New interview "method"... Fake applicants in disguise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if a medical school planted an "applicant" in the interview group who is actually a current med student in a suit? His/her job is to talk to as many of the interviewees and report back on who should be accepted. I for one think it's not a bad idea- many people can turn on the fake switch for an hour during a formal interview, but this could weed out some bad apples who don't know they're being watched... :smuggrin:

Has anybody else heard of this? My fraternity used to do this during rush to keep out any creepers. You'd be surprised how much people will open up about sketchy stuff if they don't think anyone important is listening. I know it's pretty unethical, but putting that aside, would you guys support it?

Side note to UMich's twitter account: This is all hypothetical... I ain't even mad.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a bad idea... However, it seems like this would only work a year or two before word of the "undercover" applicant got leaked.

Doesn't Carilion do a "speed dating" type thing? That could probably work as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might work for a while, but I'm pretty sure people would find out eventually (such as on SDN) and become even more paranoid. If someone can be on their best behavior for an hour-long interview, I'm pretty sure they can apply the same attitude towards ANYONE they talk to that day.

One of my current professors loves to go covert as a 'student' blending in and sit in with the class on the first day of the semester, just so she can hear all the convos of the students and hear what they say about her especially after 'being late' (one time a group said some real rude ####). She said the best part was when she got up with a "ok guys I'm your professor, let's start now". She said that group felt like utter crap the whole semester:laugh:

It would be hilarious though seeing the faces of applicants (who prob didn't have a chance anways) after finding out they just revealed the worse side of themselves. Then again it would royally suck if you were damn competitive and got setup like that.

Not gonna work on me. I have decided to adopt a perfect applicant's persona from start to end of interviewing day and have been working on that persona every weekend.

most of the people reading this thread already probably assume that admissions work like this

Hell, might as well wear your suit on the plane. You never know, an Adcom might be flying back from vacation and start talking to you when he sees you reading that medical ethics book.

I'd also like to know I'm meeting the "real" adcom member. They are representatives of the school, after all, and I'd hate to be deceived into attending an institution presided over by sociopaths good at "faking it." Good idea if I casually slip into the next board meeting with a brief case and Groucho Marx glasses and engage him/her in conversation?

That would be sweet if you got to be the spy person. The name's Banks. Carlton, Banks. :shifty:

carlton-dance_o_gifsoup-com.gif

Am I the only one who read the title and thought desperately socially inept applicants have their rich dads hire an actor and fly them out to interviews posing as the applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you have a twin or a sibling that looks almost identical to you? :cool:

Chances are unless they were raised by a different family their personality will be pretty similar to yours.

I think Hopkins does this no? Or they record everything I believe

I know the end goal is to get into med school. But, how bout just being yourself for a change :rolleyes: a odd idea I know.

Yea, I was just at an interview and one of the applicants did come in late, and later took a picture of all of us. We were in a conference room most of the day, alone, so maybe this guy was a mole? I wonder...:)

You'd be surprised how much people will open up about sketchy stuff if they don't think anyone important is listening.

I will never understand why people do this..I have heard so many stories about being arrested, hard drugs, sex and the rest from people I barely know, and the topic was only tangentially brought up...why are people so open about their lives? Especially the stuff that is not really topic with strangers...

One of my current professors loves to go covert as a 'student' blending in and sit in with the class on the first day of the semester, just so she can hear all the convos of the students and hear what they say about her especially after 'being late' (one time a group said some real rude ####). She said the best part was when she got up with a "ok guys I'm your professor, let's start now". She said that group felt like utter crap the whole semester:laugh:

It would be hilarious though seeing the faces of applicants (who prob didn't have a chance anways) after finding out they just revealed the worse side of themselves. Then again it would royally suck if you were damn competitive and got setup like that.

I had this youngish-looking teacher do this on the first day of class. I guess it was rush week a few days before, because a lot of the students next to me were talking about the shenanigans that had just happened. One of the "students" sitting in the middle row was laughing and cracking up at what the others were saying, and sort of egging them on. At about 8:00 AM, the guy stands up and looks at his watch, and says alright guys, I'm your teacher lets start class.

I had this youngish-looking teacher do this on the first day of class. I guess it was rush week a few days before, because a lot of the students next to me were talking about the shenanigans that had just happened. One of the "students" sitting in the middle row was laughing and cracking up at what the others were saying, and sort of egging them on. At about 8:00 AM, the guy stands up and looks at his watch, and says alright guys, I'm your teacher lets start class.

I was directing a model UN conference once for HS kids and accidentally chewed out one of their teachers. It's kind of ridiculous how young some people can look.

And yea... I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable telling total strangers about illegal activities... not that I would ever do anything like that :) :) :)

I will never understand why people do this..I have heard so many stories about being arrested, hard drugs, sex and the rest from people I barely know, and the topic was only tangentially brought up...why are people so open about their lives? Especially the stuff that is not really topic with strangers...

Welcome to America!

Would you like to blog about that?

I think it has something to do with the fact that we grew up in the internet age where sharing stuff about yourself is easy and practically consequence free. People just kind of disconnect from themselves and become open books b/c they have this mentality that it just doesn't matter.

She'd be my favorite professor ever!

I've heard that in certain Canadian schools, the rest stations of the MMI where you actually get to talk with a current student about random stuff is actually a station in itself.

Why can't people just be normal human beings? That would eliminate the need to worry about this.