Quantcast

New Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Anyone applying to the new medical schools? There's two in Florida and one in Texas. Thoughts about it as it's a new school and how you will do in the future (ie/ residencies etc...)

DrSno

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Texas Tech El Paso. I'd only go there if it was my only allopathic acceptance.

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I obviously didn't apply to any of the schools you asked about, but my school is pretty new too. (Our first class will be graduating this year, and I'm in the third class.) It pretty much comes down to how risk-averse you are. If you're a state resident of Florida or Texas, it makes sense to apply to all of your state schools, even the ones that are new. You can always withdraw later if you decide that you're not comfortable with taking the risk of attending a new school. Having attended a new school, I don't think it's as big of a deal as it might seem to a premed. Just my opinion.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new FL schools have low OOS rates?? I was under the impression most FL schools did.

umean2tellme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to the two in florida as I am a florida resident. I live like less than 20 minutes away from FIU campus. Idk about how tuition will be, but UCF is giving full scholarships to the opening class aren't they?

umean2tellme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ouch.

On another note I am almost done with FIU secondary but they want a photo. Are there any other schools that ask for photos for secondaries? I haven't heard of it before, but last cycle i didn't apply to that many schools so I got a small sample size.

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think so far every secondary I have gotten has asked for a photo.

umean2tellme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where is the official "Is this picture the right amount of sexy for a secondary app" thread???