New Here... Am I crazy? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soldier Student

Future Pre Med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently a Soldier but will be departing service shortly due to service related injuries (thank you utterly worthless Army medical system!). I plan on pursuing medical school when I get out, and will hopefully be starting a pre med program this next fall!

I was a music major at Baylor University before I joined the military. I had a VERY rough year in my personal life and ended up dropping many of my classes (unfortunately as a fail) and fell into very dire financial circumstances, hence joining the Army! Needless to say I am ready to get at it again and do it right.

I have always been very passionately interested in medicine. I was pretty academic in high school (unless you count math! ha ha) and know what my capabilities are intellectually. I have to say though, being out of school for so long and playing in the sandbox instead has planted a seed of worry in my mind. I am a bit intimidated to be back in academics, and extremely worried about coming up with a way to put a roof over my head through school without cutting into study time which I know I will need to address specific academic needs (like math!).

My only goal from here on out is to be a doctor, and continue to fight for better treatment for Soldiers and veterans. Being a victim of malpractice has ignited a fire in me to help others, and medicine is how I know I must do it. Ultimately I plan on pursuing neurology.

Any advice that you guys might have for this non-trad is greatly appreciated! I know it is a long hard road ahead, but one I hope to enjoy. At least I already have the sleep deprivation thing down pat! Ha ha!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!

Former military service members usually have substantial G.I. Bill and/or disability to help fund their education. Hopefully you'll have one or both. If you're getting a medical discharge, does that mean you'll have military disability pay? I think most Universities have veterans affairs offices which assist veterans in finding financial aid and work study.

You can get through all of your science courses, volunteer work, and most if not all of your degree in 3 years. The time will just fly by.

Good Luck!

Hi Eek!

I will indeed receive the GI Bill which will entitle me to enough money to cover the rent, but there is always no way of knowing when the VA will *actually* get around to paying it. Also, I may not even get disability thanks to the new rules that the Army has created for medical discharges. All is up in the air! I don't count on anything from the Army or VA! ;)

I just really want to make sure that I am able to give enough time to my academics and volunteering. Perhaps I am overreacting, but I just know its so very important! I guess I am pretty ancy, and really just can't wait to start this thing! :soexcited:

Hi Eek!

I will indeed receive the GI Bill which will entitle me to enough money to cover the rent, but there is always no way of knowing when the VA will *actually* get around to paying it. Also, I may not even get disability thanks to the new rules that the Army has created for medical discharges. All is up in the air! I don't count on anything from the Army or VA! ;)

I just really want to make sure that I am able to give enough time to my academics and volunteering. Perhaps I am overreacting, but I just know its so very important! I guess I am pretty ancy, and really just can't wait to start this thing! :soexcited:

Your University's financial aid office can help you through the financing. Grants and Subsidized Federal loans should cover whatever the G.I. Bill or disability does not. Just be thrifty, use your school's financial aid and VA offices, and stay focused on school. Trying to work while getting through the premed curriculum seems to nearly always hurt GPA's. Texas has a low cost of living and many schools to select from. You're in a great state for a pre-med.

Making the decision to begin this journey is thrilling. Who knows...after a year of courses you may decide to go to law school (and pursue advocacy that way). You have many opportunities ahead.