New leukemia physician career advice

Started by CD15
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CD15

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I will be starting a job as an adult leukemia specialist at a large academic center.

I will be focusing on acute leukemias.

However, I am looking of ways I can make myself stand out in the department by focusing on a specific issue.

Given the large setting major disease types like ALL, AML etc are already taken by other people, so is a hereditary cancers clinic.

Do you have any other suggestions for areas within leukemia I can focus on, clinically or biologically, so to speak?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 
You could focus on post transplant patients may be?

Its leukemia has become much more complicated now. Possibly be even that FLT-3 positive AML person ? Also may be get into a project, clinical trial etc so you can be that goto person for that sort of disease
 
Hi MD46.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately we do not see post transplant patients. They are followed in transplant department.

There is already a FLT3 person 🙂

I am working on a major trial in the department but that still doesn't differentiate me.

I wonder what we will be doing as oncologist 5-10 years from now that I can start today.