New Jersey Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedAnes2017

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Current 4th year applying to Anesthesia residency in September. Since people were asking about residency programs in other regions, I thought I would ask too.

There are lots of information on NYC programs, but I couldn't find much on NJ programs, other than the post about how RWJ is on probation. I know there are Robert Wood Johnson, New Jersey Medical School (both are under Rutgers I believe), Cooper, St. Joseph (community program), and St.Barnabas (community program). Their websites really do not say much other than the formalities.

If you've heard anything about these programs or interviewed at these programs, I would appreciate any information on them. Also, how do these programs compare to NYC programs like Montefiore, St. Lukes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Current 4th year applying to Anesthesia residency in September. Since people were asking about residency programs in other regions, I thought I would ask too.

There are lots of information on NYC programs, but I couldn't find much on NJ programs, other than the post about how RWJ is on probation. I know there are Robert Wood Johnson, New Jersey Medical School (both are under Rutgers I believe), Cooper, St. Joseph (community program), and St.Barnabas (community program). Their websites really do not say much other than the formalities.

If you've heard anything about these programs or interviewed at these programs, I would appreciate any information on them. Also, how do these programs compare to NYC programs like Montefiore, St. Lukes?

I interviewed at RWJ, St. Barnabas, and UMDNJ Newark (this was >5y ago)

RWJ: I was mainly interested in pain fellowship. Nice area in NJ. Seemed decent to me, unremarkable.
UNDMJ Newark: I really liked and ranked highly. Nice schedule and cases and your right near the city or the burbs. Didnt end up here.
St. Barnabas: Decent. Very Small. Nice place to live and train in suburban hospital. Certainly not the educational experience of the other two. Ranked low.

I interviewed at RWJ, UMDNJ and St. Barnabas this past cycle.

RWJ: liked the program; nice area, PD is super cool. My only gripe was that they didn't have much regional exposure until you were almost on your way out. That and because they were on probation, I ranked the program low.

UMDNJ: Not as nice an area as RWJ, but great schedule, PD really cares about the residents, soo close to NYC. Newark isn't the best area but many residents dont live there; they live in the surrounding cities. Lots of trauma. Ranked high.

St. Barnabas: small, quieter program. Nice facilities (they have $$). Solid program. I ranked it lower on my list only because I felt like it was in the middle of nowhere and didn't click with any of the residents.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your replies! Did you guys also interview at NYC programs as well? If you did, how did NJ programs compare to NYC programs?

The pp anesthesia group was bought out at St. Barnabas so their residency is getting absorbed by RWJ I think.