New Editions of Textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EBLoneStar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What classes/subjects would you think it would be worth it to have new editions of books/review books for, versus subjects where the older editions would be just as good?

I'm buying some books for MS1 now (before I spend all my money overseas this summer...) and I noticed there is a new edition of Rohen's anatomy out, released this year I think. But it's $20+ more than the edition from 2006 (4th edition?). Could the new edition really be that much different than the older one, or any better? It's not like anatomy is a rapidly evolving field...

And along those lines, I'm also considering buying Clinicial Micro Made Rediculously Simple, and Lippincott's biochem, and maybe BRS Pathology and Physio later on. Would it be worth it to pay more money to get the latest editions for any of those books, or would older ones be just fine?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I preface this by saying that you should NOT be buying books now- I think it's a lot better idea to borrow books from the library and get a feel for what you actually need instead of blowing your money on books that won't be useful later (my Cell Bio book is a good example of this).

The new edition of Rohen's probably won't be worth it over the 2006 edition, which is excellent (however, DON'T get the earlier edition- it's much much less complete). Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple- I think you could go either way, and although I did get the newer edition, I looked at the older edition, and there is really almost no difference. It would probably be worthwhile to get the newer edition of the boards books.

I also say you should wait to buy books- half of the books on the list will never be used and my list missed several books that I used (like BRS Anatomy and Clinical Micro...)...

I don't think you should worry about an older Edition of Rohen. I used the 2006 one this year and it was very good (though I used Netter's more).

I say wait (maybe pull out a couple hundred and put in an envelope) many schools have a big sib/little sib program and I was able to get some books from my big and then MSIII's and MSIV's will also sell books sometimes by email for much cheaper than even amazon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sometimes ask my professors if they care if I use an earlier addition. I also buy all my books online. Never buy from the store, they are getting away with highway robbery.

I agree with what people have said. Hit or miss on new versus old for now but later when prepping for the USMLE I have been told its a definate that you should get the new editions.

I personally am going to invest in the new Rohen's because it is going to have MRI,XRAY,Endoscopy, etc to go along with the anantomy. WIll be usefull for not only anatomy but also as referrence for later. And I could be wrong but dont we take some minor course work in this stuff at some point.

I am getting it. Expansive though... oy

Wow, I have never even touched half of the so-called "required" texts. Ditto on the "wait for school to start" sentiment.

(The Rohens atlas is extremely nice, though.)

I guess I should clarify, I'm not actually trying to buy "required" books for any of my classes, as assigned by any professors, since I know those will often be a waste of money and time. My school pretty much exclusively uses syllabi anyway, and for other real "text books" I'll probably just use the copy in the library.

However what I am looking at buying are the "essential" books for each specific class at my school, as given in a guide written by upperclassmen for the incoming MS1's.

For instance, it is suggested to buy Rohen's and/or Netter's for anatomy, Lippincott's for biochem, and a handful of BRS books (physio, path, anatomy) and High yield review books to help put together all the information in the syllabi and for the practice questions while studying for the exams.

I was just curious if it was worth it for me to pay more for the newest edition of some of the books (such as Rohen's), and if buying any board review books now for the practice questions and for help with studying for exams means that I'm taking a risk the books will be outdated (and more or less useless) when it comes time to start studying for Step 1. Or does the info not change too much from year to year so that it won't really matter if I don't have the newest edition?

I guess I should clarify, I'm not actually trying to buy "required" books for any of my classes, as assigned by any professors, since I know those will often be a waste of money and time. My school pretty much exclusively uses syllabi anyway, and for other real "text books" I'll probably just use the copy in the library.

However what I am looking at buying are the "essential" books for each specific class at my school, as given in a guide written by upperclassmen for the incoming MS1's.

For instance, it is suggested to buy Rohen's and/or Netter's for anatomy, Lippincott's for biochem, and a handful of BRS books (physio, path, anatomy) and High yield review books to help put together all the information in the syllabi and for the practice questions while studying for the exams.

I was just curious if it was worth it for me to pay more for the newest edition of some of the books (such as Rohen's), and if buying any board review books now for the practice questions and for help with studying for exams means that I'm taking a risk the books will be outdated (and more or less useless) when it comes time to start studying for Step 1. Or does the info not change too much from year to year so that it won't really matter if I don't have the newest edition?

Generally, there isn't a whole lot of change in those books from year-to-year, though I do like the new Rohens over the previous edition. Also, I would score a Thieme atlas as well, as it has some very (very) nice diagrams of vascularization.:thumbup:

I have actually been doing a lot of diggin on this exact topic myself. I have decided, like yourself, to have board review books during the first two years (not a concensus on doing that btw but I am sold on it because two of my friends did just this and one got a 260 and the other above a 240).

I need to clarify something for you. Asking if you should buy the new editions NOW for med school is one question. A good question. Asking if it will be outdated later for board review is another question all together. Of which the answer seems to be DEFINATELY more people thinkg you should get the new editions for the board review come time for USMLE. So whatever you buy now, new or old, I suggest getting new editions for board review come USMLE time. You are going to be freaking out if you at all neurotic come that time. Or so I have been told and told more then once.