New Kentucky PMS-36 residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feli

Übermensch
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone still making application for 2008 externships, I received this via email from a 07 Barry grad who is PGY1 at KPRP. They're not on the CASPR/CRIP site yet, so I thought I'd post it. I think they are taking externs (free food/room) for next year and will enter match thereafter. Seems to have all the makings of a solid, trauma-heavy program that will be highly sought after... top 100 hospital, top 15 among those with an ortho residency...

"Kentucky Foot and Ankle Residency Program at Jewish Hospital and St Mary's Elizabeth Healthcare

Residency Director: Timothy Ford, DPM
142 Chenoweth Ln.
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 897-1616
e-mail: [email protected]
Externship Director: Robert Levine, DPM
Housing Provided: Yes
Meals Provided: Yes
Car Required: Yes
Cost: $0
Number of Residents per year: 3 (starting in 2008)
Salary: 1st $43,000
2nd $45,000
3rd $46,000
CME: $1,500

Professional: $1,000
State Licensure and DEA Licensure included: Yes
White coat per year: 1
Moving allowance: No
Insurance: Yes
Associated Hospitals: Jewish Hospital and St. Mary's Healthcare System (6 Hospitals in Metro Louisville)
University of Louisville
Various surgical centers

Rotations in months: Podiatry, Ortho/Trauma 6, ER 1, Vascular 1, Plastics 1, Pediatric Ortho 2, Foot and Ankle Ortho 2, IM 1, Anesthesia 1, Wound Care, Physical Therapy, Dermatology, Internal Medicine, etc.

Comments: University of Louisville is a level 1 trauma hospital. The residents, the director and the faculty from the Norton Audubon Hospital System elected to move to the Jewish hospital system. Please note that there are, for the time being, 2 residency programs in Louisville, KY. Links to the residency and externship program will be available on www.jhsmh.com

Jewish Hospital: http://www.jewishhospital.org/
University of Louisville: http://www.uoflhealthcare.org/ "

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I heard the same thing. I am concerned though because our clerkship director noted that they are not accredited, and are not even set at "candidate" status yet. So I was wondering how this would affect those looking to spend a month there? Any further info would be appreciated. I have heard nothing but great things about Dr. Ford and Dr. Levine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I heard the same thing. I am concerned though because our clerkship director noted that they are not accredited, and are not even set at "candidate" status yet. So I was wondering how this would affect those looking to spend a month there? Any further info would be appreciated. I have heard nothing but great things about Dr. Ford and Dr. Levine.

That is not true they are candidate and have been since September.

Ok thats nice to know. I was just going by what I was told. I think that the new program would be very interesting to look into a little more in depth. Thanks for the info.

I'm confused. Are we talking about KPRP or is there another one in addition to that program in Louisville now?

The almost all of the KRPR attendings followed the director to a new hospital system. The Norton Program was not respecting the residents at all, so the director did what was best for the residents and moved. Norton didn't like that b/c they have pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars from GME money (b/c they don't give squat to the residents or attenings).

So KRPR threw a bunch of money at two of the attendings who stayed to run the program. KRPR no longer has any affliation to U of Louisville (though the claim they do) and won't have enough cases for more than maybe, a big maybe, one resident a year. Jewish Medical, the new program, will have 3 residents a year and will be associated with U of L (the director is the director of podiatry at U of L). If anyone is interested in the program that is the place to be NOT KRPR.

The almost all of the KRPR attendings followed the director to a new hospital system. The Norton Program was not respecting the residents at all, so the director did what was best for the residents and moved. Norton didn't like that b/c they have pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars from GME money (b/c they don't give squat to the residents or attenings).

So KRPR threw a bunch of money at two of the attendings who stayed to run the program. KRPR no longer has any affliation to U of Louisville (though the claim they do) and won't have enough cases for more than maybe, a big maybe, one resident a year. Jewish Medical, the new program, will have 3 residents a year and will be associated with U of L (the director is the director of podiatry at U of L). If anyone is interested in the program that is the place to be NOT KRPR.

Interesting. You gotta love politics.

Hate to break the bad news to you Dr. Feelgood...ALL residency programs pockets HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars per resident every year and give the resident a portion of that money as annual stipend.

Guess what, the Jewish/St. Mary's program is doing the same as all of them too!

Hate to break the bad news to you Dr. Feelgood...ALL residency programs pockets HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars per resident every year and give the resident a portion of that money as annual stipend.

Guess what, the Jewish/St. Mary's program is doing the same as all of them too!

Hate to break it to you but you are wrong. There are many programs that lose money by having residents. GME support is based on the percentage of Medicare patients. Some programs that many be high Medicaid such as county programs or programs that are supported by the VA, do no make money off of residents via GME.

Second, have you ever been to either of the programs or are you aware of the situation in Louisville? If not, then why comment?

FYI: There is a big difference between making money while making sure your residents and director are being well paid, and making money while stiffing your residents and director. JMC is making U of Louisville's residency payment schedule, paying Dr. Ford for his work, and giving all involved the well deserved respect.​

Members don't see this ad :)
As the PGY1 here in Louisville, I can honestly say I have no regrets regarding the move to Jewish....Dr. Ford is an awesome residency director and has always put our best interest first.

As the PGY1 here in Louisville, I can honestly say I have no regrets regarding the move to Jewish....Dr. Ford is an awesome residency director and has always put our best interest first.

He also can crack walnuts with his pecs.

This residency sounds really nice! I wonder where it will be in a few years? Would most consider this on the track to a top tier program? It's in a great hospital system, and was ranked as one of the best orthopaedic hospitals in the country, which obviously means more exposure.

Of course, the disclaimer is that I am just a simple undergrad who is intersted in opportunities. DOes anyone have a direct link to the residency info on the website. I can't seem to find it.

This residency sounds really nice! I wonder where it will be in a few years? Would most consider this on the track to a top tier program? It's in a great hospital system, and was ranked as one of the best orthopaedic hospitals in the country, which obviously means more exposure.

Of course, the disclaimer is that I am just a simple undergrad who is intersted in opportunities. DOes anyone have a direct link to the residency info on the website. I can't seem to find it.

I think it is one of the top programs now. I don't think that they have a residency web page yet

Dr. Timothy Ford is a great guy. I had the opportunity to work with him when I was doing my externship at the Kentucky Residency Program. I still keep in touch with him from time to time.

When they say HOUSING PROVIDED = YES , what kind of housing are we talking here? I mean the condition of house, apartment or room? ,etc stuff.

Would it be alright to write Dr. Ford to see if I could go over there and shadow the program? I really want to see the type of training that goes on in residency.

Would it be alright to write Dr. Ford to see if I could go over there and shadow the program? I really want to see the type of training that goes on in residency.

It won't hurt to try to and start the communication process. You're best bet is to try to get in touch with one of the 1st years and find out when you can shadow them around when Dr. Ford is present.

When they say HOUSING PROVIDED = YES , what kind of housing are we talking here? I mean the condition of house, apartment or room? ,etc stuff.

For seattle it means a room in the hospital.
For Denver it used to be a hotel room (might not be provided anymore)
For Greeley it is a room available for rent in one of the resident's homes.
For INOVA it is a room in one of two houses about 20 minutes from the hospital.
For U of F in Jacksonville they may have med student dorms available for a fee.

Those are all the programs that I know of off the top of my head. Most programs if they offer housing will be similar to this.

Before you head to a program in your 3rd/4th year call one of the residents and ask what the housing includes. Most programs will send you info regarding the rules of the housing agreements after your are signed up to spend a month there.

For seattle it means a room in the hospital.
For Denver it used to be a hotel room (might not be provided anymore)
For Greeley it is a room available for rent in one of the resident's homes.
For INOVA it is a room in one of two houses about 20 minutes from the hospital.
For U of F in Jacksonville they may have med student dorms available for a fee.

Those are all the programs that I know of off the top of my head. Most programs if they offer housing will be similar to this.

Before you head to a program in your 3rd/4th year call one of the residents and ask what the housing includes. Most programs will send you info regarding the rules of the housing agreements after your are signed up to spend a month there.

The hospital room in Seattle wasn't that bad. It is not a far walk to get to downtown.

Denver now rents an apartment that the externs share.

The hospital room in Seattle wasn't that bad. It is not a far walk to get to downtown.

Denver now rents an apartment that the externs share.

That s_cks about Denver. I got put up in a hotel w/ free wireless, a pool, the room had a king size bed and a pull out couch and maid service everyday. And it was just a walk away from Wal-Mart!

I bought a $1 float for the pool and spent the weekends reading next to or in the pool. Denver in July - AAAh.:D

That s_cks about Denver. I got put up in a hotel w/ free wireless, a pool, the room had a king size bed and a pull out couch and maid service everyday. And it was just a walk away from Wal-Mart!

I bought a $1 float for the pool and spent the weekends reading next to or in the pool. Denver in July - AAAh.:D

They still have a pool (which I did use a ton) but I would have loved a maid and a king size bed. The privacy would have also been nice but luckily I was with 3 of my classmates.

West Penn gives you free dorm housing across the street from the hospital for your externship. The dorm is for medical and nursing students. It's like living in the dorms in undergrad, small room with bed and sink and a community bathroom on your floor. But, it's all free. Not bad to crawl out of bed at 5:20 for 5:30am rounds.

When I externed at the Kentucky Residency Program, the residency program was still based out of Vencor / Kindred Hospital in Louisville. They had secure hospital rooms for students to stay in. The rooms were clean and had TV and private bathrooms. I am not sure what they do now for housing since they have moved to the Jewish Hospital system. Kentucky Residency Program was probably my best externship experience at the time.

Housing at Jewish is provided at Spalding University Dorms....each student has their own private room, Wi-Fi, Kitchen, etc and is downtown a few blocks from Jewish downtown. As far as shadowing with a resident, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

our incoming resident positions are filled

Why does the program typically have unfilled advanced positions (PGY-2, or PGY3)? This does not appear to be a common occurance at other programs...

Why does the program typically have unfilled advanced positions (PGY-2, or PGY3)? This does not appear to be a common occurance at other programs...

The advanced unfilled positions (last year and this year) are because when we were at Norton we were approved for 2 residents per year and when we moved to Jewish we were immediately approved for 3 residents per year.

We never wanted to nor attempted to fill the two "vacancies" (1 pgy-2 and 1 pgy-3) because we were happy with 2 each of PGY-2's and PGY-3's. We currently have our full compliment of PGY-1's and incoming residents.

The way the CASPR/CRIP system lists programs makes it seem like we are trying to fill those positions, which in reality we are not.

The advanced unfilled positions (last year and this year) are because when we were at Norton we were approved for 2 residents per year and when we moved to Jewish we were immediately approved for 3 residents per year.

We never wanted to nor attempted to fill the two "vacancies" (1 pgy-2 and 1 pgy-3) because we were happy with 2 each of PGY-2's and PGY-3's. We currently have our full compliment of PGY-1's and incoming residents.

The way the CASPR/CRIP system lists programs makes it seem like we are trying to fill those positions, which in reality we are not.

That's good to know. What are you doing in your avatar?