new dental school being built

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At western in Chino Hills, CA area. My uncle is a 3rd year medical student and he also says there is a podiatry school and others being built.

I think people are trying to compensate for the baby boomer retirement starting in the next couple of years spanning over the next decade??? (next 2-10 years)

Members don't see this ad.

1992Corolla said:
At western in Chino Hills, CA area. My uncle is a 3rd year medical student and he also says there is a podiatry school and others being built.

I think people are trying to compensate for the baby boomer retirement starting in the next couple of years spanning over the next decade??? (next 2-10 years)

I dont think many will open, bc what will happen once the baby boomers generation "moves on". Then there will be a surplus. I cant wait for that to happen with pharmacy.

But wow, only a couple decades ago, schools were closings. \

Whats the school called?

don't know, but it is part of Western, so Western Dental or something. Again this is word of mouth from him and he is a student there...so...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
This is news to me. Could you get a link or an article on the subject?

I'll call him and see if he has some news or something to pass on. He says it is under construction though. It is the DO school btw. I'll check it out.

I called the school itself and they sent me to a secretary of academic affairs. She said the school is awaiting to become accredited amongst other things. She was hesitant to go into details and took my name and number and is going to have Dr. Cohen (sp?) call me back about any questions. She wouldn't answer my question on whether or not the building was being built at the present time even though my uncle has seen it with his very own eyes.
Who knows though, Hawaii was a whisker away last year...

hrm, sounds like Western University, currently an oseopathic med school... they've also been planning an optometry school which many OD's, especially in CA, are not too happy about!

The ADA doesn't list any advances in accreditation (or steps to accreditation) for this school, so as of now it's only a pipe dream.

Once it applies for a site visit from the ADA for accreditation to move forward with plans to accept applications, then it's closer to becoming a reality.

1992Corolla said:

Although many of you may have heard I just thought that I would fill in those who don't. Midwestern University in Glendale AZ will be starting a dental school. I believe the first class will start fall of 2008.

benfolds23 said:
http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=1900

"Midwestern University is preparing its dental accreditation process now and hopes to matriculate its first class of 100 students in 2008."

I just checked to see if it would screw up those of us starting at ASDOH who could be competing for patients. Answer: Not yet

I spoke with one of the profs at MW and he mentioned that they were also building a clinic (medical, podiatry, and supposedly dental). I have seen the clinic currently in progress and if this will also serve as a dental facility then I don't think asdoh will have issues. I know the med students can rotate with preceptors in private practices and I would imagine that the dental program will work out a similar situation with local dentists. To sum it all up I feel that there will be plenty of work to go around. Phoenix/metro recently surpassed Philly's population and how many dental programs are in PA? We will only have 2 schools.

benfolds23 said:
http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=1900

"Midwestern University is preparing its dental accreditation process now and hopes to matriculate its first class of 100 students in 2008."

I just checked to see if it would screw up those of us starting at ASDOH who could be competing for patients. Answer: Not yet

IMO, The new dental school at Midwestern will never really affect ASDOH's patient base because Midwestern is 30-45 minutes away from Mesa. You'll always have plenty of patients at ASDOH.

Being another private school, I would assume that many of their students will also be out of staters looking to leave Phoenix's summer sun (115 this weekend) upon graduation. Some local dentists make a big stink about how the two schools are going to flood the market for dentists but the state legislature has already superceded that problem by enacting licensure by credential. Way more dentists move to AZ by credential than will ever graduate and stay from the state's two dental schools.

azcomRob said:
I spoke with one of the profs at MW and he mentioned that they were also building a clinic (medical, podiatry, and supposedly dental). I have seen the clinic currently in progress and if this will also serve as a dental facility then I don't think asdoh will have issues. I know the med students can rotate with preceptors in private practices and I would imagine that the dental program will work out a similar situation with local dentists. To sum it all up I feel that there will be plenty of work to go around. Phoenix/metro recently surpassed Philly's population and how many dental programs are in PA? We will only have 2 schools.

What are you thinking? Never gonna happen!

Also Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine is in the the works for building a new Dental school. They said that the first class should start matriculating in the Fall of 2009.

azcomRob said:
Although many of you may have heard I just thought that I would fill in those who don't. Midwestern University in Glendale AZ will be starting a dental school. I believe the first class will start fall of 2008.

I wonder what tuition will be....I betting on 50 k plus instruments, living costs, books and supplies.