide what's good for yourself.

Pull that straight from COCA's accreditation handbook:

Before being fully accredited a school must pass through pre-accreditation then provisional accreditation statuses (very different from "unaccredited").

-Pre-accreditation Status
Pre-accreditation status is the second step in seeking accreditation by an applicant COM and is
conferred with the privilege of recognition by the COCA, which will be publicly announced. Pre-
accreditation status may be granted to COMs that demonstrate the planning and resources necessary
to be expected to be able to proceed to Provisional accreditation within five (5) years.

-Provisional Accreditation Status
Provisional accreditation status may be granted to COMs who have achieved Pre-accreditation status
and meet the standards of accreditation. In order to assure adequate self-study, timely consideration
of information, and provide for faculty and administration development, an institution seeking
COCA Provisional Accreditation must conform to these provisions. The COCA may not waive
compliance with these procedures.
In order for the COCA to grant Provisional accreditation status to the new COM holding Pre-
accreditation status, the new COM will demonstrate that it meets, or will meet at the date proposed
for the beginning of its educational program, the accreditation standards as described in Chapter I.
Additionally, a COM must demonstrate the following prior to being granted Provisional
accreditation status:
1. Faculty must be hired consistent with the initial hiring plan and pro forma submitted to the
COCA.
2. The first and second year curricula must be fully developed.
3. Clinical affiliation agreements sufficient to meet the needs of the curriculum and the students
must be signed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

New school was given the go ahead this week. VCOM is breaking ground on a campus at the University of Louisiana in Monroe, LA. They expect the have the inaugural class start in fall 2020.

I can't think of a worse location honestly, in regards to proximity to major university hospitals and the other major hospital system, Ochsner. 2+ hours away. I'm also just baffled as to why a state with 3 operating med schools is looking to fund a 4th when Louisiana is already in dire straights with its healthcare budget.

I'm also just baffled as to why a state with 3 operating med schools is looking to fund a 4th when Louisiana is already in dire straights with its healthcare budget.

Because they won’t be funding it. It will be a private school

I live in Louisiana and would consider going to WCU in Lake Charles once it opens.

How risky is it going to a new medical school?

New school was given the go ahead this week. VCOM is breaking ground on a campus at the University of Louisiana in Monroe, LA. They expect the have the inaugural class start in fall 2020.

I can't think of a worse location honestly, in regards to proximity to major university hospitals and the other major hospital system, Ochsner. 2+ hours away. I'm also just baffled as to why a state with 3 operating med schools is looking to fund a 4th when Louisiana is already in dire straights with its healthcare budget.

University Health Conway in Monroe is one of LSU-S's residency and 3rd/4th year clinical rotation sites, especially for FM. I don't know how they would manage to fit more students in there though...the place is already a clinical site for scrub techs, nurses, respiratory therapy students, and medical students and residents.

Monroe does have other hospitals though, so maybe the new school will contract for clinical sites with them.