Dr_Feelgood

Guest
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2006
2,716
4
Iowa
Status
Podiatry Student
I'm not sure how many of you saw that they are attempting to open the borders to international medications, but I wanted to get a little debate going on the topic.

My opinion:
I think that if we are really looking to control health care costs that we need to start in the pharmacy. I saw a report on Fox News that said pharmaceuticals have increased about 250% in the last decade. So what can be done about it. I know that they have already decreased "physician perks" which I am bummed about :D but I understand. The newest thought is to get Canadian and Mexican prescription imports. But does that help? I don't think so. My thought is we need to put an end to prescription advertisement. I've only been in the clinic a month and I'm tired of people coming in and discussing drug brands and how they think that those drugs will help. If we cut the advertising budgets and turned that money into cheaper drugs, we keep the money in the US, we get lower health care costs and we don't have to hear about ED when we are sitting by our 8 year old son trying to watch a baseball game.

So SDNers what are your thoughts and ideas on the topic?
 

Haffadoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
83
0
Status
Medical Student
Dr_Feelgood said:
I'm not sure how many of you saw that they are attempting to open the borders to international medications, but I wanted to get a little debate going on the topic.

My opinion:
I think that if we are really looking to control health care costs that we need to start in the pharmacy. I saw a report on Fox News that said pharmaceuticals have increased about 250% in the last decade. So what can be done about it. I know that they have already decreased "physician perks" which I am bummed about :D but I understand. The newest thought is to get Canadian and Mexican prescription imports. But does that help? I don't think so. My thought is we need to put an end to prescription advertisement. I've only been in the clinic a month and I'm tired of people coming in and discussing drug brands and how they think that those drugs will help. If we cut the advertising budgets and turned that money into cheaper drugs, we keep the money in the US, we get lower health care costs and we don't have to hear about ED when we are sitting by our 8 year old son trying to watch a baseball game.

So SDNers what are your thoughts and ideas on the topic?

I really think that the reason that drugs cost so much is the same reason that gas prices are $3 a gallon, because they can!!! There is really no one that is going to stop pharmaceuticals from charging what they do for medication. Have you ever seen the cost of cancer drugs? It is ridiculous. It is proven by the fact that Magic Johnson has tons of cash and can somehow live like a totally normal person with HIV and most people die pretty quickly because they can not pay for the drugs. Until there are sanctions over these monopolizers we really can not do anything. I wish that advertisement would be enough but come on Feelgood are you really willing giving up the Psizer girls.
 
OP
Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood

Guest
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2006
2,716
4
Iowa
Status
Podiatry Student
On the Magic Johnson topic, his personal physician is also the guy who invented AZT.

You are right that we need some sort of control, but I can see the other side. Pharm is the only industry that if yo invent something you have 10 years to make the money and then your invention can be copied into generics. Also, if we limit the industry too much who will be willing to research the drugs???
 

Haffadoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
83
0
Status
Medical Student
Dr_Feelgood said:
On the Magic Johnson topic, his personal physician is also the guy who invented AZT.

You are right that we need some sort of control, but I can see the other side. Pharm is the only industry that if yo invent something you have 10 years to make the money and then your invention can be copied into generics. Also, if we limit the industry too much who will be willing to research the drugs???
That is so true that we need people to do the research and they deserve to get theirs but there becomes a time that "theirs" gets a little out of hand.
 
W

whiskers

I say leave the phram companies alone. Many of the pills that they have produced are for quality of life issues and not life threatening conditions. I mean how can one argue spending $500 on a purse or 50,000 on a vehicle or even $40 on a single meal, but then b*&ch about a few bucks for an allergy pill or a pill that reduces pain. People have lived with these ailments for near ages without any recourse.

I think that people would simply rather spend their money on entertainment rather than some pill.

But certainly there are exceptions with the poor and the infectious patients.
 

i.<3.pharmacy

Dumb like a Moose.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
107
0
33
Washington
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
whiskers said:
I say leave the phram companies alone. Many of the pills that they have produced are for quality of life issues and not life threatening conditions. I mean how can one argue spending $500 on a purse or 50,000 on a vehicle or even $40 on a single meal, but then b*&ch about a few bucks for an allergy pill or a pill that reduces pain. People have lived with these ailments for near ages without any recourse.

I think that people would simply rather spend their money on entertainment rather than some pill.

But certainly there are exceptions with the poor and the infectious patients.
:thumbup:

I have had a PT come in talking about her trip to Europe and then b*tch about her $5 copay. :rolleyes: