New Grad, PGY-1, AND PGY-2 Differences

Started by RxMTM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RxMTM

Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I have a rough idea of what the differences are between being a new grad, PGY-1, and PGY-2. But what are the pros and cons, really. I know you can be a faculty member with one year of residency. Also, I know you need two years of residency to become a specialist. What are some experiences or insight you guys have on this?👍
 
Hey guys, I have a rough idea of what the differences are between being a new grad, PGY-1, and PGY-2. But what are the pros and cons, really. I know you can be a faculty member with one year of residency. Also, I know you need two years of residency to become a specialist. What are some experiences or insight you guys have on this?👍

A new grad: fresh, generally lacking of experiences (there are exceptions, of courses).
PGY-1: generally repeating clinical rotations from last year of pharm school with more-in-depth exposure to different settings for another year.
PGY-2: focusing on one or some specialty for one year.

You can be a faculty member with one year of residency. You don't have to have 2 years of residency to become a specialist. I've know a couple oncology pharmacists who were promoted from staff pharmacist positions, and they are doing just fine. Experience counts....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
General consensus: PGY 2 makes you too specialized, no residency makes you too uncompetitive, and PGY 1 is just right.

What you are saying makes sense since most graduates go straight into the workforce without any post-grad training.
I'm hoping this remains for a while. I'm hearing that schools are starting to require PGY-1 residencies.


You can be a faculty member with one year of residency. You don't have to have 2 years of residency to become a specialist. I've know a couple oncology pharmacists who were promoted from staff pharmacist positions, and they are doing just fine. Experience counts....

So it would be a better idea to get paid full salary and specialize on your own by experience. That sounds like a better deal to me.
 
Sorry. I meant that they may require a residency in the near future.

Schools have no more power to require a post-GRADUATE residency than they do to require you to make your annual alumni donation.

On the other hand, employers have been moving in this direction for a while. Any recent graduate looking for a hospital job with a clinical services component is almost required to do a residency- it's only a matter of time until ALL hires for hospital positions require a residency from recent grads.

I can't say I see retail heading down the same road.