Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
Hello all,

Just joined tonight for several reasons, but mainly because my interest in Dentistry took a turn for the worst today and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. I applied for the 2005 cycle to only, technically, one school, which I was rejected from.

My rejection has little to do with my change of heart, however it didn't help out either. This is only the second forum of which I am now a member and I found that the best way to receive help and information is to simply talk to othera who are in the same boat.

So, here I am! I'm looking forward to talking to all of you and hopefully, with a bit of help, I'll be a part of the class of 2010.

I don't really have any questions that I want to address at this time, but don't worry...I've got tons, so hopefully you all can help me out and I'll do my best to help you. Nice talking to ya...you'll be hearing more from me. :)


So...how about them Hokies ;)
 

Trookie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
171
1
Status
GO HOKIES! I applied to VCU as well and haven't been accepted. I guess I should be receiving my rejection letter pretty soon as well.
 

Rezdawg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
1,617
2
Houston
Visit site
Status
Dentist
You will get lots of help on this board if you need it.

Good luck to you next year.
 

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
1,703
5
39
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
Rezdawg said:
You will get lots of help on this board if you need it.

Good luck to you next year.
sometimes way too much help!
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
Looking forward to hearing from everyone...haha....yeah speaking of Maryland, anyone catch the game this weekend...haha...yeah take THAT Maryland!:D

No, in all honesty I'll go whever I get in!! Even Maryland ;)
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
Landshark said:
Looking forward to hearing from everyone...haha....yeah speaking of Maryland, anyone catch the game this weekend...haha...yeah take THAT Maryland!:D

No, in all honesty I'll go whever I get in!! Even Maryland ;)
\




well, tell us why you didnt get in ..................


I got a 23 and got into 8 schools but I wanted it bad.
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
vertical bite said:
\




well, tell us why you didnt get in ..................


I got a 23 and got into 8 schools but I wanted it bad.
Well I didn't get into VCU because of my DAT scores, which was not a suprise to me because I didn't think I would get in with 16's! However, the individual I spoke to at VCU was not very encouraging and attempted to steer me away from Denstistry because, for whatever reason, he felt I couldn't do any better.

I didn't take the DAT's seriously enough and as a result I did poorly...no excuses. But I WILL do better next time. As far as Maryland is concerned, I would assume I was rejected for the same reasons...
 

airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
323
0
Status
Landshark said:
Well I didn't get into VCU because of my DAT scores, which was not a suprise to me because I didn't think I would get in with 16's! However, the individual I spoke to at VCU was not very encouraging and attempted to steer me away from Denstistry because, for whatever reason, he felt I couldn't do any better.

I didn't take the DAT's seriously enough and as a result I did poorly...no excuses. But I WILL do better next time. As far as Maryland is concerned, I would assume I was rejected for the same reasons...
It sounds like you didn't take the Application seriously enough, and it probably showed to the adcoms. Which is likely the case for many first time applications, since there is alot to figure out if you are not getting help.

So now you know. Study seriously for the DAT, make sure your GPA is solid, pad you application with shadowing/volutneering. Essentially become a serious applicant. Apply to more than one school.
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
airvent said:
It sounds like you didn't take the Application seriously enough, and it probably showed to the adcoms. Which is likely the case for many first time applications, since there is alot to figure out if you are not getting help.

So now you know. Study seriously for the DAT, make sure your GPA is solid, pad you application with shadowing/volutneering. Essentially become a serious applicant. Apply to more than one school.
Well now I do give myself more credit than that.

I study hard and make the best grades I possibly can; my GPA has suffered greatly because of bad professors, who were kicked off campus after teaching some of the courses I was enrolled in, and in labs where the equipment was not operating correctly and no one would acknowledge it...althought it is not becoming clear to the faculty that there is a problem.

I put in a significant amount of volunteer time as well.
Also, I did made 19's and 17's on most of the sections on the DAT, but only got a 9 on the PAT! Now this is supposed to test your perceptual ability and, from what I've read, your manual dexterity. While I agree with the perceptual ability, I highly disagree with its (the PAT) ability to demonstrate your perceptual ability. I'll leave it at that. I have some skills and I'm gonna give myself credit for that. I NEVER boast, but sometime you've got to "toot" your own horn or no one else will. Attention to detail is very important in Denstistry, as well as patience and I have both. Why else would I be putting in this much time to get in if I didn't think I had the skills to be a great Dentist?

BUT you are right...I didn't take the DAT seriously enough so I need to do better and study harder. I've decided to enroll in the Kaplan course, so hopefully that's a good first start...that and talking to you fine people ;) Thanks!
 

crazy8

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
40
0
Status
Landshark said:
Well now I do give myself more credit than that.

I study hard and make the best grades I possibly can; my GPA has suffered greatly because of bad professors, who were kicked off campus after teaching some of the courses I was enrolled in, and in labs where the equipment was not operating correctly and no one would acknowledge it...althought it is not becoming clear to the faculty that there is a problem.

I put in a significant amount of volunteer time as well.
Also, I did made 19's and 17's on most of the sections on the DAT, but only got a 9 on the PAT! Now this is supposed to test your perceptual ability and, from what I've read, your manual dexterity. While I agree with the perceptual ability, I highly disagree with its (the PAT) ability to demonstrate your perceptual ability. I'll leave it at that. I have some skills and I'm gonna give myself credit for that. I NEVER boast, but sometime you've got to "toot" your own horn or no one else will. Attention to detail is very important in Denstistry, as well as patience and I have both. Why else would I be putting in this much time to get in if I didn't think I had the skills to be a great Dentist?

BUT you are right...I didn't take the DAT seriously enough so I need to do better and study harder. I've decided to enroll in the Kaplan course, so hopefully that's a good first start...that and talking to you fine people ;) Thanks!
I am confused as to what you mean by...
"While I agree with the perceptual ability, I highly disagree with its (the PAT) ability to demonstrate your perceptual ability."

The DAT is fair in that everyone takes the thing. Bottom line is this, you either get it done, or you don't.
as for your excuses...
my dog ate my homework, bad professors, etc..cmon, maybe your mom will by that stuff. Again, you either get it done, or you don't. It is really quite that simple.
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
crazy8 said:
I am confused as to what you mean by...
"While I agree with the perceptual ability, I highly disagree with its (the PAT) ability to demonstrate your perceptual ability."

The DAT is fair in that everyone takes the thing. Bottom line is this, you either get it done, or you don't.
as for your excuses...
my dog ate my homework, bad professors, etc..cmon, maybe your mom will by that stuff. Again, you either get it done, or you don't. It is really quite that simple.
oops, I meant manual dexterity...my bad!
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
crazy8 said:
as for your excuses...
my dog ate my homework, bad professors, etc..cmon, maybe your mom will by that stuff. Again, you either get it done, or you don't. It is really quite that simple.
I respect your opinion and statements, but I'll give you an example because its not really fair to say that I have "excuses"

This refers to my GPA:

In biochemistry lab we worked with protein samples of unknown concentrations, and did several assays for enzymatic activity. In EVERY lab we worked with spectrophotometers that measured absorbance, which we used to extrapolate the concentration of the protein. He were graded on accuracy and an "A" was achieved at an error rate no less than 10%.

I'm now in Microbial Physiology and Genetics lab and we also use the spectrophotometers to measure optical density...we basically use it to make sure our bacteria are growing. Now, in each lab the readings would drop after an hour of incubation...by every single machine we have! The TA's have made sure we're not doing something wrong and the professor has acknowledged that something is wrong with the machines. Now, I took biochem lab a month before this lab and nothing has been done to the machines because everyone was on break.

Now, if your grade is based on accuracy and you use faulty equipment...you will be wrong every single time; coupled with a professor who hates teaching and there little you can do about it...and dont even think about telling the biochem department they have crappy equipment, because they won't believe you. Excuses? Come on, that's not even fair. I'll give you my previously example of bad professors, but not this. Not trying to be pushy, but I rarely stand up for myself...guess times are changing.

But your right...excuses really don't mean much....actually they mean little if nothing at all. But this case isn't an excuse, simply a fact. Just had to clarify the situation so I hope you respect that.
 

Trookie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
171
1
Status
Hmmm, that's strange. I graduated from Tech a semester early with a 3.5. I've never really had a problem with faulty equipment or bad professors. Which professors were kicked off campus after teaching your courses? I'm curious. I know a lot have resigned due to budget cuts...
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
Trookie said:
Hmmm, that's strange. I graduated from Tech a semester early with a 3.5. I've never really had a problem with faulty equipment or bad professors. Which professors were kicked off campus after teaching your courses? I'm curious. I know a lot have resigned due to budget cuts...
One in particular was Wojcick; he wasn't allowed to teach after my class. Apparently they have had problems with him in the past...
 

Pikeyman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
257
1
Status
Land,

Boo F'cking Hoo!

I bet you blame every little s h i t that has happened in your life on everyone else but you.

You are full of it. You are. Grow up.

No wonder why VCU rejected you.

BTW, get some good old testicles, get >20 on DAT and >3.5 GPA. Then, you can talk crap about Maryland. Until then, shut that hole in your face.
 

Irene010

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
107
0
35
Louisville, KY
Status
Wow, you guys, I thought this was supposed to be a supportive community of people that give constructive advice? Way to be constructive, lemme tell ya....why so harsh?? :confused:

Landshark...its understandable that you might have gotten dealt some crappy hands during undergrad...but honestly, I bet if you ask every single applicant, you'd find that we've all been in situations where the equipment was crappy, or we were graded unfairly....those are all factors that are out of our hands, and we just have to deal with it.

The bottom line is that none of the adcoms care about any of that stuff...they can't investigate every little extenuating circumstance that effects every applicant's stats. So, we just roll with the punches and try to compensate in any way we can. We all have had to jump through hoops, trust me...thats what college is all about. If your GPA has suffered b/c of whichever circumstances that you couldn't control, then the DAT is your chance to prove that you really do know the stuff...even if you didn't Ace the class.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to treat the DAT as an opportunity to prove yourself...even if you don't agree with some of the sections being relevant. Trust me, I hated the PAT too...but theres really no way around it, so just study your a$$ off, rock the exam, and you'll love yourelf for doing it. Don't get all down about dentistry, just b/c you're a little discouraged...you're totally capable...you just gotta prove it now. :thumbup:
 

EkksDee

-xD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
28
0
37
Status
im also new :) nice too meet you all :D
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
Irene010 said:
Wow, you guys, I thought this was supposed to be a supportive community of people that give constructive advice? Way to be constructive, lemme tell ya....why so harsh?? :confused:

Landshark...its understandable that you might have gotten dealt some crappy hands during undergrad...but honestly, I bet if you ask every single applicant, you'd find that we've all been in situations where the equipment was crappy, or we were graded unfairly....those are all factors that are out of our hands, and we just have to deal with it.

The bottom line is that none of the adcoms care about any of that stuff...they can't investigate every little extenuating circumstance that effects every applicant's stats. So, we just roll with the punches and try to compensate in any way we can. We all have had to jump through hoops, trust me...thats what college is all about. If your GPA has suffered b/c of whichever circumstances that you couldn't control, then the DAT is your chance to prove that you really do know the stuff...even if you didn't Ace the class.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to treat the DAT as an opportunity to prove yourself...even if you don't agree with some of the sections being relevant. Trust me, I hated the PAT too...but theres really no way around it, so just study your a$$ off, rock the exam, and you'll love yourelf for doing it. Don't get all down about dentistry, just b/c you're a little discouraged...you're totally capable...you just gotta prove it now. :thumbup:
I completely agree with you...but I need to apologize because for whatever reason I feel I gave you (and everyone) the wrong impression about me. Maybe its the way I worded my responses, but I rarely (yes I'm being very honest) complain about these issues; sure they annoy me and I'm human. When asked about my grades I simply said, "I can do better." That was all I said when I spoke to a member on the admissions board at VCU. When asked about my DAT's I said, "I WILL do better." Thanked the person for seeing me and went on my way. I come from a very disciplined household and ran Track and XC under a VERY strict coach. From home and sports I learned to do what your told, never complain and don't do anything unless your going to do it right. Don't whine and when, not if, you fail don't make excuses but work harder so that it never happens again.

I don't want anyone on here to get the wrong impression about me, because apparently that's what I've done. No matter what comes my way I take it with a good attitude and I truly believe it happens for a reason. I didn't get into school this year and I know exactly why. So, I signed up for the Kaplan course, joined this site, shadowing with Dentists this summer and attending a meeting of the SouthWest District (where I plan to practice) Dentists in our area this Friday.

I appreciate the kind and supportive words...if you bash me then that's okay. I'm not sure why anyone would do it, ESPECIALLY on a site like this...but your only human too. Well I think so ;) j/k
 

Irene010

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
107
0
35
Louisville, KY
Status
Landshark said:
I completely agree with you...but I need to apologize because for whatever reason I feel I gave you (and everyone) the wrong impression about me. Maybe its the way I worded my responses, but I rarely (yes I'm being very honest) complain about these issues; sure they annoy me and I'm human. When asked about my grades I simply said, "I can do better." That was all I said when I spoke to a member on the admissions board at VCU. When asked about my DAT's I said, "I WILL do better." Thanked the person for seeing me and went on my way. I come from a very disciplined household and ran Track and XC under a VERY strict coach. From home and sports I learned to do what your told, never complain and don't do anything unless your going to do it right. Don't whine and when, not if, you fail don't make excuses but work harder so that it never happens again.

I don't want anyone on here to get the wrong impression about me, because apparently that's what I've done. No matter what comes my way I take it with a good attitude and I truly believe it happens for a reason. I didn't get into school this year and I know exactly why. So, I signed up for the Kaplan course, joined this site, shadowing with Dentists this summer and attending a meeting of the SouthWest District (where I plan to practice) Dentists in our area this Friday.

I appreciate the kind and supportive words...if you bash me then that's okay. I'm not sure why anyone would do it, ESPECIALLY on a site like this...but your only human too. Well I think so ;) j/k

Honestly, I think you really do have a great attitude...don't worry, people on this site often mean well, but when you're not face to face, its easy to be quick to judge. I have a great feeling that you'll do a great job of turning your application around this cycle...if nothing else, this experience will motivate you to push yourself even harder....best of luck to you! :luck:
 

EkksDee

-xD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
28
0
37
Status
ooo...ah forgot what iw as gonna say :p :confused: :idea:
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
Thanks Irene :)

Well just a side note: got an email (today) from VCU - rejection, which I already knew...lazy punks can't even send out a letter. Oh well, I'll still reply and thank them for their time. :cool:


They'll be seeing me again......dun dun dunnnnnn!! haha :D
 

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Irene010 said:
Honestly, I think you really do have a great attitude...don't worry, people on this site often mean well, but when you're not face to face, its easy to be quick to judge. I have a great feeling that you'll do a great job of turning your application around this cycle...if nothing else, this experience will motivate you to push yourself even harder....best of luck to you! :luck:
Dear Irene:
It's good to see people on this site who are kind and encouraging.


Dear LandsharK:
It is difficult to receive rejections even though you have the hunch that you are not going to be accepted. Rejections are always difficult. This difficulty may be filled with feelings and emotions. It is common to want to blame the professors, class, and whatever. Trust me, I know. I've blamed my parents for years for giving me pressure, for this and that. But when it really comes down to it; I have to face the issues and be responsible for my mishaps and my success. It is easy for me to blame my parents, and I find myself doing so when I fail, or when I am stressed. I realized that for myself, the more I became responsible the happier my life becomes, even though I still trip, but I have more control.

If you want to get into a dental school, then it is just a matter of time, perhaps a year, or two years. I don't know, but it is just a matter of time before you beome a dentist. I know.


Hey Pikeyman:
Cool it man. That kind of insulting comments is not cool. Just wait till you get rejected from something and see how you would feel. Mmmph. That's an interesting question. Pikeyman. How do you feel when you get rejected from something? That would be interesting to know.
 
OP
L

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
jk5177 said:
Dear Irene:
It's good to see people on this site who are kind and encouraging.


Dear LandsharK:
It is difficult to receive rejections even though you have the hunch that you are not going to be accepted. Rejections are always difficult. This difficulty may be filled with feelings and emotions. It is common to want to blame the professors, class, and whatever. Trust me, I know. I've blamed my parents for years for giving me pressure, for this and that. But when it really comes down to it; I have to face the issues and be responsible for my mishaps and my success. It is easy for me to blame my parents, and I find myself doing so when I fail, or when I am stressed. I realized that for myself, the more I became responsible the happier my life becomes, even though I still trip, but I have more control.

If you want to get into a dental school, then it is just a matter of time, perhaps a year, or two years. I don't know, but it is just a matter of time before you beome a dentist. I know.


Hey Pikeyman:
Cool it man. That kind of insulting comments is not cool. Just wait till you get rejected from something and see how you would feel. Mmmph. That's an interesting question. Pikeyman. How do you feel when you get rejected from something? That would be interesting to know.

Thanks buddy :D Well spoken!! I totally agree with you.
 

wimmcs

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
613
0
Arizona
Visit site
Status
Yes, welcome and if you are a "regular" you will learn to ignore the negative comments of loser trolls and you will gain tremendous insight from very knowledgeable people.
 

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
1,703
5
39
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
jk5177 said:
Dear Irene:
It's good to see people on this site who are kind and encouraging.


Dear LandsharK:
It is difficult to receive rejections even though you have the hunch that you are not going to be accepted. Rejections are always difficult. This difficulty may be filled with feelings and emotions. It is common to want to blame the professors, class, and whatever. Trust me, I know. I've blamed my parents for years for giving me pressure, for this and that. But when it really comes down to it; I have to face the issues and be responsible for my mishaps and my success. It is easy for me to blame my parents, and I find myself doing so when I fail, or when I am stressed. I realized that for myself, the more I became responsible the happier my life becomes, even though I still trip, but I have more control.

If you want to get into a dental school, then it is just a matter of time, perhaps a year, or two years. I don't know, but it is just a matter of time before you beome a dentist. I know.


Hey Pikeyman:
Cool it man. That kind of insulting comments is not cool. Just wait till you get rejected from something and see how you would feel. Mmmph. That's an interesting question. Pikeyman. How do you feel when you get rejected from something? That would be interesting to know.
Take it from Me Rejection can only make you stronger! Keep on truckin!