New Grad Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

800shoes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate in 2022 and what I've learned about the job market is very disheartening. 60% of the "job" openings I see are PRN shifts. 30% are Full-Time. 80% of the Full-Time jobs REQUIRE at least a year of experience. The leftover jobs that I can actually apply to either don't mention salary at all or have low-ball offers like 32$/hr or 60k$/yr.

Every Entry-Level DPT has like 6 months of internship experience (which companies make bank off of--they get a free PT working for them for 8-12 weeks), but these same companies will exploit a new grad DOCTOR of PT for 60k$/yr. If you average 80$ an hour in reimbursement they are taking most of what you earn.

Is the job market for this profession really as bleak and exploitative as it appears?

I'm going to be 180k in debt and working 50-60 hours, 6-7 days a week for at least 2 years. It looks like I'm going to get paid peanuts to do it, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure as far as pay... but I do know most graduates tend to find their first job where they did their clinical. At least in my school that’s true. We also have a clinic coordinator to help with our first job. I don’t think finding a job will be an issue. I heard most graduates get offered a job even before graduating.. all they have to do is pass the board exam. After having experience, then they venture out to jobs that they originally wanted to pursue

I’m not sure where you go to school but we have meetings with our clinic coordinator. She purposely makes our last clinical experience in the field we want to go in so that there’s a possibility we get jobs there

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How come companies always ask for experience when people are applying for a job to get experience.

I have never heard of a new grad having trouble finding a job. Maybe not your dream job, for instance in some big cities, it is tough to get a peds job. Salary will vary, but I think usually 60-80k for a new grad depending on part of country and setting.

Looking at the job market right now is not a great indicator. Many PTs with jobs have their hours cut or currently totally off due to COVID.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently the job market is terrible but that is not normally the case. I really feel for the new graduates right now, because it really is rough. However, 60k is a pretty normal starting salary in some areas, I started at 65k in outpatient orthopedic about three years ago but in a relatively inexpensive area and had offers as high as 75k in . I have a former classmate who relocated to rural Texas and makes substantially more than that, so if you are willing to relocate for a few years you can do quite well.
I will graduate in 2022 and what I've learned about the job market is very disheartening. 60% of the "job" openings I see are PRN shifts. 30% are Full-Time. 80% of the Full-Time jobs REQUIRE at least a year of experience. The leftover jobs that I can actually apply to either don't mention salary at all or have low-ball offers like 32$/hr or 60k$/yr.

Every Entry-Level DPT has like 6 months of internship experience (which companies make bank off of--they get a free PT working for them for 8-12 weeks), but these same companies will exploit a new grad DOCTOR of PT for 60k$/yr. If you average 80$ an hour in reimbursement they are taking most of what you earn.

Is the job market for this profession really as bleak and exploitative as it appears?

I'm going to be 180k in debt and working 50-60 hours, 6-7 days a week for at least 2 years. It looks like I'm going to get paid peanuts to do it, too.

Currently the job market is terrible but that is not normally the case. Heck, I was out of work for 2 months and only now am being brought back. I only work about 20 hours per week at the moment. Thank heavens for a good side hustle and unemployment. I really feel for the new graduates right now, because it really is rough but we will bounce back eventually. However, 60k is a pretty normal starting salary in some areas, especially outpatient orthopedic (you should make more in hospital systems, home health, skilled nursing, but how much depends on the area). I started at 65k in outpatient orthopedic about three years ago but in a relatively inexpensive area and had offers as high as 75k in hospital settings. Once things get back to normal I should be making around 80-90k working 45-55 hours per week. I have a former classmate who relocated to rural Texas and another who went to Las Vegas and both make significantly more than that. Heck, one is almost done paying off 250k in loans in just over 3 years.

In regards to being exploitative, well that isn't quite what you think it is, at least not entirely (it certainly exists though, so watch out!). After you graduate and get working you will learn a lot more about the financial side of things. Especially if you work in private practice. We have very small profit margins. For example, if we only made $80 per hour in reimbursement my company would be losing approximately $20 every hour. You have to consider things like over head costs, insurance, equipment, support staff, benefits, training, continuing education, etc. All of those cost money. Add that to the fact that reimbursement goes down every year and the fact that your boss/clinic director deserves to get paid more than you because they are bringing more value currently it gets even more complicated. business is tough and business in health care is getting more difficult every year. If you want to negotiate a higher salary, you have to be able to demonstrate your value in regards to outcomes and efficiency. They don't care about your degree, we all have one (some of the best therapist in my company only have a bachelor's), you have to justify it with actual tangibles.

Also, not all companies bank off of their interns, my students work my caseload. So that I am available at all times, obviously my job gets more boring as they become more independent but there is always ways to help them improve. This is not the case everywhere and if you want to get paid during an internship look into doing a rotation at the VA (it isn't a lot but its better than nothing).

What kind of money were you expecting? That is a lot of debt and I have felt the same frustrations you have at times. (if you don't know what to due in terms of loan repayment options I highly recommend working with a company call fitbux, saved my bacon! Joseph Reinke is an amazing guy) There are certainly a fair amount of terrible companies you could work for that will run you into the ground. Just be flexible, don't act like a victim (even if we are in some aspects, the mentality will get you nowhere), and get creative. I moved states for my job, took a lower salary because of the opportunities for learning that were available. Now I have gained a lot of valuable experience, doors are beginning to open, I own a house, have 4 children, my wife no longer works outside the home, and I am doing fine. The first 2 years were a financial struggle. It's rough at times but all you can do is put your head down and work hard and do your best to enjoy yourself while doing it.

I know its rough and there is a lot to be negative about. You can do it, good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Currently the job market is terrible but that is not normally the case. I really feel for the new graduates right now, because it really is rough. However, 60k is a pretty normal starting salary in some areas, I started at 65k in outpatient orthopedic about three years ago but in a relatively inexpensive area and had offers as high as 75k in . I have a former classmate who relocated to rural Texas and makes substantially more than that, so if you are willing to relocate for a few years you can do quite well.

Currently the job market is terrible but that is not normally the case. Heck, I was out of work for 2 months and only now am being brought back. I only work about 20 hours per week at the moment. Thank heavens for a good side hustle and unemployment. I really feel for the new graduates right now, because it really is rough but we will bounce back eventually. However, 60k is a pretty normal starting salary in some areas, especially outpatient orthopedic (you should make more in hospital systems, home health, skilled nursing, but how much depends on the area). I started at 65k in outpatient orthopedic about three years ago but in a relatively inexpensive area and had offers as high as 75k in hospital settings. Once things get back to normal I should be making around 80-90k working 45-55 hours per week. I have a former classmate who relocated to rural Texas and another who went to Las Vegas and both make significantly more than that. Heck, one is almost done paying off 250k in loans in just over 3 years.

In regards to being exploitative, well that isn't quite what you think it is, at least not entirely (it certainly exists though, so watch out!). After you graduate and get working you will learn a lot more about the financial side of things. Especially if you work in private practice. We have very small profit margins. For example, if we only made $80 per hour in reimbursement my company would be losing approximately $20 every hour. You have to consider things like over head costs, insurance, equipment, support staff, benefits, training, continuing education, etc. All of those cost money. Add that to the fact that reimbursement goes down every year and the fact that your boss/clinic director deserves to get paid more than you because they are bringing more value currently it gets even more complicated. business is tough and business in health care is getting more difficult every year. If you want to negotiate a higher salary, you have to be able to demonstrate your value in regards to outcomes and efficiency. They don't care about your degree, we all have one (some of the best therapist in my company only have a bachelor's), you have to justify it with actual tangibles.

Also, not all companies bank off of their interns, my students work my caseload. So that I am available at all times, obviously my job gets more boring as they become more independent but there is always ways to help them improve. This is not the case everywhere and if you want to get paid during an internship look into doing a rotation at the VA (it isn't a lot but its better than nothing).

What kind of money were you expecting? That is a lot of debt and I have felt the same frustrations you have at times. (if you don't know what to due in terms of loan repayment options I highly recommend working with a company call fitbux, saved my bacon! Joseph Reinke is an amazing guy) There are certainly a fair amount of terrible companies you could work for that will run you into the ground. Just be flexible, don't act like a victim (even if we are in some aspects, the mentality will get you nowhere), and get creative. I moved states for my job, took a lower salary because of the opportunities for learning that were available. Now I have gained a lot of valuable experience, doors are beginning to open, I own a house, have 4 children, my wife no longer works outside the home, and I am doing fine. The first 2 years were a financial struggle. It's rough at times but all you can do is put your head down and work hard and do your best to enjoy yourself while doing it.

I know its rough and there is a lot to be negative about. You can do it, good luck!

Topher, I appreciate your post. I'm don't mean to be pessimistically obsessed with money but I'm hardly being unrealistic with my expectations. I expected the salary of new PTs to increase with inflation at the very least.

There's absolutely value in your post but I'm getting lost in your wording here. You're going over my head. What were the "opportunities for learning" available that made you choose the lower paying job? Was the "valuable experience" financially beneficial to you? What "doors are beginning to open"? What is an example of "get creative"?

Topher, I appreciate your post. I'm don't mean to be pessimistically obsessed with money but I'm hardly being unrealistic with my expectations. I expected the salary of new PTs to increase with inflation at the very least.

There's absolutely value in your post but I'm getting lost in your wording here. You're going over my head. What were the "opportunities for learning" available that made you choose the lower paying job? Was the "valuable experience" financially beneficial to you? What "doors are beginning to open"? What is an example of "get creative"?

I wish it would too, if it makes you feel any better, its not just PTs who's salaries aren't keeping up with inflation. Pretty much everyone in health care has similar problems. Cost of living goes up and reimbursement goes down. Companies are taking smaller and smaller profits to try and pay their staff appropriately. I know a lot of PTs who wish they had chosen to go to PA school instead but all the PAs I know complain more than we do about medicine. The cause is multifactorial and a lot of it is greed, but its not the only problem.

To answer you questions let me start with opportunities for learning. The job I took had a fantastic mentorship program, including a orthopedic residency program. Not only did the program include one on one mentorship with some of the best therapists in the region as well as advanced clinical skill training. It also included mentorship about business, marketing, private practice, billing, clinical efficiency among other things. It really made me more valuable and gave me a lot more skills that would have taken much longer to learn. The cherry on top was that I still got a full salary and if I stayed with the company after I completed the company I get all of the fees back. The other job I turned down had a great starting salary but no mentorship or opportunity for advancement in the company. At least not any advancement where I would still be working as a physical therapist (it was a hospital system). Now I am working on getting my own clinic and then becoming a share holder.

There are many reasons a job might pay less but I see two regularly. The first is they are a questionable company in an area so saturated they know they can get away with it. I see this in popular cities like Seattle or Portland, they pay less because they know many people are so desperate to live in a "hip" city they don't have a hard time filling the positions (I know several clinic owners that do this). The second is they aren't as productivity focused. Sure they want to make money but the company cares more about balance than they do about making as much money as possible. My work allows me to work 4 ten hour shifts and tries there hardest to make sure we don't regularly have more than 15 minutes of paperwork at the end of the day. This frees me up so I can work on the creative part of things.

Often companies that pay abnormally high for the area are even more suspect than those that pay too little. They are able to pay more usually due to questionable billing and other business practices. We have a chain in town that pays extremely well, the average therapists stays for about 6 months before they decide it isn't worth it. They make their employees sign non-competes so after they leave they have to leave the area or switch specialties, its pretty messed up.

Now the get creative part, I am not the most creative guy so I may not be the best to give you guidance there but I know some people that are. This is where you can develop some entrepreneurship skills. Cash pay practices, online businesses, social media, side hustles, whatever you can come up with. You can find lots of ways to leverage your physical therapy education to make money. Guys like Greg Todd, Alex Engar among others make a living simply mentoring new graduates on marketing and business (when you are ready, they are great mentors). If you are ever getting down and wondering if it was worth it, those guys will get you motivated. This is all easier said than done and it is something I am beginning to focus on, until now I have been pretty busy with my residency program and newborns. I have already found ways to boost my income about 10-12k a year with a easy part time job that I can do on evenings and weekends. Ends up being about 5-15 extra hours a month.

I hope that helps, Health care is changing and all we can do is adapt. I have been fortunate with my work and having such a wonderful support system. If I were you I would focus on a plan for your student loans first (if you should look at income based, loan forgiveness, or just start paying them off). After that you can focus on the fun stuff.

Prepare to see PRN shifts gutted as hospital systems hedge their losses and begin mass employing part-timers to cover weekends and fill gaps in care. Others will follow suit. $65k a year may feel like a low ball to you, but that is pretty much the industry standard for a new grad in acute care. It's slightly higher in SNF and OP and even higher in HH. Even contract therapy has dried up considerably. This time last year there were over 450 contract travel assignments in California alone. Today there are less than 100 across the US.

As you may know your income is heavily influenced by reimbursement. In acute care PT services are not reimbursed for unless they are being classified as an outpatient or "outpatient in a bed". But for traditional inpatient patients, we don't directly bill for any of our services. Not exactly ideal. What you need to know is that reimbursements are not increasing. In fact every year it seems insurance eliminates reimbursable billing codes or guts it. For example vestibular CPT codes reimburse at about 25-40% of what they did 10 years ago. Or they find other ways to coerce your billing practices like preventing two separate codes from being billed at the same time. There are some insurance companies (Aetna) in our area that will not allow you to bill for Ther Act and Gait training in the same session.

Some may disagree, but I believe we are witnessing the greatest Physical Therapy dumpster fire in the history of our profession. What's in it?

1. The most expensive tuition in the history of the profession.
2. The widest debt-to-income ratio and lowest ROI in the history of the profession.
3. The largest opportunity cost and length of time to complete a PT degree in the history of the profession.
3. The most amount of for-profit PT schools in the history of the profession.
4. The least amount of action by the APTA and CAPTE to control the supply glut of PT's in the history of the profession.
5. The castration of SNF and HH revenue streams in the form of PDPM and PDGM resulting in the most significant changes to PT reimbursement in the history of our profession.
6. The lowest inflation adjusted reimbursement for most CPT codes in the history of our profession.
7. The most documentation required, liabilities, and red tape in the history of our profession.
8. And finally, the gas can. An unprecedented pandemic that crippled the healthcare system and fostered the greatest amount restructuring and cutbacks in the history of our profession.

If you have any business acumen the writing on the wall is pretty clear. This is not a sustainable or healthy model and it will most certainly fail if things do not change. I think we are witnessing a top in the PT profession. I sincerely believe over the next few years PT applicants will decline, the quality of PT candidates will go down as schools have less highly qualified candidates to choose from (highly qualified will look at better ROI professions), and I wouldn't be surprised to see some PT schools close their doors as the financial strain of COVID eliminates private schools with high tuition and low endowments. I think you'll see the same thing happen with PA schools and NP programs in the next decade as many who decide against PT choose those professions as alternatives. Already many places have undergone hiring freezes even for them because of the affects of COVID and massive increases in supply.

But there is hope, however it does not come in the form of a traditional PT pathway. It comes in the form of personal branding and non-traditional career paths working for industry/academia. For example working for DME companies, working for corporations to improve wellness and prevent MSK related claims, working for insurance companies, getting involved in tech and using our expertise in MSK to consult for startups in silicon valley, starting our own practice, getting a PhD and contributing to science, creating a personal brand (YouTube, twitch, skillshare) and free content to build a following and then monetizing that following once large enough, creating and teaching classes (fall clinics, osteoporosis prevention, etc) in your community, getting involved at a federal level with the APTA to change it from within (yes you can become a lobbyist), I could go on and on.

If you believe the value you provide is not being adequately compensated you should take a hard look at alternatives to a traditional pathway. I think many will find if they want to enjoy the quality of life and financial freedoms the PT profession has enjoyed for many decades, they will have no choice.

Reactions: 8 users
Is there any reason to believe that the APTA will begin to address these problems? Specifically the low reimbursement rates? What can they actually do? Insurance companies will out-lobby the APTA every year forever. PT will become a bachelor's degree again, and will get paid as much as Personal Trainers.

The idea that the "answer" to this issue is personal branding or a side-hustle is DARK. If that's the answer than the degree was truly useless. Imagine telling a PA or MD they should make a Twitch stream to supplement their income. Most of your other solutions are simply working more and at weird hours, for potentially no money.

The traditional pathway has to remain viable because we can't all be Youtube stars.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there any reason to believe that the APTA will begin to address these problems? Specifically the low reimbursement rates? What can they actually do? Insurance companies will out-lobby the APTA every year forever. PT will become a bachelor's degree again, and will get paid as much as Personal Trainers.

The idea that the "answer" to this issue is personal branding or a side-hustle is DARK. If that's the answer than the degree was truly useless. Imagine telling a PA or MD they should make a Twitch stream to supplement their income. Most of your other solutions are simply working more and at weird hours, for potentially no money.

The traditional pathway has to remain viable because we can't all be Youtube stars.

Large institutions move slow and the scale of this is at the national level. It will take time for market forces to show clear trends and even more time for the institutions to mobilize into action. I think the APTA will have to address the problem if they want to remain relevant. The AMA has a tight grip on the creation of new medical schools. The doctor "shortage" is nothing but strict control of supply. Larger medical schools can have upwards of 10,000 applicants for less than 200 seats. There is no shortage of qualified applicants, only available seats. The AMA lobbying group is also significantly more powerful than the APTA. Doctors will always be far more influential than we are and much more resilient to changes in reimbursement since they have a vast amount of ways to bill.

Inflation adjusted reimbursement rates aren't likely to increase to a significant degree, I think the more realistic option would be the advent of new billing codes for services not yet reimbursed for by insurance such as preventative care. That pressure will need to come from the public, lobbyists, and evidence showcasing the value of said service. If an insurance company stands to save $1,000 by doling out $300 they will absolutely do it. That research is only going to be done by other PT's who decided NOT to go a traditional pathway.

If you think PT's will at some point get paid as much as Personal Trainers you're far behind. A Personal Trainer with a solid book of business already takes home more than a PT. Why? Because they charge $50-$60 an hour cash and don't have the overhead of insurance. At this time the future of the profession IS dark. Talk to people who have been in the profession for 10, 20, 30 years. Right now the vast majority want out. That does not make the degree useless, but it does it make the ROI less competitive if you plan to pursue a traditional pathway. Talk to PA's and NP's who are just graduating and can't get a job because of all the hiring freezes. We aren't the only ones who are looking for alternative paths. Physical Therapy is not going away, but I think it will look different.

It's pretty clear to me you are canvassing responses and looking to hear something that fits your expectations as you have been selectively disparaging suggestions Topher and I made. Sorry, NOTHING has to remain viable just because you think it should. The mentality of "I do this and therefore I deserve this" is the reason we are here in the first place. Of the nine alternatives I mentioned, which was hardly exhaustive, you chose to single out one of the more difficult options and completely dismissed the rest. I mentioned multiple viable career paths you can pursue with a PT degree that do not have "weird hours", require "working more", or bring in "potentially no money". DME, Consulting, Research/Academia, and Wellness can all easily net over 6-figures and are full time jobs with great benefits and normal hours.

I don't have anything more to add to this discussion. The way I see it is you can either be proactive and adapt to a changing market or you can lay down and get whats coming to you. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly, unless there is a total overhaul of the US healthcare system, I don't see reimbursement rates changing much. The APTA is definitely aware of the debt crisis, and some schools are looking at creative ways to cut costs, but as for profit schools are doing great and their are naive students willing to go into crazy debt, there just isn't that much pressure on schools to really cut costs. Many schools are creating those bonus things (clinicals abroad, innovative sounding teaching experiences) to try to make their price tag seem worth it, rather than seeing how they can educate students for a more reasonable price. And prospective students eat it up!

I think a lot could come from better marketing. Think of how easily people drop that out of pocket money on a personal trainer, or massage, or even a pedicure! But they won't go to PT for a $20 copay. While we need to be affordable/accessible to EVERYONE, we also need to show we are worth it to those who do have the money.

I got 2 full time job offers within 3 weeks after getting my license. 2 per diem offers. Started full time job at $42-ish/h getting $49-ish/h a couple years later (inpatient). Work only 40h/week. May be different with inpatient settings and may vary from state to state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Large institutions move slow and the scale of this is at the national level. It will take time for market forces to show clear trends and even more time for the institutions to mobilize into action. I think the APTA will have to address the problem if they want to remain relevant. The AMA has a tight grip on the creation of new medical schools. The doctor "shortage" is nothing but strict control of supply. Larger medical schools can have upwards of 10,000 applicants for less than 200 seats. There is no shortage of qualified applicants, only available seats. The AMA lobbying group is also significantly more powerful than the APTA. Doctors will always be far more influential than we are and much more resilient to changes in reimbursement since they have a vast amount of ways to bill.

Inflation adjusted reimbursement rates aren't likely to increase to a significant degree, I think the more realistic option would be the advent of new billing codes for services not yet reimbursed for by insurance such as preventative care. That pressure will need to come from the public, lobbyists, and evidence showcasing the value of said service. If an insurance company stands to save $1,000 by doling out $300 they will absolutely do it. That research is only going to be done by other PT's who decided NOT to go a traditional pathway.

If you think PT's will at some point get paid as much as Personal Trainers you're far behind. A Personal Trainer with a solid book of business already takes home more than a PT. Why? Because they charge $50-$60 an hour cash and don't have the overhead of insurance. At this time the future of the profession IS dark. Talk to people who have been in the profession for 10, 20, 30 years. Right now the vast majority want out. That does not make the degree useless, but it does it make the ROI less competitive if you plan to pursue a traditional pathway. Talk to PA's and NP's who are just graduating and can't get a job because of all the hiring freezes. We aren't the only ones who are looking for alternative paths. Physical Therapy is not going away, but I think it will look different.

It's pretty clear to me you are canvassing responses and looking to hear something that fits your expectations as you have been selectively disparaging suggestions Topher and I made. Sorry, NOTHING has to remain viable just because you think it should. The mentality of "I do this and therefore I deserve this" is the reason we are here in the first place. Of the nine alternatives I mentioned, which was hardly exhaustive, you chose to single out one of the more difficult options and completely dismissed the rest. I mentioned multiple viable career paths you can pursue with a PT degree that do not have "weird hours", require "working more", or bring in "potentially no money". DME, Consulting, Research/Academia, and Wellness can all easily net over 6-figures and are full time jobs with great benefits and normal hours.

I don't have anything more to add to this discussion. The way I see it is you can either be proactive and adapt to a changing market or you can lay down and get whats coming to you. I wish you the best.

The VAST majority of personal trainers make FAR less than physical therapists. You're talking about the top 1% of personal trainers.

Traditional PT doesn't have to stay viable because I "want it to". It has to stay viable because (I was told) it's a safe, effective way of getting people healthier and a necessary part of rehabilitation for many many injuries and surgeries. If that's not true than every practicing PT is a quack doctor tricking people into doing exercises.

DPT/Ph.D people teach at PT schools. If you want a stricter limit on PT students like the AMA does with MDs, something I totally agree with, then PhD is not a viable career path. Academia in the future is going to require more certifications and qualifications. You won't make 6 figures unless you're a tenured professor for 10 years (and tenured positions are becoming less common). A tenured professor just retired at my school and is simply no being replaced. Consulting does not have benefits or reasonable hours. If you're a consultant you are finding your own customers. To be a consultant you have to actually have experience in a specialty which absolutely will not happen for new grads or anyone who hasn't worked for 10 years or paid even more money for more education in a specialization. I don't even know what you mean by "Wellness" but I'll bet you can't make 6 figures + benefits without a MPH.

If Physical Therapy is a legitimate profession and we are legitimate doctors, the pay has to match that. It has in the past, and it is a relatively new problem that you seem to think is simply unavoidable.

If PT's need to adapt by teaching falls classes, advertising massages, getting new CPT codes that temporarily get reimbursed more (and subsequently altering their patient care based on reimbursement), paying >50k for a PhD and giving up every weekend of their life for >3 years to get into academia and escape clinical practice, hosting a twitch stream that no one will ever watch, selling DME over the phone, ETC ETC. then they were never legitimate healthcare providers in the first place. In that case, congratulations. They tricked me so well I actually want to become a PT.

Believe it or not, this is not about me looking for pity? I thought Topher's post was very good. He answered my questions specifically and they were good answers.

I reject the idea that reimbursement rates can't go up to previous levels. Insurance companies follow CMS. CMS doesn't care about new research. They care about their finances. They found 61% of PT notes didn't meet the requirements for medical necessity and acted accordingly. That's bad PTs ruining it for everyone. Apparently there's a lot of bad PTs. I’m Mad as Hell—and I’m Not Going to Take it Anymore • Posts by EIM | Evidence In Motion

Reactions: 3 users
I got 2 full time job offers within 3 weeks after getting my license. 2 per diem offers. Started full time job at $42-ish/h getting $49-ish/h a couple years later (inpatient). Work only 40h/week. May be different with inpatient settings and may vary from state to state.

WiseOldPT said that COVID is making the job market bleak right now and that it's not as bad as I'm seeing on the internet right now. So your post is very good to hear. I can't tell you how happy I would be to start at 40+$/hr. Thank you.

WiseOldPT said that COVID is making the job market bleak right now and that it's not as bad as I'm seeing on the internet right now. So your post is very good to hear. I can't tell you how happy I would be to start at 40+$/hr. Thank you.

You can take advantage of COVID actually. Inpatient places are paying $5-15/h more for working with people tested positive for COVID. Outpatient places may be losing money though.

That's bad PTs ruining it for everyone.
This is why it may never go back to old reimbursement rates. Unless some magical legislation is introduced to increase PT reimbursement rates, it will get worse every few years, as it has for quite some time now.

I wonder if the same is happening to MDs/DOs.

This is why it may never go back to old reimbursement rates. Unless some magical legislation is introduced to increase PT reimbursement rates, it will get worse every few years, as it has for quite some time now.

I wonder if the same is happening to MDs/DOs.
Yes Physicians have to see more volume to make up for ot

I am glad you found something you wanted to hear that makes you happy. I hope one day you come back on this forum and post what you were offered as a new grad including rate, hours, location, and setting for all to see. As I predicted 6 months ago, reimbursement cuts are continuing. The final Medicare Physician Fee Schedule for 2021 has been signed for an estimated 9% decrease in payment for codes tied to Part B physical therapist services.

I am glad you found something you wanted to hear that makes you happy. I hope one day you come back on this forum and post what you were offered as a new grad including rate, hours, location, and setting for all to see. As I predicted 6 months ago, reimbursement cuts are continuing. The final Medicare Physician Fee Schedule for 2021 has been signed for an estimated 9% decrease in payment for codes tied to Part B physical therapist services.
I do not believe it ended up being 9%. Think it was reduced.

It was reduced to 3%, not a hugely bad thing, we need to be talking about mediocrity in the profession and poor pt outcomes anyways.

To the original point of the thread - I am about to graduate and have been watching the market closely (both in my metro and in another state), and over the past few months prospects have changed considerably. Part time and PRN openings have switched to "urgently hiring FT", and I am looking only in 2 major cities.

If you want to know whats happening in the job market start looking on indeed for job listings just to have a basic idea. Start following Ben Fung and reading updoc medias publications also, its critical to know whats happening in your field.

Read APTA news letters, speak to other practicing professionals, etc... There are a lot of folks apparently exiting the market right now moving into 2nd careers (just like I did, but I went the other direction), which is also creating openings. Lots of folks who did it for a while got burnt out, which is possible in any career, but for those of us entering the field its a good thing... But know your worth, and start working to establish a solid resume and consider reasons to support your value when you apply for jobs. Most companies will negotiate, but if your reason for FT, higher salary, more vacation, etc, is just "because I asked for it", your chances arent great.... But with a little thought and research you can set yourself apart in the field and establish your own personal brand and demand for your "product".

Good luck!

I'm a current travel Physical Therapist who created a side business called "Healthcare Hustlers" where I list travel therapy jobs.

I created the business to prevent travelers from being low balled and ripped off by shady recruiters.

The recruiters I work with offer jobs at a pay rate higher than the industry average.

As a new grad, you can easily make $100k+

Feel free to join the group and ask me any questions you may have about travel therapy!

From physical therapist friend in private practice. "Medicare and Medicaid is expected to decrease insurance reimbursements for physical therapy by 12% on 1/1/2022. These cuts coupled with changing payer mixes created an unsustainable profit loss for my physical therapy business."

Update:

Interviewed for 2 jobs in the Midwest.

1: Outpatient. Did 1st internship at this place, told me they really wanted me. Offered $33.50/hr which I declined immediately. I was very disappointed as I liked this place but that felt like a lowball.

2: Outpatient. Have a company-wide, non-negotiable pay structure, offer was $37/hr.

I am honestly fine making that much as a new grad.

Honestly, I am a little frustrated that both places said it was a "great job market" and they had trouble finding people, because this reality was not reflected in the pay offers. Wages seems to be based more on a set profit margin per hour and not on supply vs demand. Clinics would rather be short a therapist rather than pay above "market rate", which they claim to be offering.

It is what it is, but I wish I knew more about the economy of why it is like that. Like, if there is an MBA Admin or Rehab Director somewhere up the ladder demanding XX% profit/hour and is being paid a massive salary with an incentive structure, then the wage inflexibility is due to their desire to hit metrics that increase their pay. If it's based on administrative bloat, that's a complex problem and is a side effect of insurance red tape. If it is truly just an inability to pay more and remain open, then I just have to accept it. I just wish I knew where are the other dollars were going.

Sorry OP. With that much debt and new grads being paid 65-80K a year with a low ceiling and outrageous productivity demands, you might as well default on those loans or prepare for a lifetime of never being able to afford a house outside of the hood. 6 figures of debt for a DPT is a death sentence. I wish you the best

Update (and a reply to the last comment telling me to default on loans).

16 months at the same job, I now make $80k a year at my FT job and $50/hour PRN around 20 hours a month.

I am on the SAVE plan so my monthly payment is very manageable, my overall amount paid over 10 years will be very manageable, and my massive scary insurmountable debt will simply go away in 10 years (25 if I switch to for-profit). I was approved for a mortgage and car payment and my credit score is great.

People taking on massive student loans compared to their peers should not despair like I did. If you can budget for and emotionally accept paying 10% of your (discretionary) income, it will end up fine long term.