New Here; NYU BA-MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lizette

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)
This is my first post - though I've lurked around here for a while.
I'm going to begin attending NYU this fall, and I was accepted into their BA/MD program. (Essentially, this means that although I'm still there for eight years (it's not an accelerated program), I've already received my acceptance into their medical school, upon graduating from undergrad. Although I do have GPA requirements and a research project to complete, I won't have to take the MCAT or apply again.)
I'm actually rather happy with all this - I've always wanted to live in New York, and I plan on staying there after all this anyway. This, however, does make my experience a bit different than the typical pre-med, since I won't be worrying about the MCAT or applications. Just curious as to how many of you have also taken part in such a program, and what your thoughts on it were. Any advice? (This also leaves me free to take more "fun" classes since I don't really have anyone left to "impress". I do, however, have to major in a science or a math. I've pretty much decided on biology).
Any advice? Suggestions? Thoughts on NYU perhaps (I've noticed that it's financial aid seems to leave alot to be desired, but I haven't heard many comments on the school itself)?
Thanks for everything! (I'll look forward to spending waaaay too much time here in the future.. :wink: )

Members don't see this ad.

I had no idea NYU had a BA/MD joint 8-year program.

When do you start the med school portion of the program?

Well, since I'm class of 2006 (College of Arts and Sciences) for undergrad, I'll be entering NYU Med the next fall in Sept. 2006 (NYU med class of 2010).
There's very few people in the program. About 800 people apply (They have guidelines on who can apply to begin with - GPA and SAT requirements, etc.) They pick about 20-something possibilities, and they gave us all trips to NY to go through a bunch of interviews. I think in the end they decide on about 10 people.
I've actually been really happy with NYU so far. I think it's a great fit. (and although I didn't get as much $ as I wanted, I did receive a considerable amount of merit aid from them, and they promised that as a BA/MD student, I'd have some sort of special consideration when it comes to financial aid for med school.)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on getting accepted into this very competitive program! I guess its a new program since I go to NYU med and I know nothing about it.

you'll have a great time at NYU undergrad. dont worry about med school you have 4 long fun years ahead of you. enjoy you're undergrad especially now that you have nothing to worry about. (im just thinking how much less stressful my undergrad would be if i didnt worry about getting into med school!)

Lizette,

I am in similar program for USC, xcept we still ahve gpa/mcat requirements altho they very low

SCOOTAD!

THERE YOU ARE! so ****ed up that you ditched CNN

You're lucky! :oops: Congrats on getting into this and good luck in the future. :) You are sooooooooo lucky you don't have to go through the application process! :)

And welcome to SDN! Beware of the addiction!

Thanks everyone... I feel very welcome. (Trying to avoid the addiction... but I think starting before you actually begin college is a bad sign :wink: . Don't know how well avoiding the addiction is going to turn out. Doesn't seem to be a bad thing though, look how well all of you turned out. :) )