New GRE

Started by CatPartay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CatPartay

Ross 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so I just got home from taking the new GRE and I feel like I am going to pass out. Just a warning to anyone that is taking it soon-you have to take the verbal and math 3 times each! By the last test I was just picking answers because I could not stare at the computer anymore. Test took 5 hours. You are also just given a range of your score till november, they are going to grade on a curve. I did do better then last time on the original test though. I like that you can go back and forth if you dont want to answer a question right away. But it was grueling and long. Just wanted to warn anyone taking it because I had no idea I had to take each part 3 times....AH
 
I believe it took me 4 hours to write the GRE. I was not expecting there to be 3 sections of each and so time went very slow. Luckily, my eyes did not get tired midway through the test, but I really had to use the bathroom near the end and I was so hungry that I could have eaten the computer screen. 😛.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, super glad I took it last year. Judging by the practice section I got, I'm glad I didn't take the new one. Throw in doing it in triplicate and I'd probably just say screw it.
 
And I'm planning a re-take. :scared:. Although I did better on the revised GRE compared to the old one, I still think I can improve upon my score. I would rather have the analogies back than the questions where you have 2-3 blanks and have to fill in the word. If you get one word wrong, your whole answer is wrong. I wish they would give us partial credit. 😛.
 
I actually like the new GRE. I think it took me 4 hours to write, but I only had 2 verbal and 3 quant sections (plus Analytical Writing :barf:). I really like the new format and I loved being able to go back to questions I had marked. Way better experience than the first time. Still probably bombed AW, though
 
Just took the new one today! I didn't think it was TERRIBLE but I skipped the writing and have no experience with the old one. Being able to use a calculator was super nice!

Now to just wait until November to find out for sure how I did..
 
Just took the new one today! I didn't think it was TERRIBLE but I skipped the writing and have no experience with the old one. Being able to use a calculator was super nice!

Now to just wait until November to find out for sure how I did..

Why did you skip the writing? Did you have to do 3 sections of each?
 
I skipped the writing because none of the places I plan on applying, at least the first time, require it 👍

And I did have 3 sections verbal and 3 sections quantitative. Or at least I'm pretty sure, they all blurred together after a while! But that goes with what I read somewhere that you are scored on 2 verbal sections and 2 quantitative sections and they throw in an unscored section and another "research" section.
 
Maybe it's just me, but I LOVED the new one (maybe its b/c i got 750-800 score on Quant). I only had writing, three math, two verbal sections. It was a very long test tho. Kinda concerned on verbal, b/c my range was 100 points (WTF is that about?) Anyone know how this range really equals out? 100 points is a MAJOR range 😀
 
Maybe it's just me, but I LOVED the new one (maybe its b/c i got 750-800 score on Quant). I only had writing, three math, two verbal sections. It was a very long test tho. Kinda concerned on verbal, b/c my range was 100 points (WTF is that about?) Anyone know how this range really equals out? 100 points is a MAJOR range 😀

My ranges were BOTH about 100 points! I'm so curious.

Also, my quant range was 710-800. 😕 I would assume if you get a more specific score like yours that means you did better, but I'm confused as to why they would even include 800 as a possibility for me. Unless the tests differ that much that they have to give vague comparisons.