New Forum Style Sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the new forum style sucks arse...

And Clippy? Really, the forum needs Clippy? The infamous Microsoft "assistant" from the 1980's?

Ugh... I need a nitro and Xanax.

EDIT: Yep, definitely 4-1 joke. The "Rick Astley" references above were actually references to "Clippy" (C l i p p y - in case SDN auto changes it in quotes too). The infamous Microsoft assistant seems to be automatically changed to Rick Astley. "Never gonna give you up..." Funny, funny. SDN has been Rick rolled!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a feeling this is until 4/2

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know it's an April Fools joke because the search function is terrible.

I think @southerndoc was recruited to be an offended (well, that's a little exaggerated term) user by the mod staff, due to his exaggerated response ("nitro and Xanax"?), coincidentally on 1 April.

It's like on the old "Mission: Impossible" episodes. No matter how reasonable, by the very fact of 4 new people arriving all at the same time is itself suggestive.

Reactions: 1 user
I think @southerndoc was recruited to be an offended (well, that's a little exaggerated term) user by the mod staff, due to his exaggerated response ("nitro and Xanax"?), coincidentally on 1 April.

It's like on the old "Mission: Impossible" episodes. No matter how reasonable, by the very fact of 4 new people arriving all at the same time is itself suggestive.

Nah, definitely wasn't recruited. Ask anyone in the ER where I work: I frequently joke about needing a nitro and a Xanax (especially during flu season).

I was getting pissed too until it clicked in as to what day it is. Well played sdn.

Use of Comic Sans font (arguably the worst font ever) was a nice touch.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really an April fools joke? Or are we just assuming it is and then the joke is on us the next day...

Is it really an April fools joke? Or are we just assuming it is and then the joke is on us the next day...

Seems like it has reverted (you have to change your style in bottom left of screen).

Honestly when I started the thread, I completely forgot about it being April Fool's Day. I was more thinking of just Easter.

Ugh, the old forum style is gone again. "Old Blue" doesn't work. I'm still addicted to the 2000 style SDN and hate the newer layouts/color schemes.

So the last one was April Fool's Day joke. Did we change styles because today is the day the UK adopted the Union Jack as its flag? Celebration of Salk's polio vaccine discovery? Or is it because today was the first day of the Civil War in 1861 (aka Fort Sumter style)?

Ugh, the old forum style is gone again. "Old Blue" doesn't work. I'm still addicted to the 2000 style SDN and hate the newer layouts/color schemes.

So the last one was April Fool's Day joke. Did we change styles because today is the day the UK adopted the Union Jack as its flag? Celebration of Salk's polio vaccine discovery? Or is it because today was the first day of the Civil War in 1861 (aka Fort Sumter style)?

This. I just posted a question in the site suggestions forum asking where the pre-2013 style went. I like the blue so much better than the 6 other options.

I've been on this site for 10 years (and you've been here for 16!), we shouldn't have to change if we don't want to!

nD7XBIk.png

Can we change this back already? Its hard as hell to read anything that's quoted.

Wasn't broken.
Don't fix it.

We did it! I was also thinking of quitting but things are a ok now

OMFG thank god the old style is available again. Literally couldn't stand reading ANY of the other ones.

I actually logged in to post that, as petty as it sounds, I was going to leave SDN. What can seem like only a minor change can make the difference between a pleasant experience and an unpleasant one. Glad the old forum style is back and I can stick around.

I must say trying to scroll down and find the various forums is much harder now. I'm not sure what the goal of the forum changes, was. I'm glad they allow switching to old school mode.

I must say trying to scroll down and find the various forums is much harder now. I'm not sure what the goal of the forum changes, was. I'm glad they allow switching to old school mode.
Because new software doesn't always work with older coding. So it has to be compatible.
And the forum software has to update. It just does.

If you quit over the color here, what do you use to control all of the other websites you look at?

Because new software doesn't always work with older coding. So it has to be compatible.

If you quit over the color here, what do you use to control all of the other websites you look at?

This is HTML that is basic encoding. Colors and layouts can remain with software updates.

I have quit visiting websites that change so much that I can't stand it. In fact, I used to be a subscriber to Modern Healthcare ($500/year). I didn't renew last year because of their annoying pop-up ad that causes the page to "jump" while scrolling down. Sent them an email, they didn't listen, I moved on.

SDN isn't a requirement for my job. I come here because I like to associate with other ED docs and it's fun to read posts. Change the formatting to where it's a pain to look at, and you make it more of a nuisance to visit SDN. Since it's not required, it's easily eliminated from my day. In fact, I probably should've not protested and should've moved on. I could spend 15-20 minutes/day doing other things instead of perusing SDN.

I'm not quitting anything. But since they do allow you to click over to 'old school mode," I did, because it's easier on the eyes. It's not a big deal, though.

That sounds a little like a "Microsoft" response - "that's just the way it is. Deal."

However, it is NOT a "Microsoft solution" - "completely correct, and absolutely useless".

The Microsoft joke