New EM interest, what if you cant apply to 30 programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reedchick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new user of SDN so please bear with me.

I am a 4th year medical student, that will be starting an MBA in the fall, then will be returning in the spring to complete my 4th year of medical school in 08'. I have decided to pursue EM, but have a few questions about it.

I am married, and my husband has a job that he really likes, and for which there is hope of him getting promoted, in a specific area of PA. We would like to move to an area close to his job (as for the past 4 years he has been commuting 3 hours a day because I am in medical school here). So really, my options as far as residencies are very limited...limited to about 9 programs...4 which would be ideal, and 5 which are MD programs, and not as close to his work. (I will be a DO by the way). I think my board scores are relatively competitive, and my grades match, but lets face it...UPenn probably isnt going to be a taker here. That leaves me 8 programs.

1. How do I go about this? Is it even possible?
2. Do I apply for all the ER programs and rank them 1-8, the apply to fam med in same area and rank them 9+? Will applying for fam med hurt my EM chances?
3. Will having the MBA help me at all, or make me more competitive for a spot?
4. What do I need to do to insure that I get into one of my top 3? Just tell me...and I will do it. I have a year of this MBA, so will hopefully have extra time to go putz around different ER's if I need to..

What do you all think? Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I'm just an MS2 but I've spent a lot of time here so I'll say what I'm thinking.

1) 8 programs is risky, but not impossible. If some of them are DO programs that might make things easier, since it sounds like some of those tend to go unfilled even though there are great DO programs.
2) It seems that with the relative competitiveness of EM, having a "backup" plan might not be a bad thing, but part of that depends on whether you are interviewing at the same hospital for two different programs. I've read nightmare stories about people running into their other interviewers while there for a different field's interview. That would not be good.
3) The MBA is cool and would probably be helpful if you are interested in administration. If nothing else it is something else to talk about in interviews!!
4) I have no clue, but if you discover the secret to matching into one of your top 3, will you let me know?

Unfortunately, your situation isn't that uncommon... there's no way around the inconveniences of medical training... I had to deal with a similiar situation a couple times.

Unless relocating is absolutely not an option, you need to apply to that average of 30 programs... otherwise you risk not matching altogether... and not matching should not be taken lightly... That being said, if you are a strong candidate, many of the programs in PA are very reasonable.

My three thoughts are these:
1) Be frank (but obviously not expecting pity) on your interview day about your situation. Most programs will understand your situation. The programs that don't probably aren't worth your time. Programs like happy residents--if they know that you will be happy by living with your spouse, then that's a plus. It doesn't hurt to reiterate your interest and situation post-interview.
2) Apply to prelim medicine/transitional year programs as your backup. This will ensure that you will match in something and still leave the door open for EM rather than matching into an entirely different specialty.
3) Be industrious but calm. Things will work out one way or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would UPenn not be a taker? Do they have a anti-DO bias?

Reedchick said:
Hello all. I am a new user of SDN so please bear with me.

I am a 4th year medical student, that will be starting an MBA in the fall, then will be returning in the spring to complete my 4th year of medical school in 08'. I have decided to pursue EM, but have a few questions about it.

I am married, and my husband has a job that he really likes, and for which there is hope of him getting promoted, in a specific area of PA. We would like to move to an area close to his job (as for the past 4 years he has been commuting 3 hours a day because I am in medical school here). So really, my options as far as residencies are very limited...limited to about 9 programs...4 which would be ideal, and 5 which are MD programs, and not as close to his work. (I will be a DO by the way). I think my board scores are relatively competitive, and my grades match, but lets face it...UPenn probably isnt going to be a taker here. That leaves me 8 programs.

1. How do I go about this? Is it even possible?
2. Do I apply for all the ER programs and rank them 1-8, the apply to fam med in same area and rank them 9+? Will applying for fam med hurt my EM chances?
3. Will having the MBA help me at all, or make me more competitive for a spot?
4. What do I need to do to insure that I get into one of my top 3? Just tell me...and I will do it. I have a year of this MBA, so will hopefully have extra time to go putz around different ER's if I need to..

What do you all think? Thanks so much for your help.

Hard24Get said:
Why would UPenn not be a taker? Do they have a anti-DO bias?

No I certainly dont think UPenn is anti-DO at all, I have never heard that at least. I just dont think I am Ivy material. I picture ivy as picking the best of the best. My scores are competitive, butI doubt they are "Ivy League" competitive.

Reedchick said:
No I certainly dont think UPenn is anti-DO at all, I have never heard that at least. I just dont think I am Ivy material. I picture ivy as picking the best of the best. My scores are competitive, butI doubt they are "Ivy League" competitive.

I don't think the typical Ivy stereotype applies in EM, especially for Penn, which is a pretty young program. They might surprise you.

I think we are interested in applying to the same region (my hubby is in a similar situation). Are you planning to do an away rotation at one of these places? Is Christiana Care on your list? I think it would be better to have programs requiring a lengthy commute to get up to 15-20 programs rather than risk not matching...

Hard24Get said:
I don't think the typical Ivy stereotype applies in EM, especially for Penn, which is a pretty young program. They might surprise you.

I think we are interested in applying to the same region (my hubby is in a similar situation). Are you planning to do an away rotation at one of these places? Is Christiana Care on your list? I think it would be better to have programs requiring a lengthy commute to get up to 15-20 programs rather than risk not matching...

Yeah, its kinda scary isnt it? Are you applying this year or next? I am applying next year because of the MBA thing.

I have to see how it works out rotation-wise with scheduling, but I would assume to at least rotate at my #1, and poss #2 choices if I can. I hear that face time is so important.

I just actually looked up the delaware thing, but even that is still a far commute for my husband..not much better then we have now...so it is tough. I might apply anyways...because like you said, something is better then nothing....I actually have heard really good things about that hospital...and their FM/EM program sounds interesting.

Am I missing programs? Are there 15-20 here? I could only find 9 that were close...10 if you include christiana. DO you really think that about Penn? Maybe I will apply then, you never know.

Not sure where your husband is based but you could live somewhere in between his job and your residency. You can then add additional programs in NJ and maybe even NY depending on where he is. Also dont forget allentown area, like Lehigh Valley and St Lukes.

My $0.02: make a slightly larger circle on the map around your husbands job and apply to some extra programs. Yes someones commute may be longer then they like but its better then scrambling into a program in ohio.

arctic187 said:
Not sure where your husband is based but you could live somewhere in between his job and your residency. You can then add additional programs in NJ and maybe even NY depending on where he is. Also dont forget allentown area, like Lehigh Valley and St Lukes.

My $0.02: make a slightly larger circle on the map around your husbands job and apply to some extra programs. Yes someones commute may be longer then they like but its better then scrambling into a program in ohio.

dude. don't be a OH-hater... I went to med school there... :D

dlung said:
dude. don't be a OH-hater... I went to med school there... :D

my ex-roommate just moved out there for fellowship thats why ohio came to mind. He actually wanted to go out there to be with his wife who's been out there for the last year.

So it wasnt a direct dig on Ohio just a place further away she (from prev post) probably didnt want to go.....ok maybe it was a little bit directed at ohio....you have to admit its a very flat state ;) They do have some great rollercoasters tho!

Hey -

I am applying to everything reasonable, including programs in cities my SO can transfer to. You can always live in the middle and split the commute. This is not the time to risk one's career when we are so close. Check out www.saem.org for their residency catalog with a mapquest window open.

I go to Penn now, and the EM program seems super-chill. The PD held a session and insisted that, beyond the basic scores, it's all about personality. Also, check out the frequently asked questioned to see why Ivy league doesn't really matter in EM- in fact, Christiana Care is way more competitive than Penn.

I am applying next year, as well, because I took time off for a Ph.D. Uh, oh, that means I'm helping my direct competition! :smuggrin:

Reedchick said:
Yeah, its kinda scary isnt it? Are you applying this year or next? I am applying next year because of the MBA thing.

I have to see how it works out rotation-wise with scheduling, but I would assume to at least rotate at my #1, and poss #2 choices if I can. I hear that face time is so important.

I just actually looked up the delaware thing, but even that is still a far commute for my husband..not much better then we have now...so it is tough. I might apply anyways...because like you said, something is better then nothing....I actually have heard really good things about that hospital...and their FM/EM program sounds interesting.

Am I missing programs? Are there 15-20 here? I could only find 9 that were close...10 if you include christiana. DO you really think that about Penn? Maybe I will apply then, you never know.

Um....yeah Miss Penn MD/PhD....I don't think I'm the one you need to worry about for competition. Please dont apply to the D.O. programs and leave me a shot at something! :scared: I would have to have one kick ass personality or something to compete with that so don't worry about helping me silly...I highly doubt that little me :) will have any impact on your application process!!!

Thanks for the info though. I will try what you said and apply to all, maybe some extras in other areas. But really, as Im sure it is the same for you, if I get into a program in another area, I'm in trouble because my husband will be in the middle of schooling here/with his work paying for it only if he works 2 years after his last class and other craziness like that. We would take a big financial hit. And if everyone applying to EM programs has a CV like you, Im s$$t out of luck. I used to be ortho girl, but decided I wanted a better lifestyle...I thought EM would be less competitive than ortho, and figured I would be fine....but I dont know if that is true?!

good luck with everything and please keep in touch.

Hard24Get said:
Hey -

I am applying to everything reasonable, including programs in cities my SO can transfer to. You can always live in the middle and split the commute. This is not the time to risk one's career when we are so close. Check out www.saem.org for their residency catalog with a mapquest window open.

I go to Penn now, and the EM program seems super-chill. The PD held a session and insisted that, beyond the basic scores, it's all about personality. Also, check out the frequently asked questioned to see why Ivy league doesn't really matter in EM- in fact, Christiana Care is way more competitive than Penn.

I am applying next year, as well, because I took time off for a Ph.D. Uh, oh, that means I'm helping my direct competition! :smuggrin: