New Job! How to use "Professional Expense Allowance"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaipanRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah! My first job out of residency... the real world begins!

So my new employer (Kaiser) gives us a $3000 annual "Professional Expense Allowance" for journals, societies, practice references (books and software apps), CME, travel expenses for conferences. This does not include license/DEA/exam fees which are covered separately.

Feels like alot of money, especially to someone who has avoided paying for ANYTHING cuz I didn't have money in residency.

My question is: how do most people use their money? Any good recommendations? (Wish I could get myself a laptop or ipad but that feels out of the scope...)

Members don't see this ad.

Meetings. Find a marginally interesting one in a good location. Tack 2 - 10 days onto the beginning or end of it. Pay for the extra lodging on your own. Enjoy a 50% discount on your vacation. And get CME/MOC credit as a bonus.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah! My first job out of residency... the real world begins!

So my new employer (Kaiser) gives us a $3000 annual "Professional Expense Allowance" for journals, societies, practice references (books and software apps), CME, travel expenses for conferences. This does not include license/DEA/exam fees which are covered separately.

Feels like alot of money, especially to someone who has avoided paying for ANYTHING cuz I didn't have money in residency.

My question is: how do most people use their money? Any good recommendations? (Wish I could get myself a laptop or ipad but that feels out of the scope...)

Agreed. Meetings will be the best way. Use the money for the ACP membership and then find a "regional" or national meeting. Make sure to do the simple steps to document your CME because you'll need for possible audits from state boards and hospital credentialing committees

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably get epocrates plus on my smartphone
and unlock everything from medcalc as far as apps go

I would probably pick out one physcial journal I *might* actually read

and then use the rest for CME, meetings if possible

find out if they do let you do a one time purchase of laptop or ipad if that will be helpful to you, some places will cover it and some won't, can't hurt to ask if that's what you really want

I always join the AMA and whatever is my specialty society just cuz

How about creative ways to use it:
1) Technology? Like a pocket ultrasound or super stethoscope or something. Optimize your workstation with three monitors, speech to text, neon lights.
2) Personal development, like one on one coaching?
3) International outreach. Attend an IM conference in developing country (I know ACP does conferences in India)
Just some random thoughts

Reactions: 1 user
High end fountain pens can sometimes fall under covered expenses as far as calling them office supplies/stationary. Probably easier if you can find a big chain store that sells FPs rather than a specialty fountain pen store or Montblanc store.

http://www.staples.com/Delta-Hippocratica-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Red-Blue/product_260197
^ they'd have a hard time denying a pen with a goddamn rod of aescepalus pen clip

But I'd probably go with something less flashy and more practical

http://www.staples.com/Pilot-Vanish...e-Black-Barrel-Blue-Ink-60580-/product_935788

Last edited:
a $412 fountain pen? really?

maybe all those complaints about physician spending weren't so far off....

(I'm giving you a hard time)