1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

New Here, GPA question

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by ToraB, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ToraB

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi,
    I've kind of searched through some of the past threads but couldn't find exactly the answer I was looking for.
    I'm going to be graduating this May with a B.S in animal science. I have always wanted to be a vet but my advisor told me that I would probably never get in and advised me to pursue other career options. I will be graduating with all my pre-reqs done (my major and option allows for that even though I wasn't planning on applying to vet school) and have decided I really want to try applying to vet school. The problem is my GPA is low and I have 2 C- in pre req classes (I was taking 18 credits, all science courses and I didn't really care since I wasn't planning on applying to vet school) and a couple other C's scattered throughout. My overall GPA is a 3.3, Science GPA about a 3.0 and going to be taking the GRE soon 1000s of hours of animal and vet experience (large,small, zoo and research).
    What I am wondering:
    Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to take those courses I got a C- in again, after I graduate, at a different university? I was planning on taking some classes at my local university over the summer and fall, the two classes with a C- and possibly some higher level science/math courses. I know that Grad school is an option, and an option that I am looking into, but I really am not that interested in doing research. I know that people have to do things they dont' want to do sometimes and if necessary I will apply, I just don't like the idea of spending 2-3 years of my life doing something I don't really want to do.
    I know I'm not a super competitive applicant, but I feel that if I can get rid of the C-'s and do really well on the GRE and apply to a lot of schools, that I might have a chance somewhere.
    Any other suggestions?
    Sara

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie
    Administrator Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    As far as I know, you can retake the courses at another institution. The only thing is some schools average the two grades and some only accept the highest grade. You should check with schools you're interested in.

4. JIKJen124

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Others like TN only take the first grade into their calculations. Also, do you have a vet school in your state? If so, my advice is go pay them a visit (take all your stuff with you) and see what they have to say. Maybe just spending a year taking some extra science courses and getting A's (I've heard courses like vert/mammalian anatomy and physiology, histology, cell bio, and biochem) can really help if GPA is a problem .

Also, be sure to get diverse experiences while you still have time - that can definately help!

5. Habibti

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I don't know if this is exactly helpful, but I graduated with a 3.23 and 3.2(ish) in my required coursework.
    I had gotten a D in second semester O chem (which didn't actually count in the above calculations) and retook the course to get an A. If anything, although you may not be able to include it in the calculations, it shows that you CAN do the coursework. I also got a BC and C (respectively) in physics. My point being: Don't give up hope. Perhaps retake the classes and take some other classes to prove that you can handle the course work.

6. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie
    Administrator Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian

I thought that TN took both into account. At least that's what the dean said before the tour.

7. bakaduin

bakaduin UF CVM Class of 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    The way UF undergrad does it is to take the two grades as separate entities. If you took Orgo and got a C then took it again and got an A you just get them both averaged into your overall GPA. I imagine their vet school does the same.