New MCAT Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imani44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows that the MCAT is changing and I am one of the many unlucky students that have to take this version. This new MCAT has statistics. My question is should i be taking statistics or calculus in college?
My major only requires one of them and I was planning on doing calculus until i heard of this change. will calculus even be on the new MCAT? Which class would benefit me the most?

Members don't see this ad.

In my case, because I'm pre-med, I am required to take a stats class as well as calc 1. However, for my majors, one requires less math and the other requires more. I can see how you're thinking. There is a lot of calculus in physics and chemistry and both are covered in the MCAT. So yes, I would recommend taking a stats and a calculus class.

In my case, because I'm pre-med, I am required to take a stats class as well as calc 1. However, for my majors, one requires less math and the other requires more. I can see how you're thinking. There is a lot of calculus in physics and chemistry and both are covered in the MCAT. So yes, I would recommend taking a stats and a calculus class.

Are you saying that calculus is on there, or is it only displayed through physics and chemistry questions?
I took pre-calc and got a 96 in the class so would that be enough of a foundation to be able to handle the physics and chemistry questions (assuming ive already taken both physics and chemistry)
Im asking just in case I only have room for 1 before i take the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there's really that much calculus in chemistry. There certainly is in physics, but I have a hunch that what's required won't be too advanced.

Disclaimer, I haven't taken the MCAT. In fact, I'm also taking the MCAT2015. I won't be taking Calc in college, but that's because I took quite a bit of calculus in high school, and I'm done with it.

Calculus is displayed through physics and chemistry questions (and quite intensely).
If you only have room for one of the courses before the MCAT, I would definitely recommend calculus.

hmmm alot of mixed opinions. I wish i knew how much calc would be on the new MCAT. I took AP calc in high school and got a 98, and got an A in pre-calc in college so im hoping that is enough math skills to get me through bc i dont want to overload my semester with calc and stat. I would rather study for the MCAT and take 1 of those courses.

Stats is on the new MCAT? I had heard of biochem, sociology, and psych being added, but I never heard that about stats.

if you took AP Calc in HS there is no way you need to take college calc. There won't be anything beyond basic differentiation and MAYBE integration for some of the physics problems... that's it. right?

Stats is on the new MCAT? I had heard of biochem, sociology, and psych being added, but I never heard that about stats.

yeah i talked to my pre-med counseler and he told us all of those that you listed plus statistics is now going to be on the exam, that why im confused on which to take now.
He said they added that element because physicians deal with statistics daily so its something med students need to know to be successful.

Ahh...found it:

"Among the research methods and statistics concepts applicants need to demonstrate are basic probability, measures of central tendency, measures of variability, confidence intervals, statistical significance levels, graphical presentation of data, hypothesis formulation, independent and dependent variables, hypothesis testing, and reporting research results. At most colleges and universities, students learn these concepts in introductory biology, chemistry, physics, and biochemistry courses and labs, as well as in introductory psychology and sociology courses."

I found stats to be a pretty useful class in general, but it sounds like they are just testing the most basic concepts for the mcat. You could probably teach yourself the main points with a couple hours of googling if you really don't want to take the class.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh...found it:

"Among the research methods and statistics concepts applicants need to demonstrate are basic probability, measures of central tendency, measures of variability, confidence intervals, statistical significance levels, graphical presentation of data, hypothesis formulation, independent and dependent variables, hypothesis testing, and reporting research results. At most colleges and universities, students learn these concepts in introductory biology, chemistry, physics, and biochemistry courses and labs, as well as in introductory psychology and sociology courses."

I found stats to be a pretty useful class in general, but it sounds like they are just testing the most basic concepts for the mcat. You could probably teach yourself the main points with a couple hours of googling if you really don't want to take the class.

ohhhh okay well that doesnt sound too bad. I have to take one of the maths so to be safe, calculus could probably help me out for the MCAT when it comes to physics.

ohhhh okay well that doesnt sound too bad. I have to take one of the maths so to be safe, calculus could probably help me out for the MCAT when it comes to physics.

Calculus-based physics is neither required nor on the MCAT. You also won't need any calculus-based chemistry; the only time you might need that is if you'd like to be able to derive the rate laws with calculus, but you don't need to be able to do that.

Reactions: 1 users
Calculus won't be on the new MCAT, directly or indirectly. Looking at the content areas, all of physics is algebra based, as is chemistry. Stats is important for research of any kind so it is useful to take stats for that, in addition to the fact that research methods/stats will be on the MCAT.

Amazing....14 posts to roundabout answer a question that's the first result in a google search.
stats
math

Edit: So no to calculus. Yes to introductory statistics with an emphasis on research design + the math in your physics w/o calculus class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

There is zero calculus on the current MCAT, and there will be zero calculus on the new MCAT. The only calculus anyone would see in a physics class is if they took calculus-based physics, which most premeds choose not to do, and it would only show up in higher level chemistry courses (i.e. p-chem) that are generally only taken by chemistry majors.

I am a chemistry major, thus that formed my opinion on math.
Yeah, whoever told you that was wrong. Zero calculus on the old or new mcat.

My question is this: would it be beneficial to take Genetics, Molecular Biology, and/or Anatomy & Physiology for the new MCAT? Or is what is covered in General Biology sufficient?

With the fact being that there is no calculus kind of makes me a bit less stressed to say the least!
The courses you have mentioned, I have taken all of them. I'm not sure they will be addressed in the new MCAT but I've been told that biochemistry is a good class to take before having the MCAT so I have a biochem class scheduled for next semester.

You will definitely need biochem for the new mcat.