New grad: lost and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Malipremed

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I’m expected to graduate this semester with a subpar gpa (3.3cgpa/3.07sgpa) and an MCAT of 515 and I’m URM. I have two years of research experience with a poster presentation and a pending publication*. My clinical experience is very cookie cutter with 50 hours of shadowing and 100 hours of clinical volunteering, I’ve also done clinical volunteering while visiting Africa but I don’t know if that’s significant. I’m planning on doing a DIY post bacc at my local community and raise my sgpa to 3.3 before application season next year but I don’t know how medical school would look at that. I would really appreciate any advice or feedback.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are actually fine to apply this cycle in June. The GPA-MCAT grid for Black or African American applicants shows you have almost a 90% chance for a MD acceptance. Include your clinical hours in Africa on your application.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Minnesota
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Continue your plans for a post bacc in the coming year and accumulate 100+ more hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact in case you need to reapply.
 
You are actually fine to apply this cycle in June. The GPA-MCAT grid for Black or African American applicants shows you have almost a 90% chance for a MD acceptance. Include your clinical hours in Africa on your application.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Minnesota
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Continue your plans for a post bacc in the coming year and accumulate 100+ more hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact in case you need to reapply.
Thank you for the list! U Minnesota is my dream school and sort of an outlier within the list, do you have any advice on how I can tailor my application to a higher tier school like Minnesota?
 
Minnesota has a significant Somali population so it is important that you stress your value.

You could always do a little more clinical, but what is your non clinical community service experience?

I have done food shelf work for the past two years and I’ve been tutoring high school kids for undergrad that’s about it for community service