New England Anesthesia Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cal75

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on programs in the area not affiliated with Harvard? Everyone obviously gravitates to the Boston programs but was wondering if there were any hidden gems in the area.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at (but didn’t attend) Maine Medical Center, which I thought was a great place, especially for those residents interested in private practice.
At the time it was a nice blend of a PP group, staffing complex academic cases and residents.

And Portland is awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have any insight on programs in the area not affiliated with Harvard? Everyone obviously gravitates to the Boston programs but was wondering if there were any hidden gems in the area.

tufts and BU in boston lots of good trauma and complex cases
i think all of the "big 5" in boston give you excellent training in reality

also heard good things about Uconn and Yale
avoid baystate, st. elizabeths, westchester

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hoya, I happen to work at one of the programs you said to avoid. I’m wondering if you have any real insight into these places or are just bashing the smaller programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hoya, I happen to work at one of the programs you said to avoid. I’m wondering if you have any real insight into these places or are just bashing the smaller programs.

Not trying to bash anyone just giving an honest account of my own experiences when I was on the interview trail and as a resident in that area - yes 10 years ago now

I’ll expand : ( again no offense but this was my impression at that time)

Bay state - malignant ( we had more than one transfer out and into our program and we heard stories )

West Chester - malignant overworked poor academics / lectures

St es- weak / easy case load

Last edited:
Not trying to bash anyone just giving an honest account of my own experiences when I was on the interview trail and as a resident in that area - yes 10 years ago now

I’ll expand : ( again no offense but this was my impression at that time)

Bay state - malignant ( we had more than one transfer out and into our program and we heard stories )

West Chester - malignant overworked poor academics / lectures

St es- weak / easy case load
Maine - malignant, weak training (also a while back). Only draw IMO is cool location.

I did locums in Nashua NH and surprisingly loved it. Its a weekend trip to Boston. Not sure why people don't want to live there it was nice. Good hiking. Theres a whole foods. Not sure if academic program nearby but would look if I was you

Maybe that was true ten years ago but that was a long time ago. I currently am one of the Baystate faculty. I trained at one of the larger Midwest programs with a good rep and comparatively Baystate is definitively NOT malignant. Good working hours. Residents usually relieved by 5pm or earlier. Good intraop teaching especially when I think of what I got where I trained. Good case variety unless you like transplants or high end neuro. My two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate the input everyone! Was particularly interested in UMass campuses so good to hear that Baystate isn’t malignant

Maybe that was true ten years ago but that was a long time ago. I currently am one of the Baystate faculty. I trained at one of the larger Midwest programs with a good rep and comparatively Baystate is definitively NOT malignant. Good working hours. Residents usually relieved by 5pm or earlier. Good intraop teaching especially when I think of what I got where I trained. Good case variety unless you like transplants or high end neuro. My two cents.
As a Baystate graduate from 12 years ago, I can say when I was there, it was definitely a great program, just as you described. I was very happy with my training and came out of the program with case numbers that far exceeded (doubled or tripled) many other programs. The only thing it lacked was a transplant program, with the exception of kidney transplants. I would highly recommend Baystate.

UConn is probably the hidden gem in the Northeast outside of Boston and New York.
High case diversity, residents supplement staffing but are not sole provider staffing the operating room like at Yale and MGH. Non call residents typically out at 5pm.
Residents given the best cases, many stay afterwards for fellowship or go away and return to practice in CT
High volume of cardiac, vascular, thoracic, trauma, cardiac/liver/kidney transplants, 100+ anesthesiologists on faculty with diverse training backgrounds
Greater Hartford is area one of hottest northeast markets in country to live. Low cost of living compared to most of the northeast with excellent schools, lots of outdoor recreational activities, close proximity to NYC/Boston/ski resorts.