new dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irvbosoff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a bit of a random question:

What are your opinions on getting a new pup before dental school?

Do you think that the first couple years of school are conducive to raising a dog?

I've been dying to get a new dog for a while now, and i was just wondering your opinions...

Members don't see this ad.

hey great question..i want to know too..i would imagine its easier to get a breed that doesnt require alot of attention

I was thinking about getting a dog or kitten right now as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cats don't need much attention...dogs to tho

It depends, if you study at home, it wouldn't be much of a problem. You get the pup at the beginning of summer, train it throughout the summer, it should be ready to spend the 5-8 hours a day at home alone while your at class. If you like to study at the library though, and spend 12+ hours a day at school, then having a dog could cause problems

hey great question..i want to know too..i would imagine its easier to get a breed that doesnt require alot of attention

Yeah me too. But what breed doesn't require much attention?? I have this dog encyclopedia (no idea why I have this...) that actually has a list of dogs that are more independent. Many people have told me a pug is the way to go since they tend to play with themselves and be happy. I can't imagine owning a pug so that's out of the question for me.
Many websites say to adopt an adult dog that is already housebroken, mainly because puppies (and younger dogs in general) require attention and you would be saving a dogs life...

get a cute little russian peterbald cat --> it's hairless!!!!:love::love::love:

Yeah me too. But what breed doesn't require much attention?? I have this dog encyclopedia (no idea why I have this...) that actually has a list of dogs that are more independent. Many people have told me a pug is the way to go since they tend to play with themselves and be happy. I can't imagine owning a pug so that's out of the question for me.
Many websites say to adopt an adult dog that is already housebroken, mainly because puppies (and younger dogs in general) require attention and you would be saving a dogs life...

my parents have a borzoi and it is very chill and relaxed, except its like one of the biggest dogs ever. also pugs you wouldnt have to walk because theyre small enough no?

my parents have a borzoi and it is very chill and relaxed, except its like one of the biggest dogs ever. also pugs you wouldnt have to walk because theyre small enough no?

I have two pugs and they're wonderful. They do need a short walk in the morning and a longer walk at night, but I don't think I spend more than an hour a day taking care of them. They don't eat very much, and sleep curled up in the bed with me. The only downside to pugs is that they shed all year long.

I've been planning on doing the same thing. My parents never let me have a dog and always said 'you can get a dog when you're older" but I don't want to wait 4 more years.

My roommate now has a pug and although I love it, I don't think I would want to own one myself. They snore loudly and shed a lot.

Also I wonder what the policy is on school housing about pets. It would suck if we get one and find out the school we go to doesn't allow them. I know not everyone is taking school housing though. Also I wonder how it would affect getting a roommate having a pet. I bet most D-students don't want a roommate that will provide distractions at home.

My boyfriend and I have been living together and we've had a golden retriever for almost 2 years now...she is absolutely adorable and well-behaved and I love her to death, but honestly wish I would have listened to everyone and waited until my living situation was a little more permanent. A dog will limit your living options- a LOT...there are so many nice places I have to pass on because they don't allow pets...and especially if you end up in one of the bigger cities where the cost of living is so high, your space will be limited. Plus, there's the fact of having your poor puppy alone all day...I still feel guilty when I'm on campus for a few hours while she's bored at home. I love her and would never give her up, but I honestly think a cat (not a kitten) is better suited for dschool lifestyle- no training involved, no having to walk it, and cats are pretty independent anyway. Whatever you decide, good luck, and think it through. :)

Oh and I cannot forget the awful amount of SHEDDING...I have to keep a lint roller in my purse because literally EVERYTHING I own is covered in doggy hair. Don't get a fluffy dog/cat!

Members don't see this ad :)
How funny I see this thread today...because I just got my new golden retriever puppy about 5 hours ago!! I am graduating a semester early and will have at least 8 months off school to spend with a puppy before the hard stuff comes. Living situations in some cities will be hard, but some, like Colorado, are very dog friendly. I didn't want to wait 4 more years so I went ahead and did it, knowing I would have time to train him. :D

hahaha, yeah I'm thinking of getting a dog as well! Probably one that's from a pound and at least 2 years old plus trained :laugh:

Hey all,

I was just on here looking up some info for a friend, and I came across this thread. Just wanted to throw it out there that dogs from shelters and rescues are a wonderful option and because they have dogs of all different ages, many times they are already trained/housebroken. I too cannot wait to get a dog once I start grad school. All of my family's dogs have been from shelters and they are very well behaved and can be left alone for a while without problems. I have tons of experience with pets and would not recommend a puppy to anyone in grad school unless you get him early and have lots of time to train it. Puppies require a ton of attention and are so full of energy. Just my two cents :)

Im gonna get a persian cat and have it shaved like a lion :) that bad boy is gonna be sick :)

I have an 8 month old yellow lab and he requires alot of attention.. I have crate trained him because he will chew things he is not supposed to.. I have to come home from work everyday at lunch to let him out which I don't mind... Most books say to not leave any dog in a crate for more than 6 hours except at night.. It can effect their development and their bone strength. If you live near school and feel comfortable going home EVERYDAY (which is unlikely due to school related activities) a puppy may not be the best idea. You will feel so guilty when you leave it in the crate for a long time and if that is everyday then it may not work.. Cats are easy, just leave water and a litter box... My girlfriend will be able to take care of our dog when i am at school, so unless you are sure you can have it trained and can leave it free roam in the house I wouldnt encourage it until you have an Idea of what YOUR life will be like at school. I love animals and encourage getting one, just make sure you can do the right thing for it.

I got a puppy about 6 months ago, shes a year old now, and shes ALOT of work! But I say, if you have the dedication, get a dog, maybe a bit of an older one from a shelter who needs a home and doesn't come with the hastle and time requirement a puppy does. There isn't anything like having a wagging tail to come home to, I will probably be looking for a roommate with a dog so I don't have to worry about her being lonely when I'm at school. I say, do it!

O and mutts generally tend to have better health and temperments, so don't rule them out! :) :)

Wohoo you guys all rock, you've given me argument fodder. :p My boyfriend will be moving with me to dental school and I want to get a dog and he says it would be too much of a distraction for me from d-school. I've grown up with dogs, I have an 11 year old mutt now but he'll be staying with my parents when I leave, and I can't imagine not living with a dog. Muahaha. Time to argue my case. I plan on adopting a non-shedding type purebred or mutt from a rescue ... the dogs I've had have either been mixed with shih-tzu or lhasa apso so have been nonshedding. I'm already going to need a pet friendly apartment because I have a rabbit, a few lizards, and a parrot to take along.

typical day for a dental student:

630am wake up
8am first class
12pm lunch
1pm class
530pm finish class

530-10pm study, dinner, gym?, maybe watch some TV.

you guys really think its fair to an animal to put them into that schedule? Dogs like to be locked up from 730am till 6pm? They are going to get by with the 45 minutes of attention you can spare (often you'll have no time)?

Not to mention when you have a big wax up or project due, you'll be on campus till well after 8pm.

Is that fair to a pet?

Please be honest with yourselves. If you need a pet, get a cat.

630am wake up
8am first class
12pm lunch
1pm class
530pm finish class

you guys really think its fair to an animal to put them into that schedule? Dogs like to be locked up from 730am till 6pm? They are going to get by with the 45 minutes of attention you can spare (often you'll have no time)?

Not to mention when you have a big wax up or project due, you'll be on campus till well after 8pm.

Is that fair to a pet?

Is that really any different from a dog being locked up when its owner is at his/her 9-5 job?

Solution: Get two dogs to keep each other company :) I always feel guilty leaving a doggie alone

make sure to listen to some dental school students instead of pre-dents, since the lifestyle of dschool will be very different from regular college life you should get more information about your daily routine and etc.

630am wake up
8am first class
12pm lunch
1pm class
530pm finish class

Is that fair to a pet?

thx for the head's up

i lovelovelove cats, but i'm not letting myself get one yet. as a first year, i don't think i have the time for one. when you're picking out a pet (or at least this is my experience with cats), it's hard to tell if it's going to be lazy or playful or whatever. the cat i grew up with was super lazy and liked being near people but didn't want to play or anything; she would have been perfect to have as a student, but sadly she passed away last year. my sister got a cat while she was in med school, and it was great but LOVED to play, so she finally realized she had to give him away to someone who would be able to spend a little time each day playing with it.

also, with my cat, it had hyperthyroid the last few months she was alive, so she had to have daily medicine (rubbed in her ear. . .kind of gross, but i loved her). fortunately, my mom paid for it, but as a student, i wouldn't be able to deal with any surprise vet bills and such.

630am wake up
8am first class
12pm lunch
1pm class
530pm finish class

Is that fair to a pet?

I agree. plz! don't get any pet cuz' u will have a lot of troubles in finding a place to live..and schools make u work and be tired all the time. I think the best idea is not getting anything. ..wait until u get into dental schools and see how your life is, then you can decide to get one. By then, it's not too late

im planning adopt a new chick. is that possible

It was hard for me to take care of 2 dogs while being an undergrad student....and I imagine dental school will be more time consuming (according to dental students). Unless you are going to have somebody else to take care of your dog, you should reconsider. It def. isn't fair for poor pets to stay at home by themselves....and believe me, as an animal trainer, your dogs will show his unhappy emotions by terrorizing your house. Do the right thing!

As an undergrad I had a min pin and my ex trained him. We left him home in his crate for quite a long time while we went to school and work. He was always EXTRA EXCITED to see us come home. We had most of spring and winter to train him. Winter brought snow so we were happy to have him house trained by then. We ended up being able to leave him out of his crate for the day and he wouldn't cause any problems.

It was nice to have the dog because you can always take a study break and take them for a walk and see outside of your apt/house and experience more than books.