New genetic stuff on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSoccer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that some of the orgo stuff got replaced with genetics. What specific stuff should we focus on to be more prepared for this change, since there isn't much of it on the old tests I've been using? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

On the April exam, it seemed to be mostly molecular/cellular stuff.

Make sure you know translation, transcription, etc. backwards and forwards; it was pretty tough.

The organic was still very hard, despite fewer questions.

Also, I had passages on sandpiper mating habits (Ecology) and jaw development (Evolution). The topics can be quite diverse.

Can't get that file to work...does anybody have one to post?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
From April 2003: I had almost no organic, and even that was super-easy (and I was not at all prepared for organic back then).

The bio stuff on my form had a lot more than transcription and translation. It is getting hard to remember, but I seem to remember lots of experimental stuff that I felt well prepared for by my genetics class; lots of yeast and other micro-organism type experiments which required reading and interpretation; things like if you wipe out an enzyme at one step of a multi-step pathway, what will happen to reactants/products of preceding steps and subsequent steps; organisms that are lacking genes that code enzymes for these steps, etc.

If you're looking for some interactive materials on this stuff, I recommend the Biology Project,
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/site.html
It's a nice break from just reading books.

Thanks for the link Meow. The information on this site will be a great quick review for the test. Here's hoping for that 45.

Herp

If you've taken a genetics, molecular and/or cell & molecular don't even fret about it.

Know the differences between translation and transcription and where each occur and what each do.

Be able to play with Mr. Punnett and his wacky squares.

Understand dominance, recessive, incomplete dominance and sex-linked traits.

Huh, and there looked liked some virology on 5R.. so brush up bacterial/virus terminologies as well.

Originally posted by MUN2005
Can't get that file to work...does anybody have one to post?

Thanks

I had the same problem with that genes.pdf file, then I upgraded to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader and it worked.