New Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superman19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot about plans for new medical schools. Does anyone know how many will be opening within the next 2-3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

There is also plans at the University of California to create a new med school at the Riverside campus. I think that its still a few years down the road however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Virginia Tech will be opening a second medical school (already has research ties with VCOM, an osteopathic school in Blacksburg) with an affiliate hospital chain in the New River Valley. The first class will begin in 2009 or 2010, if I remember correctly. I think the plan is to keep class sizes small (~50) and heavily emphasize research.

I'm sure you can Google an article easily.

There is also plans at the University of California to create a new med school at the Riverside campus. I think that its still a few years down the road however.

Its supposed to open in 2012.

Florida International University :thumbup: will be opening up there medical school in 2009.

Univeristy of Central Florida also was also approved to open up a medical school but i am not sure when they plan to open.