New grad Pharmacy Manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBulldog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a new grad and my first job starts in a couple of weeks as a pharmacy manager at an independent.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? Or even better does anyone have advice or tips on what not to do?

Your experiences and advice are appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, are you saying you never worked as a pharmacist and are now managing MORE EXPERIENCED pharmacists? Sounds like a bad situation. You better just be as nice as possible so there is no mutiny against you.

If you really don't have ANY experience I'd be careful about challenging the pharmacists working there before you. That is UNLESS you can confirm they are subpar.

If it's looking grim when you start after a few days you best start applying for a job where you aren't managing people.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would bring in your freshly minted diploma and make the more 'experienced' pharmacist hang it for you. Don't be a beta.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I’m a new grad and my first job starts in a couple of weeks as a pharmacy manager at an independent.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? Or even better does anyone have advice or tips on what not to do?

if it's anything like offering new CVS grads a PIC position. run. not worth the extra money

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure the first day you tell the experienced techs and staff RPhs that what you say is the final word on all issues and if they don't like it they will be written up. This will help boost morale.

Reactions: 4 users
I would question why an independent is hiring a new grad with zero experience to be PIC.

Did the PIC recently step down to a relief position?

It sounds like something is wrong and they're setting you up to take the fall.

I remember when a grad intern with an MBA, who was going to take over the pharmacy I helped keep afloat working 12 hour days x 13 days on for almost a year (as a traveling pharmacist), told me he was better than me. I stopped giving him advice that day and none of the techs liked him anyways. He ended up failing the NAPLEX, and moving to bum-****-no-where Population 30 Colorado. Don't be arrogant, do not try to change things on the first day or month. Bring starbucks and donuts.

Last edited:
  • Love
You won't last 6 months.

Don't change things up right away if you don't like certain things. Be in an observational role. Utilize the experience in your pharmacists and techs. If you're gonna ask someone to do an undesirable task, make sure it's something you'd do too (like cleaning the crapper ) Above all, treat everyone with respect. You earn respect by your actions, not your title.

You won't last 6 months.

Comments and attitude like this is exactly why this profession is heading downhill. A person comes in asking for advice to better himself and instead you give unnecessary comments.

Even if that’s what you truly think, maybe explainig what the hurdles are to be aware of is a better way of getting your point across.

Thanks for the few people who actually had some good input.

Get to know your staff. Know who all can do what, everyone has a particular strength. While this will be quite challenging, it doesn't have to be doom and gloom like several of the responses.

While it might seem obvious one particular failure I see in several pharmacy managers is not being an actual manager. One particular rph I know will never fight for her people, this has been a huge detriment to her pharmacy's morale and staffing issues. Another one will never address issues that everyone has went to them about, which again causes issues with morale and productivity.

It's a fine line you have to walk and it will take time to know where to place your feet. Observation and making sure (internal) issues get addressed in a timely and fair manner will help your ship sail much more smoothly.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Get to know your staff. Know who all can do what, everyone has a particular strength. While this will be quite challenging, it doesn't have to be doom and gloom like several of the responses.

While it might seem obvious one particular failure I see in several pharmacy managers is not being an actual manager. One particular rph I know will never fight for her people, this has been a huge detriment to her pharmacy's morale and staffing issues. Another one will never address issues that everyone has went to them about, which again causes issues with morale and productivity.

It's a fine line you have to walk and it will take time to know where to place your feet. Observation and making sure (internal) issues get addressed in a timely and fair manner will help your ship sail much more smoothly.

Thank you for your input! That was very helpful, I appreciate it

Reactions: 1 users
Comments and attitude like this is exactly why this profession is heading downhill. A person comes in asking for advice to better himself and instead you give unnecessary comments.
Even if that’s what you truly think, maybe explainig what the hurdles are to be aware of is a better way of getting your point across.
Pffffft. Very ignorant statement.

Here's some helpful advice:

1.) There's no legit reason for an established pharmacy to have such low volume.
It's obviously not a healthy business.
It's foolish not to know why before getting involved.

2.)
Run a report on the Medicare dispensing.
Have a meeting with another independent nearby to see if the their numbers look similar to yours.

If there are any compounds billed to Medicare, make sure they are legit and documented correctly.

Make sure the % of opioids dispensed isn't too high.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

I've been working in pharmacy since high school. Work-study program was available to me in 2006 so I've been in the business in some form or fashion for more than 10 years. I'm sorry my comment bothered you but I am not going to apologize.

:cigar:
I've been working in pharmacy since high school. Work-study program was available to me in 2006 so I've been in the business in some form or fashion for more than 10 years. I'm sorry my comment bothered you but I am not going to apologize.

Don’t worry about it, I’ll hit you up in 6 months proving you wrong :hello:

• Haha
Pffffft. Very ignorant statement.

Here's some helpful advice:

1.) There's no legit reason for an established pharmacy to have such low volume.
It's obviously not a healthy business.
It's foolish not to know why before getting involved.

2.)
Have a meeting with another independent nearby to see if the their numbers look similar to yours.

If there are any compounds billed to Medicare, make sure they are legit and documented correctly.

Make sure the % of opioids dispensed isn't too high.

“Very ignorant statement”... and the other statement “you wont last 6months” wasn’t? :laugh:

Anyways thank you for your points, I appreciate it

Last edited:
Reminded me of Homer Simpson. "I never apologize. I am sorry, that's just the way I am."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
“Very ignorant statement”... and the other statement “you wont last 6months” wasn’t? :laugh:

Anyways thank you for your points, I appreciate it

Oh, do you exist in a parallel universe where I quoted that post, or in one where the existence of one ignorant post nullifies the state of ignorance of all following posts?

I think I'll add "feels the need to shift blame" below "couldn't critically think their way out of a wet paper Pharmacy bag" on my fake FBI profiling form

This just sounds bad. I can see why CVS or Wags does this but a independen? Hiring a new grad to be manager? Something shady here

There are situations where this seems reasonable such as having rotated or known the owner during school. I was offered an independent store from an owner who had multiple in rural Texas who was looking towards retirement. A separate student took him up on the offer on a separate store. This occurred during school after having rotated with him.

I agree you should cover your bases though.

2.)

i guess independents are different. but if its at cvs this is a no-no. at the bottom of the report it should say for "internal use only." u don't run medicare reports and take it elsewhere like that.

i guess independents are different. but if its at cvs this is a no-no. at the bottom of the report it should say for "internal use only." u don't run medicare reports and take it elsewhere like that.

Whoops wrong screenshot

You don't have to take a report with you. But you can remember the overall numbers.

Still here. Increased Rx sales by 150%, got a 20% raise and working on another acquisition

Haha good for you bro. That’s great! Apparently your not one of the weak ones...

Still here. Increased Rx sales by 150%, got a 20% raise and working on another acquisition

Damn. That comment must have really triggered you to come back and update your thread in 2 years lol. Good job though.

• Wow
2 year grudge. Good for you.

No grudges at all, the reason I am able to scale a pharmacy operation so quickly is because there are other pharmacists that think the same way you do, keep it up.
:rofl:

Damn. That comment must have really triggered you to come back and update your thread in 2 years lol. Good job though.

I just ran across the thread and thought it would be fun to give an update, and hope that new grads that read this thread not get discouraged of taking on more responsibility right out of school

For those of you who may, or may not, remember my epic rant last year. I gotta say this guy is - the man!

No grudges at all, the reason I am able to scale a pharmacy operation so quickly is because there are other pharmacists that think the same way you do, keep it up.

You don't think I've been scaling up too?

You don't think I've been scaling up too?

I don't know what you're doing (but I can take a good guess by what you post and your thought process).

All I have to say is, if you were my competition in my market, I'd have your lunch

@BenJammin Do kids still say you got burned?

Probably the old timers didn't want the hassle.......Be nice and beg them for help...advice..etc.......make notes of any illegal..questionable doings....A Pharmacy board will happily screw a little guy but won't dare to touch a huge chain...

Probably the old timers didn't want the hassle.......Be nice and beg them for help...advice..etc.......make notes of any illegal..questionable doings....A Pharmacy board will happily screw a little guy but won't dare to touch a huge chain...

Lol. You're 2 years late to the party. He was just updating us

How did I get burned? I'm the one who lived in his head rent free for 2 years.

"Lived in his head rent free for 2 years". :rofl:

That's exactly the same dude that will say, I don't like corporate metrics (instead of understanding them and using them to better his workflow).

That's exactly the same dude that will say, I don't want to be the PIC for an extra $2 raise (instead of taking the added responsibility, knowing its not about $2/hour but about growing his skillset)

That's also exactly the same dude that will eventually say, oh no we're all screwed they're laying us off and the job market sucks (When in reality you just have nothing extra to differentiate yourself from your peers).

Good luck with life sir

That's exactly the same dude that will say, I don't like corporate metrics (instead of understanding them and using them to better his workflow).

That's exactly the same dude that will say, I don't want to be the PIC for an extra $2 raise (instead of taking the added responsibility, knowing its not about $2/hour but about growing his skillset)

That's also exactly the same dude that will eventually say, oh no we're all screwed they're laying us off and the job market sucks (When in reality you just have nothing extra to differentiate yourself from your peers).

Good luck with life sir

I am almost speechless. I am truly in awe. I couldn’t have crafted a more satirical response if I tried. Kudos to you sir. :bow:

• Haha

Good luck with life sir

Yikes. You know I don't work for CVS right? None of what you said applies to me.

Good luck with life sir
Glad I could motivate you to grow as a person; I'm sure you did face a fair share of backlash & criticism initially. Taking constructive criticism & negative feedback are great ways to better one's self