New Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDKVEGAS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been on this for quite a while and well, I am wanting to see what you all think about my path so far and possibly what I can do to bolster my chances to get into medical school. I am a 21 year old Caucasian male.

B.S. in Religion: Theological Studies with a 3.65 GPA. My main emphasis was to understand why and what people believe in Theologically and Philosophically an how it impacted their decisions in life (including medicine).

Anatomy 1 A
Anatomy 2 A
Gen Chemistry 1 A
Statistics A
Psychology A

I am enrolled to take Gen Chem 2, Microbiology, Physics 1, and Gen Bio in the spring with the eventual continuation of pre-req's into the summer and fall semesters.

I realize my path is quite abstract and I have not really seen others with my degree on here yet.
I have received 1 "C" in my undergraduate program in Archaeology. How does that affect my chances?

As for extra curricular activities, I am currently enlisted in the Air Force as a Medic and have experience in Healthcare Admin as well. I have been on numerous humanitarian/mission trips to help those underprivileged. I have been volunteering as a Sunday school teacher for 6 years, am on a Samaritans Purse Disaster relief team in the southwest United States, and am a sponsored advocate for Compassion International in getting children sponsored. I also serve as a small group leader for a organization that is like Big Brother Big Sister and have 5 kids I mentor ever Wednesday and volunteer at the local USO in the airport. Additionally, I have shadowed a Cardiologist, Pediatric Cardiologist and Family Practice physician so far aside from the flight physicians I work with. I know I could probably do more but I am a little out of idea's. Also, I am still trying to figure out what I can do better and what to focus on. I know research is becoming more important but Nevada does not have a ton of opportunities.

Anyways, thank you for your insights.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
crossposting is against the rules. would have been best to not post either of the threads you did, and instead posted in the "What are my chances" with both MD and DO tags

(mods, in pre-osteo)

crossposting is against the rules. would have been best to not post either of the threads you did, and instead posted in the "What are my chances" with both MD and DO tags

(mods, in pre-osteo)
Sorry about that. I did not know about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
you seem pretty solid. i wouldn't worry about that c in archeology too much but be prepared to explain it.

either adcoms will see you like you see yourself, a unique applicant with a desire to serve humanity and please God or they'll take you as a religious nut.

adcoms think a lot about how a student will fit in with the culture of a school.

keep it up and pray for the best

Reactions: 1 user
yea you've got great unique ecs that you clearly enjoy and have devoted a lot of time to

just keep up the grades and nail the mcat

my prediction is that you'll get quick acceptances and quick rejections as well

yea you've got great unique ecs that you clearly enjoy and have devoted a lot of time to

just keep up the grades and nail the mcat

my prediction is that you'll get quick acceptances and quick rejections as well
Why is that if you dont mind me asking?

i think you'll get quick acceptances provided you keep up your gpa and do well on the mcat because you have a great application on paper. if you've got a great personality to go with it, a lot of schools will really like you.

religious obsession/fantacism/devotion, call it what you want, aren't as praiseworthy in our society as they are in other societies. this society is driven by fact, rational thought, pragmatism, science and the like. religiosity is downplayed, it's seen as a sensitive and generally controversial thing to bring up in a professional setting along with politics and other strongly opined subjects. you're ECs might just rub someone the wrong way.

having said all that, i re-read your post and there's nothing on there that screams that you're a religious nut. additionally, all major world religions advocate values of peace, equality, and compassion so it's not entirely bad. all in all, you seem like a very solid applicant. i wouldn't worry about these things right now. just focus on academics. and when it comes time to put your application together, put something together that doesn't get you an immediate rejection from schools when they might read your background in theology, the ECs, and whatever else you choose to put on.

this society is driven by fact, rational thought, pragmatism, science and the like.

1zei8mo.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

not an accurate portrayal as the demographic captured in premed/med professional circles is generally of a very educated and privileged class

Last edited: