NEW DO residency in Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of 2006, there will be a new osteopathic emergency medicine residency in Oklahoma City, at St. Anthony Hospital.

Oklahoma now has 3 emergency medicine residencies, and all of them are osteopathic. OSU osteopathic graduates have 4 residencies to choose from, yet OU allopathic graduates have to go more than a few hours away to even apply.

Oklahoma EM osteopathic residencies:

-Integris Southwest, Oklahoma City
-St. Anthony, Oklahoma City
-Tulsa Regional Medical Center, Tulsa

and an osteopathic residency nearby just inside the Missouri border:

-Freeman, Joplin
-------------------------------------
Any thoughts?

I've been very impressed with Integris, and plan to make it my first choice (barring a combined match.) I was less than impressed with Tulsa, and I don't plan to rank them.

Although I'm happy that I don't have to compete with OU graduates for these residencies (they are very biased towards people from nearby medical schools), this makes my possible decision of skipping the AOA match for Texas ACGME residencies more difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't make alot of sense to me.

The Integris program is essentially the remnant of the old Hillcrest program, both of which were headed by Dale Askins and his Morningstar group. Isn't St. Anthony's also one of the hospitals staffed by Morningstar? Where is the need for two seperate EM residencies in OKC, both most likely under the umbrella of the same group of EM physicians? Isn't the Integris program also linked at least in name with the OSU DO school? Would the St. Anthony's program have the same link?

I think it is just a matter of time until the powers that be at the allopathic program at OU pulls their collective heads out of their asses and commits to an allopathic academic EM program at OU. Considering they are the regional trauma center with all major academic services represented through residency and fellowship training programs, it only makes sense that EM would soon be included again. May bring up some interesting conflicts of interest considering that Morningstar staffs their EDs as well.

edinOH said:
That doesn't make alot of sense to me.

The Integris program is essentially the remnant of the old Hillcrest program, both of which were headed by Dale Askins and his Morningstar group. Isn't St. Anthony's also one of the hospitals staffed by Morningstar? Where is the need for two seperate EM residencies in OKC, both most likely under the umbrella of the same group of EM physicians? Isn't the Integris program also linked at least in name with the OSU DO school? Would the St. Anthony's program have the same link?

I think it is just a matter of time until the powers that be at the allopathic program at OU pulls their collective heads out of their asses and commits to an allopathic academic EM program at OU. Considering they are the regional trauma center with all major academic services represented through residency and fellowship training programs, it only makes sense that EM would soon be included again. May bring up some interesting conflicts of interest considering that Morningstar staffs their EDs as well.

Yes, it will be Morningstar staffing both programs.

You'll find that Morningstar (a prominently DO group) staffs OU's Trauma Center as well.

According to the executive director of Oklahoma ACEP, he was pushing for an allopathic instead of osteopathic residency in Oklahoma City, but OU seemed to be more concerned with internal medicine instead of emergency medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
edinOH, love that name. Reminds me of a band I listened to long ago.

even stranger, OU is talking about starting a residency in Tulsa (talking about it...again...). However, the program would be through St. John's and Hillcrest, not St. Francis. Presently, OU surgery runs the trauma at St. John's, and the SFH experience is probably more in line with an EM residency. However, St. Francis apparently doesnt like residencies ($). So the logical thing would seem to be a new residency in OKC. And as an OSU DO grad, I would like to chip in that everything I hear about the current program in OKC is positive, and they have a great bunch of residents.

Morningstar physicians do staff the trauma center but that doesn't make them trauma doctors. In fact, all of the traumas I've been present for weren't even touched by the Morningstar docs, instead, it was the trauma team who handled it which is led by MD's. No offense, but I wouldn't call the Morningstar docs "prominent". They do staff a lot of ER's because their group works for cheaper than everyone else so they are able to outbid other EM groups for jobs. It doesn't mean they are great, it just means they are cheaper.

I seriously doubt OU is going to start an EM residency anytime soon. At least that's what I've heard.

Jalopycat said:
Morningstar physicians do staff the trauma center but that doesn't make them trauma doctors. In fact, all of the traumas I've been present for weren't even touched by the Morningstar docs, instead, it was the trauma team who handled it which is led by MD's. No offense, but I wouldn't call the Morningstar docs "prominent". They do staff a lot of ER's because their group works for cheaper than everyone else so they are able to outbid other EM groups for jobs. It doesn't mean they are great, it just means they are cheaper.

I seriously doubt OU is going to start an EM residency anytime soon. At least that's what I've heard.

It should be said that only 5 out of the total 18 physicians on staff at OU medical center's emergency department are MD's.

Oops. My bad. Someone mentioned above that Morninstar is prominently DOs. I misread it as a prominent DO group.

Guess I'm tired....

I didn't realize that OU grads have to go out of state to do an EM residency. I just took a tour of OSU-CHS today, and was very impressed. (But I guess that is the goal?)

Do you get to do any time, either as MS 3 or 4 or in any of the OKC EM res's, at University? In terms of sheer volume and the more emergent types of patients that they receive it seems like you could gain a lot from working there.

Also, maybe this is misplaced, but how do you go about receiving licensure in other states? If you go to MS in Tulsa, do an EM residency in OKC, but don't want to live here forever, do you just have to take board exams for that state? How's that work?

The boards are good nationwide. You will have to apply for a license in whatever states you wish to practice in, but that is not an exam issue.

If you go to OSU-COM you can do your required EM rotation at one of the OKC programs.